Author Topic: tranny type and compatability question  (Read 3317 times)

BigBri

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
tranny type and compatability question
« on: May 16, 2004, 10:04:45 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to drivetrains, and have a compatability question.

I want to know if my tranny, an auto, from an '86 22RE-turbo, will fit in an '89 V6 truck. And will that '89's 5-speed bolt right up to my 22RE turbo?  Might we have to swap bellhousings or something, or is it impossible?
Thanks a lot, Brian. 

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
Re: tranny type and compatability question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 10:54:45 PM »
i don't know about the auto tranny, but the R150F 5 speed from the '89 will bolt up to your turbo motor, but you need the turbo bellhousing.  you'll also need an adaptor plate to run gear drive cases and you need to convert them to 23 spline.

the straightforward way to go is to get a R151F turbo 5 speed, but they're expensive and hard to find

BigBri [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 12:31:17 PM »
Cool, so so it looks like we could swap the complete tranny and transfer case, but just leave the bellhousings.  I this is a dumb question, especially around here :smack: but what shaft is the 21/23 splines refering to.  Is it the output from the tranny? not the input right?
Thx, B.

Paul_Elbisser

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 43
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Supra Powered
    • View Profile
    • KraZyfly
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 01:57:55 PM »
 I don't think the bell housing will match up. You will need a bellhousing that goes from a 22R series block to a R series trans to put the 5 speed from the V6 to your turbo. Also take a look at the Auto,does the belhousing come off it. I do't mess with them, but I'm not sure if it does.

Also you will need to swap in the clutch and flywheel Not sure there what fits but I know the Turbo is bigger.

Paul Elbisser
PastTLCA Eastern Rep,
Pres. Rice on the Rocks
One of Those Guys

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 02:37:16 PM »
Cool, so so it looks like we could swap the complete tranny and transfer case, but just leave the bellhousings.  I this is a dumb question, especially around here :smack: but what shaft is the 21/23 splines refering to.  Is it the output from the tranny? not the input right?
Thx, B.
yes, you could do it that way.  it'll get the job done and has a better stock t-case ratio than a gear driven case(that's moot if you regear a geardrive case though ;)).  the only thing you'd need to hook the v6 tranny/t-case to the 22R is to find a bellhousing off a 22RE turbo pickup with a 5 speed to mate the v6 tranny to the 4 banger engine

and yes, i was referring to t-case input/tranny output splines.  all 20R, 22R, 22RE trucks from the factory have 21 splines, whereas all v6 and 22RTE trucks have 23

BigBri [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 02:40:13 PM »
Thanks Paul,
Yea, the bellhousing on my turbo-auto comes off.
What is actually going on here, is, I'm in the process of swapping out my auto for a 5 speed.  I have all the parts and am ready to put the tranny in.  Unfortunatly its from an '85 carb truck (G52?), so I know it'll be living (dieing) on borrowed time.  I just run on the street or in desert sand so I don't have much shock-loading, and I hope it'll at least hold up a little while.  I know to take it easy on 5th also. 

So right now I'm trying to figure out which doner trannys will fit easily, and possibly working on a swap with a guy with and '89 V6 5speed.  So any tip appreciated, except "leave the auto in there"  That ain't an option, it's allready out.  Thx, B.