Author Topic: Grinding / Whining noise when clutch pushed in only in 5th gear...  (Read 1485 times)

mmessier2

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
85 4runner, 5spd

Im trying to diagnose a small issue with my 4runner.  When I am exiting the freeway and I put the gear in neutral I hear a whining or slight grinding sound coming from the transmission area.  It isnt loud, but it is noticeable.  It doesn't make this noise when it is in any other gear, only at high speed in neutral. When I put it in gear the noise goes away. Any ideas on what it is?

Mark

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
:headscratch:  um  why do you put in the clutch when your exiting the freeway??  when exiting you should downshift to 4th and release the clutch.  if your pressing the clutch  and/or  shifting into neutral at freeway speed then  your  killing your  input and or main bearings since in neutral the  lower gears arent slinging oil up onto the other gears

i had a girlfriend years ago  and she always complained that her clutch never lasted more than 6 months,   one day i was injured at work and she came to drive me home.   when exiting the freeway  she pushed the clutch to the floor, i watched as she  went all the way down the ramp to the redlight with the clutch on the floor.  i asked her if she always did that,  she said "well yea, your supposed to"   i proceeded to inform her she was NOT  and  thats why her clutch never lasted more than 6 months
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
my 4-runner does the same thing. the reason mine does that is because i believe it is the drive line where they come together the splines are worn out (slip yoak) i think. i grease it up and it goes away and comes back a few weeks later.....check the drive line for play :twocents: good luck
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER