Author Topic: 2008 deer hunting and general hunting adventures - POSSIBLE BLOODY PICS INSIDE!!  (Read 38078 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
It's getting close to rifle season for deer in most nor cal zones, and I believe early dove is already open.  Rather than have everything spread out I figured I'd start a thread to keep it condensed in one area, kinda like last year.  So please feel free to post kill pics (as long as you don't fall for the p.c. crap and say you harvested it :shake: ), hunting pics, stories of adventures from your hunts, lay out your season plans or ask advice of your other hunters.  And please feel free to post pics of your guns too  :thumbs:

So here goes:  I was coming back from fishing the other day and figured I'd stop by fish and game to snag my salmon and steelhead punch cards and hunting license.  $80 later I had my salmon and steelhead punch cards, hunting license, upland game bird stamp and B zone deer tag... something I hadn't planned on. 

Since I hadn't planned on deer hunting I hadn't considered buying ammo, but now I kinda have to since I'll blow what little I have zeroing the scope again.  I've known many hunters who just buy whatever ammo is on the shelf down to the wally world, but I like to do a little research on ballistics before making my purchase.  If you've never done so yourself, you may be very surprised by how drastically different similar rounds can be even from the same manufacturer.  Here's an example of 95-100 grain loads for my .243 from federal:  http://www.federalpremium.com/products/compare/rifle_compare.aspx .   EDIT: that link just comes up with their general ammo list instead of the 4 .243 rounds I'd tried to link.  If anybody is curious I chose the 3 100 grain rounds and the 95 grain load too.  I believe I'll be purchasing the 100 grain Sierra GameKing BTSP since it has very good performance, but I'm guessing it'll run $35-40 a box  :ack:

I know I'll probably never take a shot over 300 yards, and with local forests being so dense it's fairly rare to make a 100 yard plus shot around here, but I like to know my ammo will perform well up to 400-500 yards.  I know my rifle is very accurate because I always end up losing one shot of a 3 shot group when sighting it in, stand there  :headscratch:  trying to find it until I notice I've put 2 bullets through the same hole.  Happens every year.  It was a very cheap, low budget entry level rifle when introduced, but ultimately met it's demise when remington wasn't selling enough of their more expensive rifles since these were cheaper and more accurate  :haha:  I liked it so much I bought the first one I could find in .308!  Some day I hope to have one in each caliber they had available, which I think was .222 remington (yup, .222, not .223), 22-250, .243, 6mm, .308 and 7mm-08. 

I'd really like to get into some doves around here, but I don't know where to find them in the valley  :dunno:  I can't wait for quail, pigeon and grouse to open!  I saw a monster fat grouse standing out in the open on the way back from my last hike and it made me  :drooling:

That aint it, but I don't wanna clog up the first post with too much bs.  So fire away, let us know your plans, what you've done in preperation, what you've shot so far and what you're planning on doing this season!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I'll have to pass this by the mods, but much like they allow pics of scantilly clad girls in the gbg thread only, maybe they'll allow people to post firearms for sale/trade in this thread only  :crossed:  I know I'd sure like to get rid of my mauser if I could!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
damn you stop tempting me with that...I have an engine to build. :nonono:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
:yupyup:  He he he he he... sucker.... oh wait, I need to finish my 4by before deer season too  :bolt:
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I am not a hunter myself but ironically I work for a company that sells and manufactures ammo, heh. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about the Condor hunting restrictions that were enacted last December in regards to hunting in Condor habitat zones using lead ammo.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/

The gist of it is that in those zones designated as Condor habitat you can and will be searched to make sure you do not even have any kind of lead ammo with you, regardless of wether or not you are going to use it. They are really serious about this so don't risk it. If you check out that link you can find a map of the zones and more information on it, as well as a list of "safe" ammo.

Also if you are looking to save a little money you could wait for a gun show to come through your area and find our booth. We sell wholesale ammo and you can save a lot of money especially if you buy bulk. Anyway go to a gun show and look for the booth with the big yellow sign that says "WHOLESALE AMMUNITION". Thats us. We have a list of gun shows we will be attending on our website:

http://www.miwallcorp.com/schedule/

Hell you never know, you might even run into me :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for adding the lead free info!  I do have to mention though, for some strange reason just because you're hunting within the no lead zones doesn't mean you CAN'T use lead ammo... very odd.  I'll have to dig up the article if I can find it, but it's more of a restriction than a total ban I guess.  That said, ammo companies are working their asses off to come up with a suitable replacement that can obtain similar ballistics, weight retention upon impact, etc.

You need to let me know if you'll be at any gun shows up in northern california so I can come by and shoot the :pokinit:, and you should talk the uppers into letting you offer a Marlin Crawler discount at the shows  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

Caboose

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 62
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Truth... Justice... Honor...
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I'll have to pass this by the mods, but much like they allow pics of scantilly clad girls in the gbg thread only, maybe they'll allow people to post firearms for sale/trade in this thread only  :crossed:  I know I'd sure like to get rid of my mauser if I could!

All i have to say is calguns.net   got to their forums.  Its mainly a bunch of firearms enthusiasts that live in CA (Because it is hard to find "cool" firearms that are CA compliant.  You can buy/sell anything there from 20rd mags (altered to 10rd capacity) to full on firearms themselves.  If you are looking for CA regulations and laws on firearms and hunting, it is also is a great source for information.  They explained to me how you can legally own an AR-15 in the state of CA, and i bought a CA legal AR on that site.  Great people, Great information.  Like a marlin board for firearms collectors.  The best part is that it is focused on CA, I dont know if you have ever tried to buy Glock Mags or any other kind of Mag before, but its hard to find 10rd magazines for CA residence @ a cheap price.  This site helps with that.  Although i would like a firearms section on this site, would be cool.  *hint hint mike*  anyways, not to advertise another site on here, marlin still rocks the rocks!
"Who let the jeeps come?
Easy... easy..." -2 people on the CB

81 Toy Pickup SR5
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35701.0

Daily Driver: 96 Dodge Ram 2nd DD/Tow Rig

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Again, thanks for the good info  :thumbs:  There's also gunbroker.  I've never used them but do know other board members have in the past and seemed to be happy with them.  I'm in the process of checking the legality of purchasing a gun from somebody in another state but have got mixed info on which clips you can have, if you can purchase a model that isn't available in ca., etc.
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
does hitting a deer with my truck count? :_oops:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Depends, did you tag it?  :gap:
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for adding the lead free info!  I do have to mention though, for some strange reason just because you're hunting within the no lead zones doesn't mean you CAN'T use lead ammo... very odd.  I'll have to dig up the article if I can find it, but it's more of a restriction than a total ban I guess.  That said, ammo companies are working their asses off to come up with a suitable replacement that can obtain similar ballistics, weight retention upon impact, etc.

You need to let me know if you'll be at any gun shows up in northern california so I can come by and shoot the :pokinit:, and you should talk the uppers into letting you offer a Marlin Crawler discount at the shows  :thumbs:

Yeah I will definitely let you know. I don't have my winter schedule yet so I don't know which shows I will be working. I'll post here when I do, Marlin discount is definitely possible!! :D
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't worry Nate.  Diane was very clear that as long as the title had a warning, it was cool.   :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Depends, did you tag it?  :gap:
with the truck :gap:

but no, i dont hunt. i would if i could though.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Yeah I will definitely let you know. I don't have my winter schedule yet so I don't know which shows I will be working. I'll post here when I do, Marlin discount is definitely possible!! :D

:crossed:  c'mon, Reno!! 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
well ive been slacking on this one, been back from alaska for 12 days now and been hunting one morning at my ranch and 1 evening trying to get a girl-friend a buck at her ranch.  Since I am 100% free for whatever right now im just waiting for good weather and then I will put in some big hours and wait it out for a big buck.  So far I passed up a really nice forked horn at my place and 2 small ones at the chicks place and saw 2 absolute monsters.  I hopefully will be going back out there in an hour or so since its only about 10 minutes from my house

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
I guess I could post up the buck my dad got the day before I got home and the bear he got 15 seconds after we split up on the only day ive hunted so far

both were within 100 yard of the house after LONG hikes

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
both were within 100 yard of the house after LONG hikes

:haha:  aint that always the way!  I can't shoot the bucks that were on my property, but I have seen good sign on my hikes and they're predicting a very good deer season since we had so many fires!
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Oh, and that looks like a very nice buck!  I can't believe how thick it's neck looks already, unless it's just an illusion.  I'm guessing that bear is kinda smallish?  At least it's a :pokinit:-pile easier to drag out a 200 pounder than a 300-400 pounder.  A little bit extra weight sure gets that much harder to handle when it's dead weight.
RIP KYOTA

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
ya the bear was maybe 200 pounds but the buck had a huge body and like 1" of fat all around already.  Our property is A and B zones so this weekend ill go scope out the b side and see whats up over there

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
the buck had a huge body and like 1" of fat all around already

:yikes:  this early?  Holy crap man, you don't usually see that till late in the season!
RIP KYOTA

MilitaryJeeper13

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
Anybody going elk hunting this year in Utah??  This is my first year of elk hunting and wondering if anybody had tips or if you are going out..  I would definatly be down for getting together maybe huntin or what not....  Hope everyone has a great Hunting season!!!

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
never elk hunted and know nothing about it but need to learn because I just got the hookup of a lifetime on a huge private ranch in colorado for next season

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
That kinda reminds me, how'd alaska go? 
RIP KYOTA

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
unbelievable fishing up there is all I have to say, ill be making a thread of pics one of these days its just gonna take a bit since i have about 900 pics but it'll happen.  Alright well im out of here to get my hunt on for a few days

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Doesn't really count, but I went to dump some old bread at the corner of our property when leaving to meet friends last night and heard something rustling in the bushes by my landlord's house.  It was crunching the leaves too slow to be a cat, mouse/rat or squirrel so I figured it had to be a snake.  Grabbed the flashlight and looked where I heard it last and saw a black and white tail section of a snake, threw a chunk of bark in the bushes and it crawled up on the ledge....  ::)  great, a rattle snake.

Went in the house to grab the .22 but snagged the pellet gun since it's on the side of the house facing the neighbors.  It's a pita trying to aim and shoot from the hip with one hand while holding the flashlight with the other  :yupyup:  but I *think* I hit it in the head.  Wherever I did hit it at least slowed it down and got it docile enough that I could pull it off with the shovel and chop off the head.  I went to leave about 10 minutes later and the body was still full on crawling around the driveway so I stuck a piece of firewood on it and it still slithered out from underneath it!  Thought for a second and remembered my landlord had a steel wheel sitting nearby, so I snagged it and stuck it on the body so it'd be there when I got home so I could snag the rattles.

Oddly, something started chewing on the rattles so I don't know if the last one is the end, but I count 9-10 rattles still, depending on how you count them.  The body with head was over 36 inches, pretty good size for around here!
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Naa, if I'm gonna eat snake it'll be properly prepared first.  I chucked it over on the corner of the property, so it'll be dinner for something else now  :gap:
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Just got a "Wow" out of yer Ma...  she walked up behind me just as I got to your post.

Nice snakey!  Glad you found it instead of me.  I've only seen a couple small ones over the years.  Probably missed many more that stayed quiet as I passed.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.