Author Topic: Wicked Weather  (Read 9805 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Wicked Weather
« on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:42:30 AM »
So, how's the weather up there?

Wicked winter storm pounds California

(CNN) -- More than 10 feet of snow could fall on California mountains by Sunday and winds could reach the strength of an extremely strong hurricane as powerful winter storms move through the state.

"Travel is not advised in the mountain areas this weekend. It could be a life-threatening situation for you," CNN meteorologist Jacqui Jeras said Friday.

"The combination of heavy snow and powerful winds will likely cause frequent whiteout conditions at the highest elevations," National Weather Service forecasters said. "Travel in the Sierra will put your life at risk. Extremely high snowfall rates will make it impossible for road crews and emergency personnel to keep roads passable and to assist stranded vehicles."

Winds in the mountains could gust to 145 mph, forecasters said, the strength of a Category 4 hurricane. A Category 4 can inflict extreme damage.

California transportation officials shut down the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge in the San Francisco area during Friday morning's commute when gusty winds blew over big rigs on both the upper and lower decks of the bridge, CNN affiliate KTVU reported.

The Weather Service reported wind gusts of 60 mph at San Francisco International Airport.

The high winds and heavy rain extended inland to the Sacramento area by 9 a.m. PT. More than 105,000 customers in the Sacramento area had lost power, CNN affiliate KCRA reported.

In Mammoth Lakes in the eastern Sierra Nevada, locals stocked up on supplies, waiting more than an hour in line at the grocery store, resident Barbara Sholle told The Associated Press. Watch how California gets ready for a blizzard »

Even in lower elevations, gusts could reach 60 mph, the National Weather Service said. "Be alert for flying debris," the service warned. "Secure all doors and windows and stay indoors if possible."

At 6 a.m. PT Friday, wind gusts of 56 mph were recorded at Redding in the northern part of the state.

Ben Lomond in the Santa Cruz Mountains reported 3½ inches of rain in four hours Friday morning, and 8 inches had fallen since midnight along the Russian River, CNN affiliate KTVU reported.

Yukiah and Arcata, both in northern California, reported almost an inch of rain in three hours Friday morning and more was on the way.

Up to 10 inches of precipitation was forecast for lower elevations.

Sacramento could see as much as 3 inches of rain Friday, CNN affiliate KCRA reported.

In Kern County, forecasters said that more rain could fall this weekend than fell in all of 2007, the county's driest year since 1961, CNN affiliate KERO reported.

In Southern California, forecasters warned it could be the most significant rainfall since January 2005. Flash-flood watches were in effect around Los Angeles and San Diego, and the possibility of mudslides loomed for hillsides scorched bare by wildfires last year.

Authorities advised homeowners in those areas to have plenty of sandbags on hand and watch for signs of flooding, The AP reported.

In Orange County, the Conservation Corps on Thursday was placing gravel-filled bags along an area burned last fall, according to AP.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger ordered the state Office of Emergency Services to prepare for the bad weather.

"The state is expecting a powerful series of storms that could produce blizzard conditions in the higher elevations of the Sierra, with wind gusts of more than 100 mph and 8 to 10 feet of snow forecast at above 7,000 feet," a news release from Schwarzenegger's office said.

The weather disrupted air traffic Thursday. Flights into San Francisco were delayed more than two hours Thursday, affecting air traffic throughout the country, the Federal Aviation Administration said. Shorter delays were reported in Los Angeles.

In addition to the wind, rain and snow, the storm will bring high surf and coastal flooding, forecasters said. Ocean tides could swell up to 30 feet, prompting the Coast Guard to warn boaters not to venture out of port, AP reported.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Wicked Weather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:57:07 AM »
This is Lake Tahoe, when the streets turn white, you know we're gettin heavy snow. Until then, it's not too bad.

They did close the Golden Gate Bridge however...

Picture updates automatically

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:00:32 AM »
The storm is looking ugly. No rain in So Cal yet (10:00 am Friday) but the burn areas are going to be hard hit if the predictions are accurate.  :sad2:

On a selfish note, I have season tickets to the Chargers. 8) The field on Sunday might look like a swamp with all of the rain. :ack:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:01:38 AM »
out in oakland this morning we had some pretty gnarly winds and rain... the rain felt like ice pellets when they hit your face
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
This is a report from my sister in San Fran. She commutes to the Apple headquarters in Cupertino

we are having a triple-storm blow through. started yesterday and won't stop till sunday. it's pouring down rain today ... with winds gusting so hard the rain is blowing horizontally. trees were coming down onto the tracks this morning on the train ride in.  the train ahead of mine hit one! very exciting.

to celebrate, trilo and i are having another Boozemas party at the loft tonight! well, it wasn't actually planned to be during the storm of the century, it's just turned out that way. luckily we have enough of everything left over from our party last weekend that we don't need to go out to get much more ... and all our friends live in the city so they don't have to drive. if it's gonna be nasty, you might as well party, eh?

lights have been flickering here in the graphic design building. cupertino is pretty consistent with having blackouts during big storms, so i wouldn't be surprised to see one today. (kinda wreaks havoc when you're doing a big render that takes many hours though!) needless to say, i'll be leaving early today. :)
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:25:50 AM »
 :yikes: Co-Pilot went snowboarding today!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »
:yikes: Co-Pilot went snowboarding today!
Not the best idea.... :slap:

88toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »
haha

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:36:40 AM »
Not the best idea.... :slap:

Eh, he's only in Big Bear not supposed to get bad there until later today. I could be up there in about an hr. if necessary.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »
I'm lovin it!! The wind has died down a *little teeny bit* but still gusty and windy as heck.  But I love it.  :hyper:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:42:58 AM »

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
I'm lovin it!! The wind has died down a *little teeny bit* but still gusty and windy as heck.  But I love it.  :hyper:

I love exciting weather  :hyper:

Where is the Mammoth?

88toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:46:09 AM »
it was windy for a couple minutes here and now its gone. we are suppost to get like 3in of rain this weekend

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:47:26 AM »
Just now getting overcast and a little windy here, not that wind is uncommon here, should get some snow here by the end of all of this it is allready friggin' cold. The current show 45* and dropping, but it feels colder with the wind.

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:48:36 AM »
ya this is just lovely considering im on my way from oregon to Indio, CA on monday hopefully i can make it with all this crap weather.... I was looking forward to coming to southern California for some nice weather but i guess that will be out of the picture..... damn...well keep me posted all of you that live in the area as to how my drive will be....thanks for the updates guys
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »
I know y'all left-coasters will think me small and petty...but, we're going to get some badly needed rain out of those systems.  :bananasplit:

I hope it doesn't go too bad for y'all, I think I'd hate to be in the Malibu area for the next few days.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
65mph winds here in Tooele Utah, moisture coming in over the next 3 days (mostly going to be snow up here).
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »
here in Missouri we arent quite sure what to do....

yesterday was 12 degrees...

tomorrow 50 degrees

sunday 60+ degrees

:headscratch:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
welp, from the pacific NW

its been raining for about 2 weeks, will do so for another week at least

we got 14 inches of rain in portland in 24 hours a few weeks ago

good news is, my truck floats

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »
We only got about 10 inches of rain in '07...and that was the best we've had in about 8 years. This might be a good place for some enterprising person to start a desert.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

werty

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Sep '03
  • i need a martin crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
o ya its coming down. The drive home was fun. The wind was blowing the snow sideways across hwy 50.

werty

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Sep '03
  • i need a martin crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »
ok its about 2 inches now

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »
I don't know how fast the wind was here, but it blew down one of the signs from my store, which has stood (completely intact) since 1967.  we had rain coming in nearly horizontal. It was a blast.  Hopefully it stays strong like this. :crossed:

My boss lost a tree in his backyard, and we had 2 come down in town today also.

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:08:58 PM »
I heard on the radio on the way home that the Cat 4 winds were upgraded to ove 200 mph and going over Donner pass what insane, to say the least.

I have said this before and I will say it again... yeah.. we migh have hurricanes with hurricane force winds but we have WEEKS to prepare for them.

Where is the Mammoth?

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
I heard on the radio on the way home that the Cat 4 winds were upgraded to ove 200 mph and going over Donner pass what insane, to say the least.

I have said this before and I will say it again... yeah.. we migh have hurricanes with hurricane force winds but we have WEEKS to prepare for them.

sissy.

:greengrin:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
Yeah up here in Nor cal by truckee we got blasted last night and through this afternoon with insane winds. probably strongest i have seen here in a good 5+ years. 200+ foot tall trees were swaying in the wind like blades of grass. on the way home I saw an full grown tree being held up by the powerlines....didnt look like it was going to last much longer. roads all over town were scattered with small to large branches and debris. it has calmed down the last 3 hours but earlier the rain was coming in near horizontal and I nearly got clobbered on the head by kamikazi tree limbs many times. I was talking to longarms23 earlier and he said the scaffolding on the back of his house was torn down by the winds in truckee.

I just wish it would snow. i am glad we are getting so much precipitation because we need it, BAD. i just wish it was coming in the form of snow, because the last few years have been majorly WEAK for snow fall in california
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »
High Desert (Victorville) report, COLD COLD COLD
                                          WIND WIND WIND
                                           RAIN  RAIN  RAIN
Curently 43 at 8:48pm