Author Topic: Windows Vista - Helpful Tip  (Read 5602 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Windows Vista - Helpful Tip
« on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »
For those of you that use Windows Vista, I recently learned, the hard way, one of its unique features.

If you store program files, in my case it was Microsoft Money files, in the default location there is some sort of administrative "lock" on the files that won't allow it to be updated.  It opens a temporary file that is deleted when you close out of the program.  I lost a lot of financial data several times before figuring out what was happening, many angry nights.  The easiest solution is simply to store the files in another location that isn't part of the program files.

:shake_head:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Vista - Helpful Tip
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:04:55 PM »
Gosh, Vista is a pile(Trust me i'm running it!!!!!!!!)
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »
i don't like my vista.  it is not user friendly.  also i could not find a picture resizer for it so now i have to use my photobucket

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2008, 10:30:55 PM »
I think the best tip is...keep XP.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2008, 05:13:44 AM »
I think the best tip is...keep XP.

You beat me toit, The best fix for Vista is to buy a new copy of XP and install it.

If your system is 64 bit then you can get a 64 bit XP, otherwise the 32 bit will work fine.

You can get an OEM version of XP for $89
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604614

or Pro for $139
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604631

64 bit Pro for $139

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604652

Dont' let the name of this place bother you they are a stand up co. I have built many computers with their stuff and never had a problem.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2008, 05:23:31 AM »
If you like XP get it while you can because it is being discontinued in June.  All updates and support will cease too.  Vista can be adjusted to run and appear like XP if you want it too.  They call all of the settings Classic style.  Vista still has compatability issues with older 3rd party software but if you turn off all the useless crap it runs pretty good.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:22:14 AM »
I think vista is way better, its cleaner and smoother, yea its frustrating with so many changes from xp  but I have to disagree and say once you figure it out its much better..  I run both, had xp for years but i like my vista I have now more.... 
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
If you like XP get it while you can because it is being discontinued in June.  All updates and support will cease too.  Vista can be adjusted to run and appear like XP if you want it too.  They call all of the settings Classic style.  Vista still has compatability issues with older 3rd party software but if you turn off all the useless crap it runs pretty good.

From what I gather XP Home will still be viable. I've played around with Vista...I just don't like it.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:56:29 AM »
My wife tried to load XP on her notebook, but her wireless card will only work the Vista.  A friend of mine got a Dell because he could still get XP but also noted that the wireless card was specific to the OS.  XP may not work with all of your hardware if you have a new computer that came with Vista, there are driver issues by design.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »
i don't like my vista.  it is not user friendly.  also i could not find a picture resizer for it so now i have to use my photobucket

:psss:  Vista image resizer:

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

I use it at work, it free and it works fine.

I don't HATE Vista like most people do, there is a lot to like about it. I love the way the new windows explorer works, but there are some work arounds you need to be aware when running older programs. Like opening some older programs by r-clicking and choosing with 'Run as Administrator' which MIGHT have helped you with that Money program, I don't know that for sure.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2008, 10:07:53 AM »
I think vista is way better, its cleaner and smoother, yea its frustrating with so many changes from xp  but I have to disagree and say once you figure it out its much better..  I run both, had xp for years but i like my vista I have now more.... 

:thumbs:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
Like opening some older programs by r-clicking and choosing with 'Run as Administrator' which MIGHT have helped you with that Money program, I don't know that for sure.

I believe this would also be a solution, but moving the file is much more simple to remember.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
My wife and I also noticed that XP and Vista don't work well together, but Vista to Vista is even more simple than XP to XP was.  She hooked a printer to my computer and it automatically set itself up on hers even though we don't have them linked in any way other than the same wireless internet hub.  We still haven't even set up file sharing between the computers.  It's good and bad as is everything in the world.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2008, 10:40:12 AM »
I believe this would also be a solution, but moving the file is much more simple to remember.

I agree! I don't usually put my files in default locations anyway. thanks for the heads up.

Where is the Mammoth?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:29:58 AM »
Any ideas on a display driver error?  My monitor will flicker from time to time and always recovers quickly, but I'm sure there is a simple fix given time to research it.

Also, both my wife and I get warnings for unexpected shutdowns when the computer sleeps or hibernates.  Any ideas?

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:38:06 AM »

Also, both my wife and I get warnings for unexpected shutdowns when the computer sleeps or hibernates.  Any ideas?

Laptop?  heat is often the culperit there!

WILLYNILLY

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »

Laptop?  heat is often the culperit there!

One of each with the same error.

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
Me too and sometimes Windows won't even start. I'm not computer savvy so I go to my friend who are, they hate Vista so it makes solving issues real hard.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »
Do you guys have decent disc cleaning software? or antivirus crap?   another thing that is notorius for causing that is recently added software that might not have got on right...  I had the problem when I first got vista and it was a program that was jacked so I uninstalled and reinstalled and never happened since.

WILLYNILLY

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
Awwww, poor babies can't deal with change? I have had Vista Premium from the day it was launched, I love my Vista. Of course I had Me on my previous computer so anything was better. I did work with XP a lot though and still think Vista is better and safer right out of the box. Then add in some outside protection services and it has been virtually impenetrable. The only things that have tried to get in are stuff that I've attempted to download and Vista has warned me not to since it scans everything ahead of time. Sure it can get to be a pain sometimes since I have to type in my admin. approval for every download but at least I'm not killing my system every week like Me was doing.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »
Awwww, poor babies can't deal with change?

:slap:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2008, 05:29:15 PM »
Awwww, poor babies can't deal with change? I have had Vista Premium from the day it was launched, I love my Vista. Of course I had Me on my previous computer so anything was better. I did work with XP a lot though and still think Vista is better and safer right out of the box. Then add in some outside protection services and it has been virtually impenetrable. The only things that have tried to get in are stuff that I've attempted to download and Vista has warned me not to since it scans everything ahead of time. Sure it can get to be a pain sometimes since I have to type in my admin. approval for every download but at least I'm not killing my system every week like Me was doing.

YOU RAN ME UNTIL VISTA CAME OUT! Who can't deal with change?

I prefer to think that I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I don't need to rush out and get every new toy that comes down the pike. My computer is running fine...I have a Vista disc in the drawer, someday...maybe I'll install it.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »
YOU RAN ME UNTIL VISTA CAME OUT! Who can't deal with change?

I prefer to think that I'm secure enough in my masculinity that I don't need to rush out and get every new toy that comes down the pike. My computer is running fine...I have a Vista disc in the drawer, someday...maybe I'll install it.

Actually your quote could have been mine about Me, I don't just run out to get the latest, greatest thing either. It took a little TLC but Me lasted me for a long time. I did keep a recovery disc and backed up to another HD to keep things straight. Every now and then it would crash and I had to slap the recovery disc in and then reload everything. The only reason I was shopping for a new computer was that she finally died and it was time for a new one. It just happened that Vista came out the same day I went shopping for a new computer, I was going to get XP and thought I was until I looked at the box I was buying and it said that Vista was inside. I was getting such a great deal in the first place so I decided to just get Vista. I was very skeerd though but I've had no problems at all with it. In fact I like it better than XP.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2008, 06:58:18 AM »
My wife said her Sony notebook also had the display driver error that my Compaq desktop is having until it updated to a certain point.  It must be a Vista gremlin.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 23, 2008, 08:26:46 AM »
:haha:

:slap:

:nana:  :aaa: 

You can't just an OS by a couple hours of playing with the neighbors computer.

Where is the Mammoth?

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »
:haha:

:nana:  :aaa: 

You can't just an OS by a couple hours of playing with the neighbors computer.

:yupyup:

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 23, 2008, 11:07:23 AM »
I think Vista is not quite ready for prime time. I've learned the hard way to never buy the first version of anything Mr. Gates and his merry band of elves puts out. Wait until the first service pack for them to fix the most basic bugs and security issues.

I do have to admit that I violated my rule above though :hammerhead:. I bought a new system with Vista Home Premium, and absolutly hated it until I got a memory fix, and now it seems to be OK. I even bought a brand new XP Pro disk 'cause I was going to format the disk and re-install XP. Never got around to it. I have now got 2 more laptops which run Vista, and so far it seems to be OK. There are a few annoying bugs, but so far I've figured out how to fix them.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 23, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »
Any ideas on a display driver error?  My monitor will flicker from time to time and always recovers quickly, but I'm sure there is a simple fix given time to research it.

I've actually had the flickering myself, on my laptop equipped with Vista, don't really notice it much, except when I'm watching a movie or something.  I don't think its heat in my case, I try to make sure there is plenty of circulation space when I'm using it.

Overall I like vista.  I had XP since HS, and that comp finally died last sept, so I bought this laptop.  Its got some irritants, but I'm pretty happy with it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent