Author Topic: idling high, and reving up and down. UPDATE!!! Horrible Grinding Noise  (Read 4484 times)

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
 :chicken: hey there...i have a 1993 toyota pick-up, with a newly rebuilt 22re, with a upgraded cam. before it was rebuilt it would idle high, and bounce between 1700 and 2000 RPM, we blamed it on the knock sensor since it was knocking so bad (it had a bent rod). so it sat for four months till i could get it rebuilt. after it was rebuilt the problem seemed fixed, until about a month latter. it started small, every once and a while it would rev while idling. but as time went by it got worse... now it's exactly like it was before, if not worse. i thought it was the o2 sensor so i replaced that, and while it turned off my check engine light, it didn't fix the reving . but now every once and a while the check engine light comes back on, but not for very long. i've about had it with the truck, as it broke the joint between the rear axle and the drive shaft not long ago and i had to put it in four wheel drive to get home! :mad:
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 04:03:51 PM by Mega Mormon »
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Re: idling high, and reving up and down.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2007, 05:59:08 PM »
The most common cause for "hunting" is the throttle position switch being out of adjustment.
When the engine is idling [air box door closed and low idle], the computer must see base idle.
After loosening the philips screws, I recall rotating the switch CCWise and it solved the hunting.
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2007, 09:27:12 PM »
Don't forget to drop your idle before messing with anything else too. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Kaptain

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:54:29 AM »
:chicken: hey there...i have a 1993 toyota pick-up, with a newly rebuilt 22re, with a upgraded cam. before it was rebuilt it would idle high, and bounce between 1700 and 2000 RPM, we blamed it on the knock sensor since it was knocking so bad (it had a bent rod). so it sat for four months till i could get it rebuilt. after it was rebuilt the problem seemed fixed, until about a month latter. it started small, every once and a while it would rev while idling. but as time went by it got worse... now it's exactly like it was before, if not worse. i thought it was the o2 sensor so i replaced that, and while it turned off my check engine light, it didn't fix the reving . but now every once and a while the check engine light comes back on, but not for very long. i've about had it with the truck, as it broke the joint between the rear axle and the drive shaft not long ago and i had to put it in four wheel drive to get home! :mad:

Pull the codes and see why the Check Engine light is coming on... in most cases that will point you in the right direction

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
Pull the codes and see why the Check Engine light is coming on... in most cases that will point you in the right direction

it's in the shop at the moment getting the driveshaft fixed, but i will as soon as i can. the problem is that it only comes on once and a while and it seems that when it does i'm running late and don't have time to check it...
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

attitude of gratitude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 90
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »
Check the coolant. Sounds crazy I know! Gets air pockets around the ECT and gets the computer all confused. Worth a shot
88 4runner , Can-Back, KMA bumpers, sas, 5:29's, 37" MTR's, Aussie, 6" rear Marlin springs, $50 paint job, Thorley and Dynomax exhaust, Body Shutzed the rockers, 3.4 swap,

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
i know... already did. my tercel used to do that when it was running low on coolant.
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
He figured out how to get it to stop reving up, But we cant find how to lower the idle.  The manual says that the computer controls the idle.... it is idling at about 1700 RPM

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2008, 07:37:17 AM »
On the intake side, under the intake there is a cold idle valve that coolant flows through.  It causes the engine to idle higher when you start it.  If this valve gets a bit of trash in it or gets old it can cause the engine to idle high.  Then when you put on the brakes, the computer cuts the fuel and the idle drops, then goes back up, so the computed cuts the fuel, ect. ect.  So the rpms bounce up and down.  It's because that valve is sticking.  So it may stick sometimes, and may work right other times.  Mine does the same thing off and on.  I flushed out my coolant system to clean it out and it has been working fine for the last month or so. 

At first I thought it was the TPS so I replaced it, but it didn't fix it.  Then I replaced the Mass Air Flow, but that didn't help...  Finally narrowed it down to the Cold Idle Valve.  Hope this helps.
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:02:46 AM »
Thanks, we will look at it.... Oh, and it only idled fine for a little  bit.... It is back to reving up and down.   But the adjustments we made did help some.  its reving from 1K to 1.2K instead of up in the 2K range.  We will try flushing the coolant system tonight if we have time.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:11:58 PM »
We flushed it out.... It seems to work great now.... I also didn't notice the comment about what happens when the brakes are applied but tonight we noticed what happens when the brakes are applied.... so yea... it was exactly what was wrong... thanks

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2008, 04:11:17 AM »
We flushed it out.... It seems to work great now.... I also didn't notice the comment about what happens when the brakes are applied but tonight we noticed what happens when the brakes are applied.... so yea... it was exactly what was wrong... thanks

Glad it worked out for you.   :biggthumpup:
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:05:13 PM »
Where is this cold idle valve located?  It worked for a while.... ran great, but now it is back to it's old habits

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »
It is under the intake.  There is a rubber line attached to it for the coolant to run through. 
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

Mega Baby Huey [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2008, 03:54:21 PM »
well, it kind of fixed the problem... it still revs, just not as badly and not as often. i'm gonna have to clean it out manually. plus something else broke and now when i rev up over 3500 rpm's (or occasionally when it's idling up and down), there's this horrible grinding sound! it happened when i was trying to make it up this steep icy driveway. i thought if i could get a bit of a run at it i could make it, cause the ice patch was patchy, and barely longer than my wheel base. i couldn't make it, and as i was trying to back up my front tires were on the ice so i had now way to steer. and i may have slid into the house (didn't do any damage). to get out i had to put it in four low (without locking the hubs) and get the back tires onto the ice to get them to spin, and do a kind of uphill-powerslide-away-from-the-house manuver. the rpm's got up to about 5k. and it just started grinding. the power's not affected and there's no check engine light. heck it doesn't even vibrate while i'm going down the road. and it only does it sometimes... i'm lost... and pissed  :mad: ...
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2008, 04:02:57 PM by Mega Mormon »
My Old Toy