Author Topic: 2008 deer hunting and general hunting adventures - POSSIBLE BLOODY PICS INSIDE!!  (Read 38077 times)

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Where was that? Musta been awhile ago with the velvet still on
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
yosemote

Werd, that's it.  I'd :pokinit: if I saw one like that in the woods!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Hahaha you have the face of a total jerk in that second pic!

Nice bucks tho...

Haha I know I wasn't ready at all, I was still trying to pick it up for a picture.

Thanks buddy :P
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

toyoder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 211
  • Male Posts: 704
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
one i got from this season 3x2
zuk tube buggy
22re powered

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Nice one vin  :thumbs: Where'd you get it?

Do you ever get them walking through your property?  I think the fires kicked them up and got them moving.  I'd only seen one at my place in almost 2 years, then during or just after the fires I saw 4 different bucks in one week at my place!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyoder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i got this one up above French gulch but i could have filled my tag a dozen times from all the deer in back of my property this year
zuk tube buggy
22re powered

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
And why didn't you?  The only reason I didn't shoot any of the ones at my place was because my landlord wouldn't let me, but if he woulda given the ok I would have snuck out in the early morning hours and popped the big 4 point.
RIP KYOTA

toyoder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
because i have neighbor's all around me who would freak out  :screwy: i guess they would rather nail them going down placer rd  at 60mph in there new bmw  :screwy:
zuk tube buggy
22re powered

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
you guys need to use a bow and take advantage of these neighborhood deer.  you would be amazed where some of my buddies hunt in sonoma

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Seriously!  I live on a narrow, long 37 acres chunk, but only a few or so are accessable.  My landlord has been talking about cutting more trails around the property for a couple years, and when he does I'm really hoping he'll allow me to hunt off the upper end of the property!  He's afraid if I shoot one with a bow right now it'll run the 80-100 feet to a neighbor's yard and die, but if he clears it all the way up to the upper end of the property I should be well away from anybody else and could even legally shoot one with a rifle if he'd let me  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
why do you need a trail, get in that :pokinit:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Me and poison oak do NOT along, I get it super bad very easily, not to mention the whole property is so overgrown you can't see a deer standing 10-15 feet inside the cover.  If he cuts the trails and lets me, I'll go in and thin it out so I can move freely, I'll just have to have him do the clearing in spots with poison oak cause he doesn't get it.
RIP KYOTA

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
you sound like my grandma

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
:haha:  naw man, she's probably less of a ninny than me  :haha:  I didn't used to have poison oak issues, but I started getting it again in my early 20s and get it super easy now, super bad.  It sucks cause I can't just plow through the woods like I used to.
RIP KYOTA

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
i would hate that, i used to get it bad but i think i build up an ammunity to it now i just get little spots and i plow it hard

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
The fucked up part is I HAD an immunity built up through highschool, it just went away when I stopped being able to go out so much.
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
I have never gotten poison oak in my life (knock on wood) but my girlfriend has gotten it really bad 3 or 4 times since we have been together and even sleeping in the same bed and what not I never even got it a little.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Lucky!  I may try and rub it on my legs or something every few days starting next spring, just to try and build up an immunity.  It'll suck anus to have it, but if I can keep it just on my legs I'll be able to resist scratching it.  I also should try getting the shots too.
RIP KYOTA

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
ya cant you just get a shot of cortizone on be good for the whole summer pretty much?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I've been told that, just never investigated.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
A little question here.  Since the day a couple weeks ago when the coyotes woke me up at 3am and kept me awake (I guess barking and chirping within 50ft of my house is fun for them) I've decided I need to get a .22 rifle that will shoot shorts.  I have a marlin model 60 that shoots longs just fine, so I bought some cci sub sonics and they were nearly as loud as my federals.  Got some cci short sub sonics and they're quiet enough to shoot by the house in the wee morning hours without waking the neighbors, but there's not enough charge to cycle my action.

My question is about 2 specific bolt action rifles.  I narrowed it down to either a remington 504 or a marlin model 981t.  Either rifle has it's benefit on paper, the remington being very very accurate, while the marlin has a tubular magazine under the barrel, which I like much more than the typicall awful and awkward looking removable magazines on most .22 rifles.  Who has shot or owned either of these 2 models, and what were your opinions of them?
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
Not mine, but I just ran across this & thought some of ya might find it interesting. 
If it's a repost, I'll apologize now and delete the post.

Mike Smith of Clay Center thought he had shot the buck of a lifetime when he walked up on this 27-pointer on Dec. 3.
He found out it was an antlered doehttp://www.kansas.com/news/updates/story/626780.html

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
That's pretty crazy!  I know it's probably just a genetic mutation, but I kinda wonder if it's possibly the result of inbreeding  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
That's pretty crazy!  I know it's probably just a genetic mutation, but I kinda wonder if it's possibly the result of inbreeding  :dunno:

True....
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 193
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
you guys need to use a bow and take advantage of these neighborhood deer.  you would be amazed where some of my buddies hunt in sonoma

you want to talk about neighborhood deer about 3 monthes ago we where doing a job in PG(pacific Grove) its by montery, and the was a doe and 2 fawns using a damm cross walk, they are so damn protected by all the tree huggers over there that you can almost walk up to them.

not about deer huntin but last weekend me, my dad, and his frend went hog huntin on a really big cattle ranch in holister i think the name of the ranch is the Gablin ranch or somthin like that. But the owner of that ranch is the guy who donated the land that is holister hills OHV (where top truck challenge is held) never got to meet the owner but i met his grand son conner he was a cool guy. that ranch was full of history from a road carved in a hillside by chinese imagrant workers, to the remains of a fort wall from when califronia was taken from mexico.

i got a decent sized sal. shot her arrowned noon. she probably weighed 120 pounds skinned out. it was a mest up shot we where stalkin her and she seen us b4 we seen her she started to turn and run so i took a knee and drew up and shot and it went threw the heart and out the right shoulder/fore arm bone, it looked like she was movin slower, but my dad over to the left of me and have a better veiw as they where runnin and said they where movin fine, there was also no blood where he said that they had gon threw so we all just figured i missed. when we where walking back to the truck we seen a couple of leafswith a good amout of blood on them probably about 10-15 yards away from where they went threw at, so we tracked that and about 30 yards from where i shot her there she was. she rolled down a really steep hill and he forgot the remote for the winch so it was a long day. ill try get one of my frends that knows what he is doing with computers to put some pics up for me. oh and i hunt with a browning 30-06. and i carry a S&W .375 security six revalver just in case i need to go in the brushes after a wonded hog.

How do you guys like the copper bullets that we are required by law to use when hunting now? i have heard people complain about them but i think they just use it as an excusse cause the suck at shooting.i didnt notice a diferece when i shot them? Any one else notice any thing?
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2008, 02:15:46 AM by brandon95 »

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
was a doe and 2 fawns using a damm cross walk
We always have deer in town, usually including a handful of bucks.  Several years ago I saw a buck standing at a crosswalk and looking both ways.  When the traffic cleared, he walked across just like he knew what he was doing.   :yupyup:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
How do you guys like the copper bullets that we are required by law to use when hunting now?

Speak for yourself  ;)  Only a handful of areas around the state are required to use non-lead bullets, not necessarily copper.  It will get better as more companies put some time into making some good bullets, but I believe barnes has some exceptional bullets available, and as usual federal is loading them in some very nice rounds.  Federal does a great job of making ammo that's incredibly accurate, and from what I've read, their offerings for the california legal ammo are top shelf. 
RIP KYOTA

brandon95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 193
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
oh i had heard it was the entire state of CA that banned lead bullets, my gun was sighted in using 165grain Nosler portition rounds, and my dad bought some 165grain copper rounds (forgot the brand) and they seen to shoot about the same, but i think they cost like $2 a bullet or somthin like that

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
oh i had heard it was the entire state of CA that banned lead bullets, my gun was sighted in using 165grain Nosler portition rounds, and my dad bought some 165grain copper rounds (forgot the brand) and they seen to shoot about the same, but i think they cost like $2 a bullet or somthin like that

I mentioned this at the begining of the thread, its not all of CA only certain areas mostly in So Cal.

I am not a hunter myself but ironically I work for a company that sells and manufactures ammo, heh. Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about the Condor hunting restrictions that were enacted last December in regards to hunting in Condor habitat zones using lead ammo.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/

The gist of it is that in those zones designated as Condor habitat you can and will be searched to make sure you do not even have any kind of lead ammo with you, regardless of wether or not you are going to use it. They are really serious about this so don't risk it. If you check out that link you can find a map of the zones and more information on it, as well as a list of "safe" ammo.

The company I work for (Miwall Corp) sells almost all of the lead free ammo listed so if you find us at a gun show you should be able to find plenty of variety in lead free ammo.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Here a few pics from Mendota last week.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.