Author Topic: Weird starting problems  (Read 3407 times)

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Weird starting problems
« on: Aug 04, 2004, 07:11:00 AM »
My 85 efi 4runner is having some strange intermittent (sp?) starting problems.  It all started a while back when it would just not want to start sometimes.  Turn the key, all power and no click of the starter.  Try again 20 minutes later, and it would start.  Right off the bat, I figure the contacts have to be bad in the starter.  Rebuilt a starter out of my parts truck (new contacts and plunger) and stuck that in.  Worked great for a bit but now the problem is back.  Tested for a drain or short-nothing.  Cleaned terminals and checked wires-no problems detected.  I don't even hear the solenoid click when it does this.  It will push start in reverse like a champ.  Battery is never dead.  12 plus volts when it's doing this.  14 plus volts when it's running.  It was rolled upside down in a creek...maybe something got wet?  That's been a few years ago though.  Please help!!
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Re: Weird starting problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:01:19 AM »
The next time it will not start, after setting the e-brake and in netural, unplug the small ignition signal wire on the starter and using a jumper wire, connect the large battery lead to starter solonid termal end. The engine should turn over.
Next begin by checking the ignition swich pig tail located on the steering column. Then the ignition switch. It may be wore out and not allowing the proper voltage to go to the stater solonid.
Do you have an alarm on your truck? This could also cause a no start. I have had to bypass the wiring to get the enging to crank up on the trail many times.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2004, 04:19:06 AM »
almost sounds like the new contacts you put is took a crap..Yea,,if it don't start check the lead to the solenoid for power when you crank on the key..If good then I would say starter..otherwise what the man said..Some aftermarket starter parts suck !
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2004, 05:56:51 AM »
There is no alarm.  My friend runs a Standard Batteries store here in town and thats where the parts came from.  What should the voltage be going down the small wire to the solenoid??  What is invloved with replacing the ignition switch?  I have changed the lock cylinder on it and have also pulled that whole switch out before by removing that little screw...does it just plug in after that?  I have another column I could pull the switch from and change it if you guys think that could be the problem.  OH YEAH-ONE MORE THING-THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW TIMES WHERE I JUST HELD THE KEY TO THE START POSITION FOR LIKE 7 OR 8 SECONDS AND THEN IT STARTED.  COULD THAT INDICATE A BAD SWITCH??

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2004, 07:30:37 AM »
(I dint know If I should post here but I dint see the point on there being to "Starter Problems thread...deleate if you want)

This morning when I tried to start my Runner all I heard was the cliking of the selenoid...you would say its the starter...well I replaced it like 2 months ago or so....maybe the starter sucks or maybe the starter isnt connected well....after the new starter was put on sometimes the engine would strugle to turn over...if its not the starter or a bad connection what do you guys think it might be?
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2004, 01:38:15 PM »
Pulled it apart today and replaced the ignition switch.  The switch I used was from a carbed, non tilt 84 pickup column.  Swapped switch into a 85 efi tilt 4runner.  No problems just FYI.  Everything seems to be doing well up to this point, so that must have been the problem.  Marlin-do you have to hook up that little white plastic thing that tells you when your key is in or can you just remove it?  I don't have a buzzer anymore so that wouldn't be a problem.  Just wodering.

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2004, 06:59:05 PM »
Glad you got your problem fixed lowgeared....I did too..When I got home from work I got the jumper cables and went at it...it starts right up....I go to WallyMart to get my free replacement...it was going to take 2hrs for a "tech" to get to my truck so I decided to do it myself...as I was taking it off I noticed a big burn/scratch on the right side of the battery...yes...the dang power stearing pump pulley had eaten it away...when I took it off the whole plastic battery holder shifted...well atleast now I know what the problem is...and I really tighten on the battery holder down
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2004, 02:57:07 AM »
Glad to hear you gus got the problem fixed..just as a fyi for future refrence the wire to the starter should be 12v with the key in the crank position...Glad to hear its all running again.. :biggthumpup:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2008, 06:33:09 AM »
Problem is back.  I have had it loaned to a friend for a year and when I went to pick it up the same thing happened.  All lights come on bright and just a little click then nothing.  Clicking the keys back and forth and it fired right up.  This has me really leaning to the ignition switch again.  Does Marlin sell them?  If he does, I want mine with a 4:1 ratio.  This has got to help right?   :hammer:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2008, 06:56:41 PM »
This is an easy fix, get an auxiliary light relay switch, wire the ignition switch signal wire through the relay trigger and then run a wire direct from the battery through the relay just as if you were going to hook it to a set of lights. Now run the wire that would have normally gone to the lights back to the where the ignition switch signal wire plugs in. This also works on Samurai's which seem to always have this issue.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you