Author Topic: brake problems 83 pick up  (Read 1018 times)

toeyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
brake problems 83 pick up
« on: Aug 27, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »
Been tring to take care a of a few nic-nacs while my motor is being machined. The left(driver) tire has always been hard to spin by hand... So i took it off and started to explore, i can take the brake pads out and it spins like a top by hand. I put the brake pads back on, bled the brakes and pumped them back up and its very hard to spin again. Am i dealing with a warped rotor? I did change the caliper on that side since i had a spare laying around, and that didnt fix the problem. The pads  still have plenty of meat left on them. Anybody have any ideas?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: brake problems 83 pick up
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2007, 09:55:36 PM »
are the wheel bearings ok? properly ajusted?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2007, 02:39:52 PM »
Chances are good that if your rotor was warped it would spin easily and then get hard as it reached the warped area.  It sounds like either the caliper pistons are sticking or something is not letting pressure release from the caliper.  Best thing to do if the pistons are sticking is to replace the caliper with a new or rebuilt unit.  If pressure is not releasing it could be caused by a bad brake hose to the wheel.  It may look ok externally but have internal damage that makes it act almost like a check valve.  Lastly, I'm not familiar with the brakes used on the solid axle trucks only the IFS, but how do the pads mount?  Are the in grooves on the caliper bracket or are they held in with pins through the caliper?  If they fit into grooves you may want the remove the pads and clean these areas out with a wire brush and file.  Also if the caliper mounts on slide pins rather than bolting on solid one of these could be sticking.  Hope I can be of some assistance to you.

Andrew
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »
I put in new( re-manufactured, good quality) calipers and wow - what a difference over the 10+ year old ones that were on it.

If yours are over ten years old or in bad shape, just toss them and get one ones.  I dropped 50+ feet off of my stopping times from 60mph/getting off the freeway.  Well worth it, considering I don't have ABS like all the cars in front of me.

toeyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2007, 04:45:46 PM »
Yea there is a hard spot while the wheel is turning, also a scraping noise only in that one spot. I bet its the rotors. I did install a new caliper and it helped alittle bit. Ill go get some new rotors in a day or 2, thanks for all the help.