Author Topic: clutch kill switch  (Read 1759 times)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
clutch kill switch
« on: Oct 28, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »
as some of you may know i've been having starter problems. some times it will start, sometimes it just clicks. disasymbled the starter, replaced some connections, cleaned others, still the same problem. then my dad pointed out that his old 89 4runner had the clutch start switch go bad (why you have to press the clutch pedal down to start the truck) and i started playing with mine and noticed that everytime i hotwired the switch, the truck would start right up.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z277/redhead1987/starter%20fix/
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
Re: clutch kill switch
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »
goodjob on figuring it out?

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2007, 05:34:14 PM »
originally thought it was the starter. bought the truck used back in late june and was having occasional starting problems with it. replaced both of the L shaped brackets inside the starter (when you pull the back cover off you can see them, electrical current goes from them to the plunger that forces the starter gear to contact the flywheel.) and cleaned up the plunger's copper ring. started just fine for the next 2 months then began to act up again. so i had the battery tested (cheapo wallmart battery) and it tested ok. weak but ok. starting got worse until basicly you had no choice but to push start it. was going to pull the starter again to check out the brushes when my dad mentioned that the clutch kill switch on his old 4runner did the same thing when he had it. (even using your little button to bypass the switch wont work if the switch that the pedal contacts is going bad). so i unscrewed the switch from just behind the clutch pedal (up by the pedals hinge), took a screwdriver and shorted the contacts on the back of it. put the truck in neutral and it fired right up every time. cut the wires off of the switch since the dealership quoted me 42 bucks for it (money i dont have) and connected the wires.

upside, i dont have to worry about that switch ever going bad again and the truck starts every time now.
downside, truck will try to start if its in gear and you forget to put the clutch in. i'm used to that with my old 81 gmc pickup that had an sm465, but for other people it can be a problem.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »
Funny thing when I bought my truck I had a similar problem and was thinking about replacing the starter. I had noticed that my truck did not require that I depress the clutch to start it and found that the switch had been bypassed. I put it back the way it is supposed to be and have not had an issue since.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

toby

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
My clutch kill switch is bad too, the only way I can start mine is to push the button in the dash.
I'm not as good as I once was, but, I'm as good once as I ever was.