Author Topic: MPG Challenge...Wanna Play?  (Read 12826 times)

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
MPG Challenge...Wanna Play?
« on: Jun 09, 2008, 07:34:04 AM »
So I am challenging myself to see what kind of milleage I can get outta my '98 Subaru Forester doing nothing but modifying my driving style.  I started the other day.  Ran my tank down to fumes, put in 5 gallons on the nose and recorded my mileage.  I have been taking it easy, doing the speed limit, timing lights so I don't have to start from a dead stop, shifting at 2k rpm...so far my gas gauge is moving toward empty pretty slowly...I will report what I can get now and then try to better it.

The challenge:  What is the best mileage you can pull out of whatever your daily driver is, and then can you figure out how to better that.

Who wants to play...could be a fun way to cut back on some gas usage and save everyone a dollar or two.  Except MWM of course.  But she can play too if she wants.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: MPG Challenge...Wanna Play?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2008, 07:46:22 AM »
I'll play.
I'll just edit this post for the whole thread with my updates.
will fill up tomorrow afternoon and post results from current tank.

2001 4Runner 3.4L V6
Tank 1 Milage (normal driving style): 20.09mpg 6/10/08
Tank 2 Milage (easy driving style):
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008, 06:17:24 AM by MiniSimp »

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »
I actually caught a brief thing on TV about this the other day...this dude's been doing it for years but I felt his driving habits border on aggressive.  LOL.  For instance, he doesn't hit the brake for corner, etc.  I didn't really watch a lot of it because I thought it was stupid and no way am I driving like that to get a few more mpg.  I doubt it'll make much difference in my stupid automatic V6 4Runner anyway.  I'm lucky to get 16.  But I'm anxious to see if anyone does figure out any helpful tips!
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2008, 07:50:20 AM »
I read about some group or club ( I think of highly obsessive people lol) that do this for fun or entertainment. I think they even have competitions and meetings and stuff.....cant remember what they were called...There IS a term for them...
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:18:53 AM »
Not advocating being stupid in the car...please drive responsibly.  This is more a question of, by going easy on the pedal and just driving smarter, can you squeeze that extra mile or two outta a gallon of gas?
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »
ill play. ill top off my take today on my way to work.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:26:06 AM »
Not advocating being stupid in the car...please drive responsibly.  This is more a question of, by going easy on the pedal and just driving smarter, can you squeeze that extra mile or two outta a gallon of gas?
in a 4 cylinder YES,  in a v6  yes,  in a high geared v8 yes

in a low geared v8  like my dads old 69 ford 1 ton,  it didnt matter if it was driven easy with no load  or driven hard  with  20k on a trailer  it got 6 mpg

our suburban?  driven easy gets 18mpg,  drive it hard  and it drops to 10
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »
So I am challenging myself to see what kind of milleage I can get outta my '98 Subaru Forester doing nothing but modifying my driving style.  I started the other day.  Ran my tank down to fumes, put in 5 gallons on the nose and recorded my mileage.  I have been taking it easy, doing the speed limit, timing lights so I don't have to start from a dead stop, shifting at 2k rpm...so far my gas gauge is moving toward empty pretty slowly...I will report what I can get now and then try to better it.

The challenge:  What is the best mileage you can pull out of whatever your daily driver is, and then can you figure out how to better that.

Who wants to play...could be a fun way to cut back on some gas usage and save everyone a dollar or two.  Except MWM of course.  But she can play too if she wants.

:hyper:  it's all in relation to YOUR vehicle so just cause I'm getting good mileage by doing nothing but driving regularly doesn't mean I can't get better by trying different techiniques.

But I actually am already doing a lot of that.

So far my best mileage has bee 49.6 and my worst has been 43.5 - I've had the car now for 3 months and have had 4 fillups (11 gallon tank)

I'm trying to beat that 49 mpg - I'll play!  :cheer:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:27:47 AM »
I read about some group or club ( I think of highly obsessive people lol) that do this for fun or entertainment. I think they even have competitions and meetings and stuff.....cant remember what they were called...There IS a term for them...

:werd: read an article like that.  They park on hills, etc. so they can get rolling starts, shut the car off on coasts, coast a lot longer than they really should, obsessively time lights,  I think they're called hypermilagers or something? :dunno:

I actually did this recently.  I'm used to driving on the freeway at about 75 or so, and usually get 17-18 in my f250.  This last tank, I did 65, and wound up with 22mpg :woohoo:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

yeah, there was an article in readers digest about this. it was really ridiculous, putting it in neutral when going downhills (which I believe is illegal in a lot of states), the no braking thing to the point that when they are approaching their house, for instance, they just coast till they barely have to apply the brakes to stop, which of course means he was going way under the speed limit till he got to his driveway (and the article did comment on the pissed off drivers behind him).

I can actually do the 'neutral' thing in the prius by getting the gas pedal right between using the electric engine and the braking, I've gotten pretty good at it, but I'm not putting it in neutral, its just not using any power, if I step on the gas it's right there.

I've got a half tank now. I'll see what mileage I've got on the next fillup (I have not been driving as conscienciously as usual) and will start playing after that (probably another week)

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Gewehr43

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Toyota>>Jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »
I have been doing this myself, but I'll play too.  I have a '95 Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo with the Automatic tranny.  I got 29 with it on the last tank.  2mg better than normal.   :driving:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
:werd: read an article like that.  They park on hills, etc. so they can get rolling starts, shut the car off on coasts, coast a lot longer than they really should, obsessively time lights,  I think they're called hypermilagers or something? :dunno:

I actually did this recently.  I'm used to driving on the freeway at about 75 or so, and usually get 17-18 in my f250.  This last tank, I did 65, and wound up with 22mpg :woohoo:

yeah, I think that was the name. Hypermilers. really OC! Finding parking spaces they didn't have to back out of was another.

:idiot: here's an article on Mother Jones that thinks its a good idea to be a :moon: on the road  :stopit:
This is the same article I read in Readers Digest and thought they were total idiots.

News: Drafting 18-wheelers with the engine off, taking death turns at 52 miles an hour, and other lessons learned while riding shotgun with the king of the hypermilers

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/01/king_of_the_hypermilers.html

Where is the Mammoth?

Mistaken

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Oct '07
  • i like lights
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »
i applaud everyone for trying to save gas/money, but don't do it to the point of getting in other peoples way on the road. it's called the passing lane for a reason, get your 45mph gas saving butt out of it and let me by.

on the plus side, i don't deal with as many tailgater's lately.
1997 gmc sierra short box 4x4
33"mastercraft MT's
cat back duals

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:41:10 AM »
i applaud everyone for trying to save gas/money, but don't do it to the point of getting in other peoples way on the road. it's called the passing lane for a reason, get your 45mph gas saving butt out of it and let me by.

and stay safe for gawds sake! These 'tips' from the hypermilers are just dang dangerous! Drafting a semi is never a good idea no matter how much better mileage you get.

Where is the Mammoth?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »

:werd:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
I won't be doing anything drastic.
Maybe instead of driving 85mph on the way to work I'll slow down to 70mph.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2008, 09:57:25 AM »
I have about 500 stopsigns to go thru every day to go to work and back....

I used to do the infamous "Rolling Stop"

but now I have a challenge!  :talkingn:

:driving:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:16:37 AM »
I have about 500 stopsigns to go thru every day to go to work and back....

I used to do the infamous "Rolling Stop"

but now I have a challenge!  :talkingn:

:driving:

Just go cut them all down, in your direction :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »
Just go cut them all down, in your direction :thumbs:

:yesnod:

LOL! I got a ticket for a 'rolling stop' once so I don't do that anymore, but the Prius also has an engine brake, so I use that to slow down instead of braking, I don't know if it saves on fuel, but I figure it'll save on brake pads so that's got to be a good thing.

Where is the Mammoth?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:20:52 AM »
I'd play, but riding the bus to work really puts a damper on how much driving I do.  Right now gas prices have gone up $0.30 since I filled up last.  I'm working on setting the timing to get better mpg and power.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

CTENG in KS [OP]

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #20 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:22:28 AM »
Sweet, I'm glad people are interested.  Again, all about saving a buck or two, please, nothing dangerous or stupid.  Better to drive smart, slow down a little and live to wheel another day.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
Better to drive smart, slow down a little and live to wheel another day.
Thats sig worthy material right there!  :yupyup: u are truly a wise wise man cteng
RIP KYOTA

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:27:39 AM »
I always try doing this but for some reason :dunno: I just cant keep my foot out of it... I drive a 240sx every day (rear wheel drive) and I just cant seem to go easy on it....I am gonna try and see what I can get out of it... I will post my results
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Jun 09, 2008, 10:51:57 AM »

sounds like your lovin that f250 :thumbs:

97 yamaha yzf1000 (sportbike)-65mpg is my best cruisin on the highway, normal is 45-50mpg.
1979 k5 blazer-16mpg mixed, no overdrive with a 327 gasser.
1995 gmc yukon turbo-diesel (used to be my dads, mine as of july 3rd) 25mpg at 70mph, air intake upgrade.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 09, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »
98 1/2 ton ram 4.56 gears 38" tires daily driver gets 6 1/2 mpg.  I live 1.3 miles from work.  So I started walking to work about a month ago.  However heat index is around 101 give or take this week so I am driving this week.  :willynilly:  However I can tell you my shoes get much better mpg than my truck  :thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 09, 2008, 12:34:22 PM »
sounds like your lovin that f250 :thumbs:

97 yamaha yzf1000 (sportbike)-65mpg is my best cruisin on the highway, normal is 45-50mpg.
1979 k5 blazer-16mpg mixed, no overdrive with a 327 gasser.
1995 gmc yukon turbo-diesel (used to be my dads, mine as of july 3rd) 25mpg at 70mph, air intake upgrade.

:yesnod: 

Gonna start driving the toy to work though I think.  I get about 18mpg mixed with it, and seeing as diesel is about .70 more, Its more economical at the moment

-Ronald Reagan

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 09, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
i get 35 mpg's out of my 94 Tercel w/ a 4 spd. that's w/ out the a/c. doing 70-75  :burnout:
i'm geting about 28-30 using the a/c. doing 65ish.   :driving:
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 09, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
I always try doing this but for some reason :dunno: I just cant keep my foot out of it... I drive a 240sx every day (rear wheel drive) and I just cant seem to go easy on it....I am gonna try and see what I can get out of it... I will post my results

Thats why I like cruise control.  If I'm controlling the speed, the speedo seems to keep going up, if I set it, and take my foot off, I do so much better :gap:

-Ronald Reagan

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 09, 2008, 02:01:27 PM »
I've tried everything.  My diesel gets the same MPG no matter how I drive it.  18MPG.  Unless I'm towing then it goes down to about 14MPG.

Interestingly enough though my 99 4Runner's mpg increased from 16-17 to 19-20mpg just by increasing the tire diameter from 29" to 31".  It had some G-ride 20" bling wheels on at and I changed back to the factory ones.  It has the 4.30:1 gears though.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 09, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »
Thats why I like cruise control.  If I'm controlling the speed, the speedo seems to keep going up, if I set it, and take my foot off, I do so much better :gap:
ya thats what I try to do on the highway.... but I can trrow a rock from my house and hit the shop I work in so I dont get going fast enough to use cruise control going to work and back.... I have been using OD and getting way better MPG in town...not as much get-up-and-go but much cheaper :thumbs:
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0