Author Topic: Tiger Mauling SF Zoo  (Read 6811 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Tiger Mauling SF Zoo
« on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:19:58 AM »
sooo... i haven't seen a thread on this yet, so i decided to post one. anyone else hear about it? i am sure it's national news, it has at least raised awareness of safety concerns accross the country.

from what i heard on the radio, it has come out that the guy that got killed and his friends were antagonizing the tiger by shooting it with a slingshot and otehr forms of antagonization (if this is the case, they got what he deserved and i feel sorry for the tiger, i also want to make a note that the tiger did not attack anyone else in the park, only went after the people that were "speculatively" taunting the tiger)

i will reserve further judgement until all the facts are in, but if it is true, then i feel sorry for the tiger and those darwin award winners deserved it

The big cat exhibit at the San Francisco Zoo was cordoned off as a crime scene Wednesday while investigators tried to determine whether a Siberian tiger that killed a visitor and mauled two men escaped on its own, the city's police chief said.

"We're not certain whether this incident occurred as a result of human action or whether this was an incident where the animal was able to get out of the grotto," Police Chief Heather Fong said.

The San Francisco medical examiner identified the person who was fatally mauled as 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr., of San Jose, Calif. The two other victims, ages 19 and 23, were upgraded to stable condition Wednesday at San Francisco General Hospital after undergoing surgery to have their wounds cleaned and closed, surgeon Rochelle Dicker said. They suffered deep bites and claw cuts on their heads, necks, arms and hands.

The tiger, named Tatiana, attacked a zookeeper about a year ago during a public feeding, said Robert Jenkins, the zoo's director of animal care and conservation.

Tuesday's attack occurred just after 5 p.m., closing time, on the east end of the 125-acre grounds.

The 300-pound tiger did not leave through an open door, Jenkins said. But he could not explain how it escaped; the tiger's enclosure is surrounded by a 15-foot-wide moat and 20-foot-high walls.

"There was no way out through the door," Jenkins said. "The animal appears to have climbed or otherwise leapt out of the enclosure."

Fong said officers were gathering witness accounts and physical evidence from the enclosure. She would not say if the investigation had yielded any clues about how the animal got loose.

The first attack happened right outside the tiger's enclosure — the victim died at the scene. Four responding officers came across his body when they made their way into the dark zoo grounds, police spokesman Steve Mannina said.

Then they saw the second victim about 300 yards away. The man was sitting on the ground, blood running from gashes in his head, the tiger sitting near him. Suddenly, the tiger attacked the man again, Mannina said.

The officers started approaching the tiger, bearing their handguns. When it started moving in their direction, several of the officers fired, killing the animal.

Only then did they see the third victim, who had also been mauled.

discuss

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Tiger Mauling SF Zoo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »
Yep, national news.

:yesnod:

And yes, they should have had a steel roof on that pen like the Sac Zoo does.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »
Yeah I have read this but have not heard anything about what caused it.  Where did you hear they were using a sling shot?

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:50:14 AM »
Yeah I have read this but have not heard anything about what caused it.  Where did you hear they were using a sling shot?

all over the radio today

let me see if i can find any online info on it, also i think i heard something about it last night on the news

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
Well if thats what he did he got what he deserves.  I just hope no Innocent people got hurt.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:55:37 AM »
http://deathby1000papercuts.blogspot.com/2008/01/slingshots-liquor-and-tigers-activity.html

now by no means is this gospel, but thats what was said today on the radio, and there are a few sites that back it up....

the court of public opinion goes a long way... you can find anything you want really....

there are also several reports from different sources sayign an empty bottle of vodka was in their car or somethign along those lines....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »
I haven't read or heard anything about a slingshot, but I do know that it's the second time THAT particular tiger - Tatianna - has attacked a person.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:02:48 AM »
 :welcome: II  :turtle: :gap:

Silly boy should have known not to drink before going to the zoo, those animals will take advantage of you in that state, oh wait that's women going to fraternities......    nevermind.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »
just for note, i want to add yup it was the second time that tiger attacked someone, but who is to say it wasn't the fault of the tiger? also if it were a pitbull they would have put it down after the first incident... why was this tiger not put down before? raises another good question

:pokinit: happens when you decide to keep a huge beast caged up and make it fit a schedule of feeding... it attacked a zookeeper a year ago

just saying

we don't know all the details, thats why there is controversy and discussion....
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2008, 11:22:49 AM by jimbo74 »

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:20:37 AM »

we don't know all the details, thats why there is controversy and discussion....

That's how gossip gets started... probably also how those stories bout the vodka and the slingshot got started

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:21:59 AM »
SOAPBOX ALERT!

:soapbox:

I hate these majestic wild animals being held captive for our selfish viewing pleasure at all. The pratice of the captivity of wild animals whether in zoo's or circus's or wherever should be abolished.

:rant:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »

That's how gossip gets started... probably also how those stories bout the vodka and the slingshot got started

not sure about the slingshot, but there is word from reputable newspapers on the vodka

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:24:17 AM »
SOAPBOX ALERT!

:soapbox:

I hate these majestic wild animals being held captive for our viewing pleasure at all. The pratice of the captivity of wild animals whether in zoo's or circus's or wherever should be abolished.

:rant:

i wont go this far... but if it does come out there was any taunting involved, then the idiots got what they deserved

going to a zoo involves risk, hell i could die in a car accident on my way to work (and knowing me, it might happen too)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »

not sure about the slingshot, but there is word from reputable newspapers on the vodka

Um... Newsflash... NO Newspaper is reputable :thumbs: A reporter will do what it takes to get a story.  I'm not dogging reporters, I'm just stating.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »

Um... Newsflash... NO Newspaper is reputable :thumbs: A reporter will do what it takes to get a story.  I'm not dogging reporters, I'm just stating.

ok fine, the zoo thing never happened its all a hoax....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »

i wont go this far... but if it does come out there was any taunting involved, then the idiots got what they deserved

going to a zoo involves risk, hell i could die in a car accident on my way to work (and knowing me, it might happen too)

So you think it is perfectly OK to hold animals captive for our own selfish purposes.

If a captive animal attacks for any reason I say it was totally warranted. It is what wild animals do. They do not deserve to be put on display. And don't give me this :blah: about how they are so much better off then in the wild. That's nothing but a bunch of rationalized BS to make people feel OK about it.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:35:43 AM »
So you think it is perfectly OK to hold animals captive for our own selfish purposes.

If a captive animal attacks for any reason I say it was totally warranted. It is what wild animals do. They do not deserve to be put on display. And don't give me this :blah: about how they are so much better off then in the wild. That's nothing but a bunch of rationalized BS to make people feel OK about it.

Set the Willy Mammoth free!  No longer will the members of the Marlin Board sit by and watch Mark "dismember" such a majestic creature in an effort to better live up to his selfish expectations!  :haha:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:35:56 AM »
sure why not... we have pets don't we? even if they are domesticated, at one point in time they were wild..

If a captive animal attacks for any reason I say it was totally warranted. They are wild animals and do not deserve to be put on display.
i agree

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »
just anotehr note too... i hope im not pissing anyone off.... some people can get pretty pissy about issues such as this... i stand by what i have said. if you agree or disagree that is your choice to do so

as i used to have in my signature, and might put back soo... im a man of my convictions call me wrong call me right, hate me if you want to, love me if you can

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »

Oh come awn, everybody knows that if it's in the newspaper, TV or on the www. it is the gospel truth. Who cares if he'd been drinking, the question is why'd the tiger get out and how. Even if the drunken bum (and we don't know he was even drinking before going to the zoo) the tiger should not be able to get out, period.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »
Oh come awn, everybody knows that if it's in the newspaper, TV or on the www. it is the gospel truth. Who cares if he'd been drinking, the question is why'd the tiger get out and how. Even if the drunken bum (and we don't know he was even drinking before going to the zoo) the tiger should not be able to get out, period.

:werd:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »
Set the Willy Mammoth free!  No longer will the members of the Marlin Board sit by and watch Mark "dismember" such a majestic creature in an effort to better live up to his selfish expectations!  :haha:

:rofl2:  Good one!

But really, I heard about this story last week I guess it was. I thought they said the two others that were mauled were sitting at some table at a coffee shop or something.

sure why not... we have pets don't we? even if they are domesticated, at one point in time they were wild..

Maybe milleniums ago, but they are not wild now.
We don't go out to where they roam free and capture them to domesticate them. We have a sybiotic relationship with domestic animals. They want to be with us as much as we want them to be around. Just ask Tinydog :yupyup:
Tigers do not want to be caged in a zoo and elephants do not want to be paraded around three ring circus's dressed in a tutu with a poodle doing backflips on their back.

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
:rofl2:  Good one!

But really, I heard about this story last week I guess it was. I thought they said the two others that were mauled were sitting at some table at a coffee shop or something.

Yeah, there was a coffee shop bout 300 yards away from the cage.. and the tiger took off to them after he finished with the first guy.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
Yeah, there was a coffee shop bout 300 yards away from the cage.. and the tiger took off to them after he finished with the first guy.

So how could they say they were taunting the tiger?

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »
Even if someone was taunting the tiger it should not have been able to get out. We were members of the San Diego Zoological Society for years and when we'd go you'd always see some kid messing around taunting some of the animals, flat out regardless of what happened the tiger should have no way of getting out. The only reason I quit was they were all eco-nuts.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
So how could they say they were taunting the tiger?
they say it was these 2 guys and the one that died that were taunting the tiger in the pen, and that once it got out and got their friend, they fled, and the tiger sought them out and found them

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
they say it was these 2 guys and the one that died that were taunting the tiger in the pen, and that once it got out and got their friend, they fled, and the tiger sought them out and found them

Then if that were true, the cat knew who he was goin after :headscratch:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:37:14 PM »

So, you have a tiger chasing down your  :moon: and you sit in a coffee shop as a way to what... blend in hoping the tiger won't notice?

'Oh, just keep talking like we don't notice it, maybe it'll go away'

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club