Author Topic: 1st gasser to reach 1,000,000 miles  (Read 6797 times)

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
Re: 1st gasser to reach 1,000,000 miles
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:19:44 PM »
My dad's 90 suburban has (last time i checked) 292,000 on the origional engine/tranny/tcase. The only thing besides regular maintenance that needed replacing was the rear differential and a radiator. I blew the rear out when I was 16 doing a burnout  :hammerhead: The AC also went out but we never replaced it.

Otherwise it has run like a champ. Pops bought it in 90 with like 5,000 miles on it. Looks like we've got a ways to go for the million mile mark but I think the old girl has it in her :D

Those are nice.  That's the old style burban.  I've always wanted one of those.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:41:01 PM »
Those are nice.  That's the old style burban.  I've always wanted one of those.

Yeah its a G-ride for sure. Last year of the solid axle in the Burbs and still the boxy body style of the 80s. Factory limo tint, third row removeable seating, barn doors...I love that truck. We called it the 4x4 Limo when I was in high school (I drove it my first two years with a license). We used to load that thing up with the ladies and brews and roll to a local 4x4 ohv area to party. You could literally sleep 7 or 8 people in that thing (not always comfortably but doable :D) Good times. I want my dad to give it to me when he decides to get rid of it. He almost sold it a few years back but I begged him not to. I told him to list it in his will as going to me because i really love that old beast. I want to run 60s with like 36s and swap a cummins into it when the 350 dies. a local guy did the same thing and his burb is a masher.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
Chevy has had it going on with the V8 since it's birth in 1955?  It's been the same block since then, with only small improvements along the way.  IE, vortec (reverse cooling which gained hp) and how many types and configurations has Ford, Dodge and any other v8 out there has done through the years.  The Chevy V8 is the best and only V8 to ever own.  Look at the stats on the 2007 Dodge Viper and corvette Co6 stats!  A 400 ci stomped the V10's ass!  Served it on a platter!  So, I agree on the why do you need all the extra cams, timing, and crap to get a "new" v8 for Toyota and such, when Chevy has proved that simpler is better. 

My dad had bought a '77 chevy 3/4 ton 2wd p/u, new off the lot and drove it almost 400,000 miles with only one new water pump, and one set of valve cover gaskets in it's life.  And when he traded it off, which I begged him to give it to me, it still had less than 7% compression loss on the motor.  And all the cylinders were within 3 psi difference.  All he did was change the oil every 2500 miles on the dot, never over that.  And never mistreated it in any way.  After 60,000 miles the motor had "sealed up" which means the motor had basically quit wearing on any parts.  Which is rare but has been known to do, especially if you talk to the old engine builders out there.  The motor oil would drain out like it was being poured out of the bottle.  Just clear and clean.  And this was on Pennzoil too!  Back when Penz was crap!  So, to prove that it's not oil, it's the changing and the way you drive the motor.  That's why I believe in nothing but toyota and chevy!  I'll never own a ford or anything else.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »
Chevy has had it going on with the V8 since it's birth in 1955?  It's been the same block since then, with only small improvements along the way.  IE, vortec (reverse cooling which gained hp) and how many types and configurations has Ford, Dodge and any other v8 out there has done through the years.  The Chevy V8 is the best and only V8 to ever own.  Look at the stats on the 2007 Dodge Viper and corvette Co6 stats!  A 400 ci stomped the V10's ass!  Served it on a platter!  So, I agree on the why do you need all the extra cams, timing, and crap to get a "new" v8 for Toyota and such, when Chevy has proved that simpler is better. 

Also they've tried to copy this success over the years too, Ford tried and failed with the line of small blocks that just never messured up. Even the big blocks Chevy's run is still going, I love my 1985 454 powered mh, lots of power to pull 35' of motorhome, my brother has the latest version of this engine in his 2007 40' and it has more power than mine. There is one engine that I do like though and I've had a few, Dodge's 360. I love this engine, lots of power in them. I've had them in my Ramcharger, my class B van, and several others. Currently I'm running the 5.9 (360) in my Durango and it beats the snot out of my daughters new Tundra even in towing. Both are 4x4 models and he lost lots of towing capacity over the 2wd versions.

Over the years of being involved with light, medium, heavy, and super heavy duty towing I've experienced almost everything but in the light/medium duty arena Chevy/GMC chassis have been the best with Dodge running a close second, Ford's plain suck.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Huhwhye

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 639
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Huhwhye, esq.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2008, 12:52:27 PM »
Yeah its a G-ride for sure. Last year of the solid axle in the Burbs and still the boxy body style of the 80s. Factory limo tint, third row removeable seating, barn doors...I love that truck. We called it the 4x4 Limo when I was in high school (I drove it my first two years with a license). We used to load that thing up with the ladies and brews and roll to a local 4x4 ohv area to party. You could literally sleep 7 or 8 people in that thing (not always comfortably but doable :D) Good times. I want my dad to give it to me when he decides to get rid of it. He almost sold it a few years back but I begged him not to. I told him to list it in his will as going to me because i really love that old beast. I want to run 60s with like 36s and swap a cummins into it when the 350 dies. a local guy did the same thing and his burb is a masher.

I wanted to do the same with a cummins in a 3/4 4x4 Burban, I think that would be a perfect tow/family trip mobile

Actually a good friend of mine is putting a 12v cummins in an old Chevy Crew Cab Chassis right now.  It's 90's body style but doing a SAS w/ a D60.  He likes the 12v due to simplicity.  That will be his tow rig replacing his current 3/4 ton Cummins Ram 4x4 that can't keep a tranny together.  He even had his tranny rebuilt (TWICE) by one of the biggest names in performance trannys and it still slips like mad.  Needless to say we nolonger have a high opinion of that guy.  If I mentioned his name I'm sure you would know it.
'04 Taco DC 4x4

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
wonder how many gallons of gas were burned through that motor...
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda