Author Topic: Thinking about full floater  (Read 699 times)

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Thinking about full floater
« on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
I have been looking into this for some time now, however just haven't said anything till i was inspired by this thread.

Anyway, I have been thinking about making my own set up, and using some long field axles.  Its my understanding that he can cut them to custom lengths. 

Here is the idea.  I have exp. and excess to machine tools to make this a basic adaptor like FROR's. I am thinking of making it out of 1/2-5/8's aluminum, and w/ out the caliper ears.  I could do this fairly easily.  However mounting the caliper would be the tricky part.  My two ideas were to machine it into the adaptor, but I think I came up with a much easier way to mount it.  I have seen many a disk break swap using old caddy calipers and rotors, simply using a weld on bracket for the caliper (looks kinda like a link mount, but has a bolt pattern for the caliper.) I could do the same thing, making that bracket out of steel.  The tricky part is will the caliper reach from its new mount, over the adaptor to the rotor.  Well, I figure if it doesn't, I could bolt a IFS rotor onto the hub instead of the solid rotor. (this rotor is off set back to make up for the wider IFS hub) and that should allow me to mount the caliper more towards the center of the axle...

Does any of that make ANY sense???
what do you think?

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?