Author Topic: STILL having starting problems!  (Read 1881 times)

scott.475

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
STILL having starting problems!
« on: Jan 28, 2005, 02:35:19 PM »
My battery is testing at 12.26 volts cold, so that should be plenty of juice to start the truck. The starter solenoid feels like it is working, so that just pretty much leaves me with the starter itself, right? I replaced the battery ground strap, so that should be good. It WILL start if jumped, it just won't start on its own, even though the battery has plenty of voltage in it.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Re: STILL having starting problems!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2005, 02:45:57 PM »
There was a couple threads on this on PBB including a wiring fix that seems to help. I just went through this myself, the new starter seems to have solved it for now.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

scott.475 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2005, 03:26:14 PM »
I forgot to add that the starter contacts are still in great shape, I replaced them a few months ago and just checked them again.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2005, 04:09:53 PM »
volts anit the hole story, you can have 12.3 at standing butt still have a bad batt. trun on the lights and see what they do when you crank it. if they dim wayyyyy down it just not enuf juice in the batt. to do the job. if they don't dimm much, I'd try a new starter.  :twocents:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2005, 04:28:17 PM »
You should have 13.25 volts on a good battery and it should not drop below 12 volts when cranking. If you have EFI you need at least 10 volts to run the brain. Get someone to do a load test on the battery after it has been on a charger a while. A good battery and altenator should put out between 14.25 volts and 15 volts with the engine reved to about 2K. I would get the battery checked first then the charging system. If there is nothing wrong then check the amp draw of the starter. Some times the groves in the armature get plugged with carbon from the brushes and short them out causing a high amperage draw.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2005, 07:11:42 PM »
Pretty much what I was gonna say.  You can have a battery that will charge up to 13 or more volts but when you place a load on it, ie turn the key, it drops down to 9 volts and won't do squat.  Make very sure your connections at the batt are clean and tight, you'd be surprised how a tiny bit of corrosion or being slightly loose can starve the starter of full juice.  If you go to a local parts store they'll usually test it for free,     Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!