Author Topic: between a rock and a hard place  (Read 7516 times)

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: between a rock and a hard place
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2004, 12:23:14 PM »
Please enlighten us stupid folk.  Do you remove the dshaft or are you saying he needs to remove the third and work on it on the bench or something?
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2004, 12:29:24 PM »
 :smack: ill just go take a picture of what i did :biggthumpup: im not doin anything today neway.. i really think your making it a lot more difficult than it really is.
rest in peace Effay

01 taco needs, duals, front axle, linked rear, exo...

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2004, 12:59:05 PM »
Ok go get a vice grip and clamp it on over one of the holes... make it nice and tight, drill the other three holes THOUGHT THE HOLES IN THE SLIP YOKE, find the bit that fits just right... i can find that out for you as soon as i find my bits...Now, put 3 bolts and nuts into the holes that you just drilled and tighten them down. take off the vice grips and drill the last hole, now you have all four holes drilled to your new flange.
rest in peace Effay

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2004, 01:15:20 PM »
Well yeah, we knew that. 

But we're saying that with the third member still under the truck and with the driveshaft attached, the drill won't physically fit to drill the holes.  The U joint is in the way of the drill body and you can't move the driveshaft out of the way like you did in your pictures. 

Maybe if you seperate the drive shaft there might be enough room to move the Ujoints around under there, I don't know.  I only done it once and I had roger's jig. 
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2004, 01:21:27 PM by robinhood4x4 »
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2004, 01:28:45 PM »
kyle where are you located at if i can ill come over and help ya i got a torque wrench and all the tools :beerchug:

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 30, 2004, 01:39:16 PM »
Well yeah, we knew that. 

But we're saying that with the third member still under the truck and with the driveshaft attached, the drill won't physically fit to drill the holes.  The U joint is in the way of the drill body and you can't move the driveshaft out of the way like you did in your pictures. 

Maybe if you seperate the drive shaft there might be enough room to move the Ujoints around under there, I don't know.  I only done it once and I had roger's jig. 

K, his d-shaft isnt bolted on because he doesnt have a bolt pattern to bolt it onto... its already off so thats not an issue. Why would he be drilling new holes if his driveshaft was already bolted in? He is trying to drill new holes so he CAN bolt his d-shaft on.... he has all the paices laying there to get it done he just needs to use his noggin a lil' :)
rest in peace Effay

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 30, 2004, 01:58:13 PM »
K, his d-shaft isnt bolted on because he doesnt have a bolt pattern to bolt it onto... its already off so thats not an issue. Why would he be drilling new holes if his driveshaft was already bolted in? He is trying to drill new holes so he CAN bolt his d-shaft on.... he has all the paices laying there to get it done he just needs to use his noggin a lil' :)

His dshaft isn't bolted onto his pinion flange, but it is clamped on just like in your pic. 

Wait a minute...I just realized he doesn't have his third under the truck yet...I think.  So that should be easier.  Since I did mine while it was still under the truck, I can't say anything further.  From your picture it looks like he should be able to get the drill in there by angling the dshaft off to the side, but I think he'd need a long drill bit to clear the ujoint  ???

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 30, 2004, 02:05:17 PM »
Kyle... just do what i explained... This is easier that tieing your shoes... get under your truck and do it its cake... where are you? if your close to me ill come show you..

And even if his d-shaft were to be on is it really that hard to take out the four bolts to get it off? thats a whole 2-3 min of work tops...im not seeing the issue here :dunno:

Is this by any chance your fist rig? I undrstand not wanting to mess up and needing to re-do :pokinit:, im 17 and have only been wrenchin since i was 15 when i bought my truck so i dont have all the knowledge that a lot of people do but you have to be willing to get your hands dirty and try stuff...   
rest in peace Effay

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 30, 2004, 02:06:48 PM »
No, Kyles 2nd picture shows it already under the truck, so my premise still stands.  With the dshaft clamped to the pinion flange and the other side unbolted from the tcase, the dshaft can't be moved around enough to allow the drill to fit. 

Have you tried to drill it with the third under the truck?  It's not nearly as easy as it is out of the truck.  Anyway, this is beating a dead horse.  I'll let Kyle explain.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2004, 02:17:36 PM by robinhood4x4 »

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 30, 2004, 03:15:14 PM »
JUST SWAP OUT THE FLANGES  :yupyup:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 30, 2004, 03:29:21 PM »
No, Kyles 2nd picture shows it already under the truck, so my premise still stands.  With the dshaft clamped to the pinion flange and the other side unbolted from the tcase, the dshaft can't be moved around enough to allow the drill to fit. 

Have you tried to drill it with the third under the truck?  It's not nearly as easy as it is out of the truck.  Anyway, this is beating a dead horse.  I'll let Kyle explain.

yes i know ITS NOT THAT HARD!!!!!!!!!!! i did the front flange of my tcase with my Bud Built on there and holding haft a d-shaft up there and fitting the drill up ther just fine! ITS NOT HARD! the third has 50x more room to move around!
rest in peace Effay

kyle_22r [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 30, 2004, 04:28:40 PM »
ended up swapping the flanges.  it wasn't drilling that was the hard part, it was the fact that i screwed up while i was drilling :smack:  otherwise it would've been a piece of cake(except that drilling with a 3/8ths bit with a hand drill through it is a pita)

truck seems fine now, though :crossed:

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 30, 2004, 06:07:18 PM »

yes i know ITS NOT THAT HARD!!!!!!!!!!! i did the front flange of my tcase with my Bud Built on there and holding haft a d-shaft up there and fitting the drill up ther just fine! ITS NOT HARD! the third has 50x more room to move around!
calm down buddy its not the end of the world :beerchug:

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 30, 2004, 06:12:35 PM »
oh its ok im like this :talkingn: but at the same time just cant for the life of me figure out why he thinks its sooo hard :screwy: oh well, glad you got the prob fixed :biggthumpup:
rest in peace Effay