Author Topic: yet another newb question.  (Read 3147 times)

wr-ecks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
yet another newb question.
« on: Jul 27, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »
so i just finished converting my fj to power steering using the minitruck box and it dont work. my guess is its the pump(chevy pump) it was in a pile of crap the previous owner gave me and i thought it was kinda strange that there is no resistance whatsoever to the pulley. i dont know if thats normal or not i just thought it was strange. also when i filled it with fluid (resovoir and pump one piece) and ran the truck trying to move the steering wheel either direction the fluid level never changed. meaning none of it is going to the box. i dont know if there is something special im supposed to do before i run it for the first time or if its just the pump. just figured id check with you guys before i went and bought another one. oh yea and the box came from my old truck and worked perfect when i pulled it off. thanks and  :beer:

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: yet another newb question.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »
sounds like your pump is shot.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »
Yep, sounds like a bad pump.  I have seen the bypass valve fail and stick open but even then you should have had some oil flow even if it wasn't enough to make the power steering work properly.

If it is a good old "ham can" style pump it can be replaced very cheaply. 

You might even want to do the pump mods while it is on the bench.
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »
i just realized something though, how important is it to have the resovoir abouve everything? the box sits almost at the same height (just a inch or 2 lower) but the non pressure hose does stick up a little higher then the pump. thats probably going to cause me a problem isnt it? i think when i buy a new pump ill buy one with a separate resevoir and mount it up higher so there is no issues just in case.

i havent actually made it to the parts store but i called and it sounds like between 20-50 bucks depending on which one i have. (dont know what its off of so i got to look through pics). so no big deal. thats good so ill still be into this coversion less then 75 bucks.  :beerchug:

think its worth it for the pump mods? i remember doin a little research a while back so i have a vague idea of what your talkin about but this rig is gonna just be a real light wheeler so i didnt think it mattered enough to do it. the only reason im bothering with the powersteering is cause the trail to the best camping spot in washington (IMO) is very rocky, about broke my wrists trying to drive it last time.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »
Shouldn't matter that they are close to the same as long as the fluid flows, for kicks pull the lines off the box and fill the low pressure side with fluid and turn the steering wheel it should spit the fluid out as you turn. If it does the box is fine. Another question is did you prime the box and pump? Also it does take some time to work the air out for everything to work properly.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2008, 11:54:24 AM »
yea im actually going out there right now to try to do it the right way. i have never installed a box/pump and everything dry so i only just now learned how to properly start it up. whoops. im gonna give it a try. its pretty easy to install/reinstall so no big deal. thanks later.

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2008, 02:31:33 PM »
 :beerchug:

IVE GOT POWER STEERING  :driving:

it works now. ive never had to install all the power steering components dry before. they always have had to come off and back on and ive never drained them all the way. so...... now i know when they are dry you have to go through the whole process. works though.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
Good to hear you were successful!  :yesnod:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
thanks for that.  :beer: for you. 1 more question, what is the diff ratio on a 67 landcruiser. cant seem to find it. is it 4.10 like most of the newer yota's??

Weak-Link

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2008, 01:57:17 AM »
4.11 & coarse spline all around

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »
  :moon: no need to remind me about my weak axles..... thanks though. im probably gonna stick a mini truck rear in the back of it since i can get one for cheap. wanted to make sure it would be allright gearing wise.