Author Topic: SUPER Newb Question  (Read 17407 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: SUPER Newb Question
« Reply #30 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
I'm a little late to the party but on the topic of triple sticks, the floor board modification is why I really don't want to go with raddesigns triple stick. Davez is designed so the linkage connects at the bottom of the stick below the pivot point. Though it doesn't change the shifter position for the 2 and 4 engagement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck getting those.

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:29:15 PM »
Good luck getting those.
Hahah ya I know. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to make my own.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #32 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
I plan on buying radesign's shift plate, then I'll make my own handles and links...

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »
I like the design of davez, I believe he's currently out of stock though. I was scrolling down, and noticed pic of cut floorboards. Would not be my preference. If I went with the latter, I would make a sheet metal box to cover linkage
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
I can't justify buying something that allows me to not cut my interior but still have to cut the floor.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:42:22 PM »
I can't justify buying something that allows me to not cut my interior but still have to cut the floor.

Huh, can you clarify

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:50:38 PM »
These are both sqwadoosh' some truck the interior is still intact, but it covers the cut floor.
Here is the rad designs shifter block, notice how the tab goes up into the body and thus you get how sqwadoosh had to cut his floor

As compared to davez (yes I know he's been out of stock for a long time) where the tab goes down and faces away from the body and has the linkage running below the body

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #37 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
No problem here haha

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:57:27 PM »
To bad they font make an optional way of connecting to block, maybe keyed with 180° placement points

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2016, 02:59:11 PM »
To bad they font make an optional way of connecting to block, maybe keyed with 180° placement points
Why don't you just weld a tab to the other side?

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:00:37 PM »
$150 for something I still have to fab some stuff on? I can't justify the price then I'm picky Im know.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #41 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »
$150 for something I still have to fab some stuff on? I can't justify the price then I'm picky Im know.

I think he makes them to order.. call him up, seems an email, he might make it custom

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
Eh I already have my home made one in the works. I think I'm 30 in to it for the entire rear plate and the linkage. Haven't bothered with the front plate yet but it's not exactly make.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
Eh I already have my home made one in the works. I think I'm 30 in to it for the entire rear plate and the linkage. Haven't bothered with the front plate yet but it's not exactly make.

I like fabbing my own parts too

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #44 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »

Holy crap that's really $150?!

Yeah, I think I can buy some lengths of round tubing, solid bar stock, square tubing and a 3/16ths plate for about $40. Add $25 for the links and all thread...

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
Ya. I'll make sure I do a full write up on making my own after I get it done :) don't really want to do one before its done that way people aren't waiting on the info. I know I've rear through threads on that and I absolutely hate it when it on something small like that. A build thread I can enjoy ya....

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »
Holy crap that's really $150?!

Yeah, I think I can buy some lengths of round tubing, solid bar stock, square tubing and a 3/16ths plate for about $40. Add $25 for the links and all thread...

Hahahaha sorry to change your mind on just getting the rear plate but ya I'd rather make my own parts.

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #47 on: Nov 24, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
Ya. I'll make sure I do a full write up on making my own after I get it done :) don't really want to do one before its done that way people aren't waiting on the info. I know I've rear through threads on that and I absolutely hate it when it on something small like that. A build thread I can enjoy ya....

The boss man has a home made one I'll try to get some pictures next time I'm over there 👍

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Nov 24, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »
Nice! I'm don't really care as long as it works

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #49 on: Nov 24, 2016, 05:08:05 PM »

As compared to davez (yes I know he's been out of stock for a long time) where the tab goes down and faces away from the body and has the linkage running below the body

What I see is a lot of nuts and arm ends that WILL wear out, if you use them anyway.   My stock shifters will never fail to work.

As far as the use of the crawl box,  I use mine backing out of the driveway,  parking at the store and when I hook to my trailer for a load of whatever.  and never engage the front drive shaft giving me 3 or 4 extra gears to get my load moving.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
SUPER Newb Question
« Reply #50 on: Nov 24, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
What I see is a lot of nuts and arm ends that WILL wear out, if you use them anyway.   My stock shifters will never fail to work.

As far as the use of the crawl box,  I use mine backing out of the driveway,  parking at the store and when I hook to my trailer for a load of whatever.  and never engage the front drive shaft giving me 3 or 4 extra gears to get my load moving.
I agree it does add more complexity and wearable components to shifting the tcase a as compared to just wishing a stock j shift but for me it's not an option to cut any part of my floor or interior out.. Where the rear shifter would go currently has the switches for my rear window (87 4Runner) as well as the relays for my elocker (which I really don't want to rewire) so triple sticks is the way to go for me. There is a part of me that wishes I had a pickup that I could just cut into but alas, not what I have.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #51 on: Nov 25, 2016, 01:42:25 AM »
I agree it does add more complexity and wearable components to shifting the tcase a as compared to just wishing a stock j shift but for me it's not an option to cut any part of my floor or interior out.. Where the rear shifter would go currently has the switches for my rear window (87 4Runner) as well as the relays for my elocker (which I really don't want to rewire) so triple sticks is the way to go for me. There is a part of me that wishes I had a pickup that I could just cut into but alas, not what I have.

that makes sense then.  Glad I have bucket seats.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Beastcrawler85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
Nice read

seebrookmeyer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -50
  • Male Posts: 91
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jan 30, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
solid thread for entering the dual case world. was helpful to read through and get the basic theory behind it all. 

in terms of triple sticks, in what scenarios have you found them most helpful? Personally I feel like I have more than enough choices in gearing that I'm unclear on how I would be able to utilize the third stick

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #54 on: Jan 30, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »
solid thread for entering the dual case world. was helpful to read through and get the basic theory behind it all. 

in terms of triple sticks, in what scenarios have you found them most helpful? Personally I feel like I have more than enough choices in gearing that I'm unclear on how I would be able to utilize the third stick
Triple sticks doesn't exactly give you more gearing options, other than splitting up the high low and four-wheel drive two wheel drive single Jay configuration. It's more for convenience so that you have your shifters further forward

seebrookmeyer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »
Triple sticks doesn't exactly give you more gearing options, other than splitting up the high low and four-wheel drive two wheel drive single Jay configuration. It's more for convenience so that you have your shifters further forward

So along the lines of having shifters further forward, have others ran into the issue of knocking your front case out of low when putting the tranny into fourth gear. My front case stick sits exactly where 4th gear is. Can the short throw shifter help eliminate this?

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
So the triple stick is really a relocated twin stick. The twin stick splits the (for lack of a better term) linkage so you can have independent control of high/low and of 2wd/4wd. From what I have read, and people I have talked to, it is the most helpful when you have a spool or any solid lock in the front axle. You can disengage 4wd (with the hubs still locked) but still be in low range.

Congill77

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:10:33 PM »
So along the lines of having shifters further forward, have others ran into the issue of knocking your front case out of low when putting the tranny into fourth gear. My front case stick sits exactly where 4th gear is. Can the short throw shifter help eliminate this?
How do you have your front cases stick mounted? It's a dog leg shifter (on mine at least) so if you remove the shifter and re install it 180* that should move where the shifter sits.

seebrookmeyer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
How do you have your front cases stick mounted? It's a dog leg shifter (on mine at least) so if you remove the shifter and re install it 180* that should move where the shifter sits.

That makes a lot of sense, without a selectable front locker, I could see the benefit of being able to select hi/low and 2/4 independently.

That sounds like something to look into tonight. Can't say I have ever looked at the shape of the stick itself, but that would be a simple solution for using fourth gear again.

Thanks!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
Lol into a shitty throw kit from Marlin.. so glad I bought mine

Look into a short throw kit*
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2017, 06:57:41 PM by ExCabSwap »