Author Topic: The 2007 Tax Refund Thread..  (Read 7171 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: The 2007 Tax Refund Thread..
« Reply #60 on: Feb 28, 2008, 11:48:13 AM »
uhhhhh...have you ever heard of the IRS? :jail:

My trick is to claim 0 deductions even though I have a son.  It's not as good as investing, because I don't get interest on it, but I've not paid taxes for nearly two decades doing it.  And it's a savings account in a way for people like me who can't seem to save money any other way.   :willynilly:

You won't have to worry about the IRS as long as you fill out your W-2 correctly BUT mark the block to withold taxes at the single rate.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
I'm placing an order for a set of 4.88's and a new cat back exhaust for my truck. Then its time for some  :driving:
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Feb 28, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
I should clarify that - heh - I meant I haven't OWED taxes at the end of the year for nearly two decades.  I claim the minimum that I legally can and it always nets me a nice chunk of change back, though my taxes ARE higher as you might expect.

The prospect of owing thousands at the end of the year... I'll gladly pay a few hundred more per month in taxes to avoid that nightmare.

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Feb 28, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »
uhhhhh...have you ever heard of the IRS? :jail:

:headscratch:  he's not doing anything illegal. If he was claiming deductions he didn't have on his return... now you'd have a problem.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Feb 28, 2008, 02:13:53 PM »
I should clarify that - heh - I meant I haven't OWED taxes at the end of the year for nearly two decades.  I claim the minimum that I legally can and it always nets me a nice chunk of change back, though my taxes ARE higher as you might expect.

The prospect of owing thousands at the end of the year... I'll gladly pay a few hundred more per month in taxes to avoid that nightmare.

:smack:  OK I see what DTB was getting out.
I agree with you, it's nice to have a bigger check every week, and it would be great if I could put that into savings that would collect interest, but it never stays in there.
It's cool getting back a big honkin check in the beginning of the year.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Feb 29, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »
Yeah, that was my problem, too.  If there's money in savings or in a fund, it tends to get used.  I don't make interest on my money(then again, with the dollar getting punked, maybe it's not SO bad - least I'm not losing any, either). 

It usually ends up being 3-4K, which I then slowly eat into every month as emergencies arise.  this year, though, I got sideswiped by my transmission replacement a week after I replaced the brakes and tires.  That "fund" saved my bacon.  Otherwise, it would have sat there for 2-3 months.

P.S., yes, you can claim 0 deductions.  Expect your taxes to jump to 30% or so, though. 

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Feb 29, 2008, 09:46:27 PM »
Im married and I we both claim 0 it taxes the pants off of us but we get and got a good refund this year.. im getting a long arm kit at least one arb and hopefully some new rubbers... carpet in my front room and the rest is going to some debt.
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Mar 01, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »
Im married and I we both claim 0 it taxes the pants off of us but we get and got a good refund this year.. im getting a long arm kit at least one arb and hopefully some new rubbers... carpet in my front room and the rest is going to some debt.

If you have debt other than auto and home loans, especially credit card debt, I'd suggest paying it off if possible.  Why pay interest on it and when the monthly payments are gone you should have money to buy toys with.

:twocents:

Paying credit card interest is like  :toilet: your money.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved