Author Topic: Easiest way to wire kill switch??  (Read 18692 times)

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Easiest way to wire kill switch??
« on: Apr 25, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
I need to put an engine kill switch in my truck, and wondering whats the easiest way to do this?  I'm guessing one of the leads off the coil, but looking for suggestions.  Thanks

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to wire kill switch??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2005, 01:14:37 PM »
Are you looking to wire in a switch so the motor can not be started without it on or for a switch to kill the motor in case of a roll? Only ask as the locations and wire will vary for the 2. For a theft deterent switch, you'll need to interrupt the "start" wire and put a simple toggle in line to cut power from that function. That'll keep the starter from cranking over at all. For an engine kill  switch, you'll need to interrupt the coil "+" lead. That'll cut power to the coil, killing the motor.
"between projects"

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:20:55 PM »
I had mine wired from one of the wires from the coil.  The engine will turn over by the starter but there is no power going to the sparl plugs/distributer.  It will also kill the engine if need be.  I just hooked it up to a toggle switch that is out of sight.

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »
I had mine wired from one of the wires from the coil.  The engine will turn over by the starter but there is no power going to the sparl plugs/distributer.  It will also kill the engine if need be.  I just hooked it up to a toggle switch that is out of sight.

I did the same thing he did. It was sort of trial and error as to which wire to cut. I simply cut one of the small black wires and tried to start the truck, didnt start, so that was the best candidate.

I highly recommend putting the switch in a location other than under the dash. Thieves know these little tricks and will search for it.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005, 11:18:22 PM by guywithuglyyota »
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2005, 11:05:11 PM »
The Coil kill switch is the most simple and possibly the most common method used..

Just run a wire from the (-) Neg. terminal of your coil to a switched ground. If the wire is grounded (switch CLOSED), then the coil will never be able to build a charge in the secondary windings and there is no spark.
If the wire is ungrounded (switch OPEN) then nothing happens and the engine runs as normal.

Problems with this:
1) If you have the coil grounded and you crank the engine for a prolonged period of time, then the coil will build up heat and will eventually be destroyed. But I am talking about minuets of cranking, which would be stupid anyways. I forget to flip my switch all the time and its perfectly fine. I'll crank it and I know right away that I forgot to flip to switch, so I'll just flip it and fire it up.
2) Remember that you are only cutting out the spark. Fuel is still being delivered, both Carb or EFI setups. So if you crank the engine for, oh lets say 5 seconds straight with the switch Closed, and then Open the switch and try to start it, then it will run extremely rich for a couple of seconds and you will dump raw unburned gas right into your catalytic converter which is life threatening to the converter. Also excessive fuel in the cylinders will eaisly seap past the piston rings and will containimate your engine oil which will shorten the life and preformance of the oil. :nonono:

Again, these problems only occur if you crank the engine for prolong periods with the coil grounded. And since you wont do that, you dont have to worry about it..

For the 85+ 5spd models, the "Clutch Start Cancel" option is a great kill switch that requires less wire and is more hidden then the coil method. If your vehicle requires you to activate the clutch in order to start the engine, then this applies to you.
Look down at your clutch pedal assembly. There will be a switch that is activated only when the clutch pedal is activated, or depressed. All this switch does is just grounds a relay that controls your "Start" circuit.
So, In order to use this circuit as a kill device, simply put a switch between the relay and the clutch pedal switch.
When the switch is closed, you will have to press the clutch pedal all the way down in order to start the vehicle.
When the switch is open, no current will flow through it, so the circuit will never be grounded, which means the Starter relay will never engage, and the starter solenoid will never activate the starter. No matter if the clutch pedal is down or not, the truck simply will not start.
This is precisely what the "Clutch Start Cancel" switch does. It just grounds out the Starter Relay so that you dont have to ground it by pressing the clutch pedal down.
So when you install this switch, make sure that you wire it near the Starter Relay so that its in front of both the "Clutch Start Cancel" and the actual clutch activated switch. Otherwise a clever wood-be thief could just press the "Clutch Start Cancel" switch and actually override your clutch cancel kill switch :smack:
The Starter Relay should be in the cabin fuse box on the drivers side. Check the map on the fuse box cover or check your FSM.

The only problem with this method is that its a "Silent" kill switch. What I mean is that lets say you park your rig out side your window at night. And someone jimmies the lock and gets in side. Then lets say he is able to hot wire your ignition and he tries to start it. Then what happens? Nothing, nothing at all. No sound. So he still has plenty of time to look around and try to figure out why its not cranking.. as you lay in your bed dreaming about Rock Crawling, he has all night to run some trouble shooting before the truck actually makes a sound.
This is apposed to the Coil Kill Switch which is not a "Silent" kill switch. Get it? If he tries to start it, it will just crank and crank and crank, never fire up, but it will hopefully wake you up! That's the difference. Or at the least, someone will notice that a vehicle is cranking and not firing and they might become curious and notice that the window is broken or something...
So this Clutch Kill Switch works great, its just a silent kill switch.

And thirdly, you could put either a switch that interrupts the fuel pump and/or and OCR (Opening Circuit Relay). This is a great kill method that is the best of both worlds: You get an engine that cranks and cranks and cranks, so its noisy and will wake you up, but their are no ill effects with this method. The spark plugs will be firing thin air, which is perfectly normal, and since the fuel pump is disabled the engine will not flood over so you dont have to worry about your cat or oil..

In my opinion you should do all three of these if possible, and also search for other methods to disable your rig. If you just spend 5 mins looking at a wire diagram, you'll find all kinds of kill areas.

And about your switch, try to be as creative as possible. Use black switches instead of chrome and put them in odd locations, like behind your visor, hey, why not? If its gonna keep your rig with you why not?

In fact one of my kill switches is not even in my cabin, its some where else. Of course its inconvenient, as its only used for extended storages, if Im away for the weekend or a trip. The guy can do all he wants inside my truck, he will never ever get it started.

Another thing is that I used to try to "hide" my actions when I was activating a kill switch. I didnt want people to see what/where I am flipping a switch each time I parked my truck. But you know what, it doesnt matter. If they want your truck they will get it somehow.. Just remember that your kill switch isn't for those who are watching you park your rig every day, they will catch on to your tricks, but rather its for those punks who think they can have your ride and just go for it. They will come up short because of your 10 mins you spend installing a $2 switch that will be the best theft deterrent device you ever installed.

Don't think about installing one, just do it.
BigMike
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2005, 11:14:15 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2005, 11:29:08 PM »
The clutch and the "start" wires are also kind of cool because they can be turned off while you are still driving so you could start the truck @ your house in the morning, immediately kill those 2 switches and drive to work. Once there turn the truck off, walk away and no one sees you reaching for any switches to disarm the motor.   :thumbs:
"between projects"

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »
Oh yeah, I should have added that! I flip my clutch switch as Im leaving my house, or while Im on the freeway, no one knows that Im doing and if I forget about it when I park, its already activated

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2005, 12:05:52 AM »
I found your tounge to the coil wire is the best way :shocking:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2005, 08:40:09 AM »
With an injected truck you can cut power to the injectors. Then it turns over, makes noise, and won't bloody start.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2005, 10:20:40 AM »
With an injected truck you can cut power to the injectors. Then it turns over, makes noise, and won't bloody start.

An easy way to do that is install to remove the Injector (or Engine) Fuse and make two wires with spade tongues to plug into the fuse box. Then place a switch on the hot side of the fuse and route that into a inline fuse and use the same factory fuse there, and then wire it back into the fuse box on the circuit side.

Then when you throw the switch its like removing the fuse.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2005, 11:30:27 AM »
with the clutch start cancel, I had a friend who made it so you had to push in the clutch, and hold the cancel in at the same time, otherwise the truck wouldnt start.  How would he have done this?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2005, 04:52:58 PM »
The only problem with cutting power to the efi fuse would be that every time you did it the ecu would lose any learned information.  It would be easier to kill power to the fuel pump.

As for the clutch start cancel switch, he most likely moved the clutch switch into series with the clutch start cancel switch, instead of them being in paralell paths to ground.

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2005, 07:54:19 AM »
Don't cut power to the ECU, only to the injectors.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

ToySoldiers

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 49
  • Member since Mar '05
  • real trucks are bulit not bought
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2005, 07:22:54 PM »
i dont know if this will help but my race car has a main disconnect that kills the power to everything, these are heavy amp switches they can be purchased at jegs, or summit or your local performance parts store will have them and there fairly inexpensive you can hide them any wear past your pos. batt. post