Author Topic: LCE Header... and then?? Header install how-to, pg 7, 12/27/07  (Read 48112 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
well :pokinit:. I really hope I didn't mess up my spring bolt deal. Where does that bolt come from? It is the one that goes through the pack, correct? It is like 30 degrees out right now, and I don't feel like going out and looking at it, I just woke up. Thank you for the possible problem, and the spring offer. I wish I lived closer to anyone. Nobody lives near me, so I am on my own most of the time.

Thanks for rim info as well. You are the man for toyota info. Now I just need to move close to you and the mammoths, then I would have an awesome build!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I quit being lazy and went outside to look at it. I can see the bottom of the pin deal, si it hasn't completely broken off and fallen out. What do you think?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
top of the bolt is ok too? looks fine dunno
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
can't see the top, bumpstop is in the way.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
can't see the top, bumpstop is in the way.
if thats the case then your spring is probably going negative creating the rubbing
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I looked at my passenger side after going and doing errands, and it is even negitive arched now too! I think I might be trying the OME kit in the future. Maybe next summer. I hope this springs will last until then. I have other things to work on right now. I need to get my fourwheeler running so I can use it to plow snow, and I need to rebuild my dirtbikes transmission and engine.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

(pre knuckle rebuild)

See. Bumpstop is located right above pin thing. And yes, when I flex it does hit both the main bumpstop and the smaller one towards the back of the spring.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
and the smaller one towards the back of the spring.
there isnt a smaller one on the back..is it contacting the spring clamp to the frame? or the wrap on the back of the spring to the frame? doesnt really matter...i would replace the springs
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Look at the first picture. There is a big bumpstop on the axle over the pin thing. Now look to the right a little bit. There is a smaller bumpstop attached to a bracket on the frame. It hits that one while articulating. If you look closely on the spring directly under it, there is no dirt, and there is a barely visible small circle. The small circle comes from the middle of the bumpstop. If you still don't see it, I can edit it and show you what I am talking about.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
aye, gotcha! dont listen to me, i have no idea what im actually talking about  :_oops:
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Dang, I just got done editing it, and was about to post it. I am glad you noticed without me doing it. I will post it anyways for others that still don't believe. Red is big bumpstop. Blue is small bumpstop. Green is small bumpstop contact point.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
30x9.5, yes they rub. Why? I do not know. Spring was resting on BOTH bump stops. My front drivers side spring is shot, and my pasengers side is getting there. My drivers side sits like an inch lower than the passengers side

see, negitive arch on drivers side. The other side is just flat. (pre knuckle rebuild)

Odd, I have over 500,000 miles on my stock 80 springs and it still sits even.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I believe, but am not positive, that the 79-83 springs are different from the 84-85 springs. I talked to someone about it on I think my knuckle rebuild thread, and neither of us were sure. Can anyone confirm that they are or are not the same?

EDIT: I talked to 89toy about it.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
dont u people wear shoes? jeeeez

:rofl2:
RIP KYOTA

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
maybe hes from arkansaw
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I got out of bed about 5 min before I took those pics, and I was just too lazy to put shoes on. I went back inside and went back to sleep after I took them. I explained already in the knuckle rebuild thread. I almost never leave the house without shoes on, or pants for that matter. I don't know why I wasn't wearing pants.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
maybe hes from arkansaw

Wyoming actually

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
I don't know why I wasn't wearing pants.
thats a little TMI there bud!  :psss:
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
 :laugh:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yes  the  tie bolt appears to be broke,

look on the front side of  the ubolt plate  for signs of slipage, 

also  i bet it doesnt turn as  sharp to the right as it does to the left

you can replace the tie bolt easily,  and can get a box of them for $12
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
you can see here  where the axle has moved  front to back on the spring
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
and yes  79 and some 80's  had a 5 leaf front spring,   later trucks had a  thicker  4 leaf  that had  the  long  side  on the rear

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
WOW so much info! I don't see the slippage that you speak of, but I am kind of retarded. Do I just take the u bolts off, move the bumpstop out of the way, and put in a new bolt? Where can I get a new bolt? Toyota? Should I replace the u bolts while I have them off, like I did when I did my rear axle swap? I don't really notice a difference when turning.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
you CAN  re use  the  u bolts,  just go to napa  and get "leaf spring tie bolts" 

yes  remove the u bolts,   raise  the  frame,  lower the axle away  from the spring,  then remove the bad bolt  and  replace it

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
If I do this (It is kind of cold up here) I will replace both, if it is really that easy. I will go to NAPA tomorrow and check into it. Is NAPA open sundays?

O OK now I see

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
my napa aint

gonna go watch some John Wayne  :wave:

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
My NAPA isn't open on sundays either. It looks like I should be able to pick some up saturday. My NAPA has some wierd hours that don't allow me to go there during the work week. Anyways, I really hope they have some in stock, we have a small NAPA. I went to one in South Dakota that was atleast 3 times the size of mine. I should be able to get into my dad's shop on saturday or sunday, depending upon if his boss has his racing sleds out or not. (sleds are snowmobiles for those of you who didn't know). There are highs in the low to mid 30s this weekend, so it wont be getting done outside. I might even try to get me header on, but then I will have to drive it around with an open header (my ears hurt just thinking about it) for atleast a week. Any suggestions for the header install? Anyone use Flowmaster 60 series (I am not giving up just yet)? Thanks for all the help everyone!

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
its fun running it uncorked.  It wont hurt your ears...

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Ok, update time. This past weekend I did some electrical stuff, and (tried to) install my new Marlin bumper. I also took off front axle to change out the tie bolts. Guess what? They were not what was broken. I replaced them anyways. So I am thinking that the really tweaked leaf springs are to blame for the firewall contact. Tomorrow is header time. I am going to bolt it all from header to test pipe, then attach the testpipe to my old ghetto exhaust. I will run that until new exhaust is bent up. I am afraid to run just header, because I don't want to burn up any exhaust valves or anything else like that. I am still not sure what muffler to use, I will talk to the guy bending the kit about it.