Author Topic: Clutch Moaning Noise When Taking Off Under Load in 1st gear - 2000 4Runner  (Read 1062 times)

jedzik

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I recently replaced/upgraded my old clutch with a MC 1200lb clutch kit. Now when I take off under load in first gear I get a brief moaning noise - kind of somewhat similar to the sound an old door hinge, or maybe even like a dragging caliper (but a little less metallic sounding). The sound is more pronounced the more quickly you feather in the clutch, or under more load (during a hill start, for instance).

When replacing the old clutch parts I also resurfaced the flywheel, replaced the shift fork and master cylinder, and did everything per the FSM to the best of my knowledge.

At first I was willing to live with the noise, but now I am starting to hear some chirping sounds when accelerating. I'm not sure if this is a related issue, but I'm growing increasingly concerned that something is not quite right.

This was my first clutch job, so I am open to the possibility that I goofed up on something. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome before I pull everything apart to take a look.

By the way - there are no noticeable performance issues (slipping, trouble shifting, etc) - at least not yet. But I don't want to get too far off the beaten path before I get this figured out....

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
There should be no “noise” coming from a new clutch job.

On a high mileage clutch, since dropping a tranny is one my most disliked jobs, I replace:

Clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, bearing retainer clips, pilot bearing, tranny input shaft seal and housing gasket, and rear main seal.  Unless the flywheel has visible cracks or ridges, I just block sand it with 320 & 400 grit emery cloth.  The good thing about having it machined and resurfaced is that will correct any possible heat warping.   A new flywheel is not that expensive.  If I were to give the flywheel to a good machine shop for resurfacing, I’d have them check and balance the flywheel and pressure plate.

I assume you replaced the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing? 

Did you very lightly coat the input shaft seal housing with a grease where the throw-out bearing rides?  And, where the clutch disc rides on the end of the input shaft splines?

Usually a “noise” from the tranny will be the throw-out bearing squealing, but can be pilot bearing.  The noise can be from a worn input shaft bearing.

The noise may not be from the clutch area. Could be U-joints, transmission, t-case, rear differential, motor mounts, front drive shafts, or rear springs.

Here’s simple description of noises…. for a worn cluch, but may give you some insight into the sounds your are hearing.

http://www.2jsautomotive.com/blog/distinguishing-noises-worn-clutch-system/

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein