Author Topic: Wicked Weather  (Read 9772 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Wicked Weather
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »
I heard on the radio on the way home that the Cat 4 winds were upgraded to ove 200 mph and going over Donner pass what insane, to say the least.

I have said this before and I will say it again... yeah.. we migh have hurricanes with hurricane force winds but we have WEEKS to prepare for them.

I, for the life of me, can not see any attraction to living in Cali...big ass fires, then mud slides and floods, earthquakes, blizzards, a bazillion cars on the road, loony ass laws...y'all are a different breed.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:07:21 PM »
I, for the life of me, can not see any attraction to living in Cali...big ass fires, then mud slides and floods, earthquakes, blizzards, a bazillion cars on the road, loony ass laws...y'all are a different breed.

And RS moved BACK!
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »
But we do have more than a few cool places to wheel and an ample supply of rust free old Toyotas to modify. :adoration:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:10:05 PM »

Is that just for me?  I went to work hoping to be rebuilding a lower unit for an outboard motor, but instead was told to put on my rain gear and drive a houseboat to another dock...... in gusts up to 80mph :yikes:  Good times!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
But we do have more than a few cool places to wheel and an ample supply of rust free old Toyotas to modify. :adoration:

I don't think Az got shorted on that...we don't have the Rubicon.

We get hot. We get a few, much smaller fires, we have our share of old hippies and left wing tofu eaters...but, all in all, we got it made.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:14:04 PM »
Is that just for me?  I went to work hoping to be rebuilding a lower unit for an outboard motor, but instead was told to put on my rain gear and drive a houseboat to another dock...... in gusts up to 80mph :yikes:  Good times!

Is that on your..."Honeydew" list?  :rofl2:

Sometimes, I just slay me!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:39:54 PM »

Just depends on where you live really. I hate all the major cities in CA because I was raised in the hills and deep in the woods. I also live on bedrock (a couple of miles thick) so earthquakes feel more like farts from some fat dude sitting on the floor than EQs. Too many steep hills for floods. Forest fires suck for sure, worry about em every year. Blizzards are a blast!! that means kick ass snow wheeling, EVERYWHERE!

Id rather deal with what i deal with what I have to deal with than deal with tornados, hurricanes, extreme drought, New Orleans style flooding (we dont get floods of that scale here) endless miles of flat ground, people that shop at fontucky fab..... :D

Dont get me wrong, there is a lot to hate about california but if you find the right place, its paradise :)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:53:53 PM »
Maybe one day the separatists will win and there will be a state of Norcal

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »
Maybe one day the separatists will win and there will be a state of Norcal

we already consider ourselves a different state, stay tuned for the CA civil war :D

(hopefully we can convince the rock brawlers to join our side, though they will be hard to convince since they'd have to abandon the hammers)
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Just wait for "The Big One" then the hammers will be ocean front property  :yupyup:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
The wind just picked up here, I was sitting here posting and boom out of nowhere it started. Won't be too long now before the storm hits. Man it is fricken windy out there, even for where I'm at.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »
Raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock here....

Blowing like a $2 hooker on dollar night.

Cold as a well diggers ass in a snow storm....

That's all from here, will update when the house stops floating and we land
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #42 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »
I'll tell you one thing.. Meteorologists are making a pretty good living at being bad psychics.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:24:43 PM »

That's all from here, will update when the house stops floating and we land

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #44 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »
Man the wind is unreal here, I'm hearing crap banging on my window, no rain yet.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:48:30 AM »
I'll tell you one thing.. Meteorologists are making a pretty good living at being bad psychics.

Can anyone think of a job where you can be wrong so often and still have a job? If I was that incorrect in my predictions, I'd be selling pencils on a street corner!

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:05:06 AM »
Can anyone think of a job where you can be wrong so often and still have a job? If I was that incorrect in my predictions, I'd be selling pencils on a street corner!

Erik

in a roundabout way...a batter.

or a mamber of congress

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:43:23 AM »
How is everyone doing today?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #48 on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:45:48 AM »
Very windy and a little rain, that is all.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:43:33 AM »
snow, winds have basicly died down but expecting 10-16" of snow today, then snow again tomorrow and monday.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
Sunny in Tracy. :yesnod:

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
69* and cloudy here.

Where is the Mammoth?

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #52 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »
partly cloudy.  no action.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »
This is what I woke up to. Always a nice sight IMO. Again our snow storms have been pretty weak this year compared to each winter prior to 2005. So far this is the most we have gotten, ended up with about a foot and a half at my house by the end of the day. im at about 3600 feet. Snowed nonstop until about 1 or 2 pm today and it has been on and off up until now. Hoping we get some more but i heard its supposed to die off. Not much snow but its always beautiful and tranquil when all you can hear is the sound of the snow falling

A small break in the storm, second shot is the view off of my back deck, seems the snow was really sporadic at lower elevations.

Almost can't tell there is a 4runner under there...almost

This snowstorm was much more easy going compared to the wind/rain storm we got the day before yesterday. Total damage from that storm in the area that I know of so far are: 1 house completely smashed by a huge oak, no injurries luckily. Pretty much everywhere in the county people lost power (i managed to keep mine the entire time though hehe suckers), trees were falling over left and right, most of them onto roads (something like 15-25 full sized trees toppled on roads alone). Massive branches were literally covering every road that ran in the vicinity of any kind of tree, lots of chaos (idiot drivers, ect). I guess the best estimate of the winds that hit my area were between 65-80 MPH gusts which is probably some of the nastiest winds I can remember, save one or two other times.

Also some other shitty storm-related news.... my girlfriend's parents had been remodeling their house way out of town and had been living in a 35 foot trailer on the property until the work was done. Unfortunatly they lost power and their water lines froze so they were staying at a hotel in town.

Not only did a large pine fall on their deck (which we had already replaced :angry:) but a bear tore the door of their trailer and tore the interior apart. there is practically nothing salvageable in the trailer. Miraculously, their cat which had stayed behind at the trailer survived. at its a 13 year old cat!! Pretty lucky little feline. so that is a big bummer. definitely one of the nastiest storms to roll through these parts in a while.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008, 07:13:29 PM by fortysixandtwo »

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
That's a hell of a view in that bottom shot.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 06, 2008, 07:16:25 PM »
That's a hell of a view in that bottom shot.

That it is. On a crystal clear day (no clouds, no smog from the sac valley) we can see about 25-30 miles out.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #56 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »
WIND!!! 

:dunno:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #58 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:31:52 PM »
WIND!!! 

:dunno:

I guess it's starting to rain now, and there is a big pile of snow in my driveway. :headscratch:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »
whats up with the nan thingy made of snow on the hood of the runner?
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole