Author Topic: Earth Hour?  (Read 7910 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Earth Hour?
« on: Mar 28, 2008, 03:57:10 PM »
The green scam is having a demonstration tomorrow night...http://www8.earthhourus.org/ , such is my concern for man-caused global warming...I will also participate  :greengrin: At the appointed hour I will turn on all my lights, open my windows and turn on the a/c, I will bake something at 500* for the one hour and I'll microwave and hour's worth of popcorn. I think all times for the demonstration are 8-9pm local...but, you can check that by finding the nearest participating city on the drop-down list. Hell, I may even turn my 'fridge all the way down and open the doors! I hope enough level headed people take part so that a spike in electricity usage will result.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2008, 06:36:30 PM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Hour?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »
:thumbs: I'll make sure all the lights are on at the station  :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2008, 04:38:52 PM »
Give them a break, there just trying to make a statment.

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
Me too!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »
i already leave my heater on with the windows open what more do they want.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
oh  i might see if the old RV  with the bigblock 460  will run  for a hour ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »
In, thanks for the chance :gap:  Let's see, my compressor is empty and needs to be filled.  My freezer needs to be defrosted, but I'm too lazy to turn it off when I leave the door open.  I haven't used my welder in a while.  Water heater and stove are propane, so they're no help.  Half my lights are those supposed energy savers, so I could leave them on but I don't think it'll help much.  I just hope I can do my part to help balance things out.  After all, I'm trying my damndest to use as many sheets of tp as possible to offset that one broads' idea that we all only need to use 1 sheet each time we poop  :shake:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »
I think they should turn them off and leave them off, means more for us. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »
So did everyone do their part for earth hour/day whatever?  :dunno:  I brainfarted when I said I'd leave all the lights at the station on, I was off today.  But I did make sure that all the lights in my house work, and that the heater works!  :gap:  Don't know if this counts, but I also burned about 5 gallons of diesel moving all my :pokinit: 

-Ronald Reagan

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »
i had the heater on all night last night kept the house at 70 with the window open in my room. it was 15* out also hehe
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:50:03 PM »
Give them a break, there just trying to make a statment.
What statement is that?

'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2008, 09:33:42 AM »
That there is a hole in the sky?

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2008, 09:48:04 AM »
I did my part. Lights, a/c, oven, wave, fans..everything!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2008, 10:24:39 AM »
I burnt up my microwave heating lots of water, and Campfire Girl says thanks we now know our a/c is working.

( . ) ( . )

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »
 :biggthumpup: I'm sure it was a burden on you for the hour...you did stop at an hour didn't you?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »
:biggthumpup: I'm sure it was a burden on you for the hour...you did stop at an hour didn't you?

:doh:

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »
:rofl:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2008, 03:50:46 AM »
We burned around 200 gallons of gas over the weekend and left the doos to the house open all day with the AC going, ran the welder and air compressor.

Glad I could help.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:27:47 AM »
We burned around 200 gallons of gas over the weekend and left the doos to the house open all day with the AC going, ran the welder and air compressor.

Glad I could help.

and i did only a half load of laundry even though I had plenty of clothes to do a full load. :yupyup:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:46:35 AM »
Soooooo.......    I don't get it.  ???

And I'm serious here, not that I have any strong opinions one way or another, but explain to me what we're proving by wasting as much (whatever) as possible?  Is that what the goal was?  What's this about man-caused global warming?  Is that what happens when people turn off lights for an hour?  I don't understaaaaaaand  :rivers:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2008, 05:49:32 AM »
I flushed 3 times when I pooped.   :yupyup: ...And its a 25 year old American Standard so it used lots of water.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:25:55 AM »
Soooooo.......    I don't get it.  ???

And I'm serious here, not that I have any strong opinions one way or another, but explain to me what we're proving by wasting as much (whatever) as possible?  Is that what the goal was?  What's this about man-caused global warming?  Is that what happens when people turn off lights for an hour?  I don't understaaaaaaand  :rivers:

Our plan was to counter what they were trying to do, they were trying to reduce usage to help reduce greenhouse emissions while ours was to attempt to increase usage, just that simple. Of course both is more symbolic and visual than effective.

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:29:07 AM »
But why counter it?  Was it to sort of poke fun at them for thinking that turning of lights for an hour will have any effect on what man has already destroyed?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2008, 07:55:11 AM »
 :yesnod:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:00:28 AM »
Not for me really, I personally think that yes we may be speeding up the natural process that the earth is constantly going through but if you think about it thousands of years ago most of the U.S. was covered in glaciers. What made that go away? I feel it's just part of the earths cycle and that nothing is going to stop what is happening with the glaciers anyways. It has very little to do with the "Greenhouse Emissions".

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »
But why counter it?  Was it to sort of poke fun at them for thinking that turning of lights for an hour will have any effect on what man has already destroyed?

Speaking only for myself, that is exactly the reason for countering it.

You are presuming that man has in fact destroyed something. I am among the most advanced in years here...I remember back in the olden days (1976) there was a great hew and cry that we were entering a new ice age! Why? Because of CO2 output...which is the exact reason they give for "global warming"...One thing the left NEVER relies on is...logic.

The Earth is constantly warming and cooling...and has been for millennia. Most of this is associated with the Earth's relationship with the Sun. Another thing that's wrong with the left's assumptions is...who can say that warmer is bad? Great famines and plagues are associated with a cooler Earth...the Black Plague and the Irish famines come to mind. What happens to water when it's warmer? Who is to say that a little warming won't change some of the weather patterns and bring more rain to areas that are now desert? At one time the whole Middle East was lush and green...ever hear of the Garden of Eden?

The main thing that chaps my ass is, I see this as a huge power grab. A way for someone to tell me what I can eat, what I can drive, where I can live. All of the proposed "solutions" are nothing but wealth transfers...mainly from the US and Europe to undeveloped countries. Another thing these solutions do is exempt two of the largest and fastest growing economies, India and China, from adhering to these rules. I have long held that the most potent agent for change is peer pressure. The left uses this to its advantage and has for sometime. One of the best ways to change society is to brainwash the children...does anyone remember a cartoon series "Captain Planet"? This seemingly innocuous Saturday morning show taught or at least planted the seed, that industry was bad, profit was evil and that the only way one can profit is at another’s or the planet’s expense.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2008, 08:17:19 AM »
I flushed 3 times when I pooped.   :yupyup: ...And its a 25 year old American Standard so it used lots of water.

Thanks for sharing!  :greengrin:

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
Aaahhhhh yes.......I seeeeeeee.   I figured there had to be more to it than just trying to do the opposite for the fun of it.  :yupyup:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »
Aaahhhhh yes.......I seeeeeeee.   I figured there had to be more to it than just trying to do the opposite for the fun of it.  :yupyup:

AT is a very wise guy :yupyup:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit: