Author Topic: Brake warning light stays on?, 1993 pick up with 3RZ conversion.  (Read 7171 times)

speedstar751

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
Anyone got any tips on why my brake warning light might be staying on its a 1993 extra cab hilux SR5 fitted with a 2000 twin coil 3RZ. Was fine until I got it on the road and started driving now it won't go off. Brakes work fine, fluids full, level switch in the reservoir lid is working checked it with multimeter?

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
is it the brake light or the e-brake?   there's a switch that the e-brake handle touches to make that light go off.... if it's the e-brake light. Just needs to be adjusted if that's the case..
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
If it gets brighter when you pull the e-brake on something is wrong with MC switch. At least that is what happend on mine.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DirtDog15

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Trail Runner
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook page
Hello:

If I'm not mistaken, the '93 uses one light for both brake warning and parking brake, at least that's how my '94 4runner is. There are only 2 sensors that trip the light, the fluid level sensor in the master cylinder and the parking brake. If your cretin that the fluid is full and the level switch is good, it has to be the parking brake switch. Check it out and see what you get.
1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.0 V6 5 spd 4x4
276,000+ miles and still kicking- Daily driver and
Trail rig.

speedstar751 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
Hey guys its not the E-brake I'm in australia so maybe the set up is abit different my truck has one light for the E-brake it works fine and beside it is another light for the master cylinder level. The light was on until the brakes were bled and adjusted etc then it was normal until I got it out on the road and started driving it the light came on and hasn't gone out. Brakes seem to work fine, I bled them again to make sure was abit of crap in the brake fluid if that can cause issues cars been sitting being built for a year and a half or so.

The voltage changed when I lifted the sensor up and down on bottom of reservoir lid so I'm assuming it works, when the sensor reads low via the lid the warning light actually got a bit brighter somehow like it was getting a signal from 2 sources if thats possible?

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Sounds like the lid might have a short internally, there should be no continuity between the two wires on the master cylinder cap, try just plain unplugging it and seeing if the light goes out. (worked on my 91 runner)
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

speedstar751 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
Well I disconnected the plug like was suggested that did nothing so I disconnected the battery and left it sit for awhile, reconnected the power and the lights off? I haven't driven it yet to see if it comes back on or not like last time but I'll find out in couple days when I take it to get the 3RZ approved and registered.

speedstar751 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
So I drove my truck today and once I got to a bit of speed up the brake light came back on and never went out so I'm assuming I've wired something to somewhere I shouldn't have when doing the conversion.

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
sounds like maybe an ABS sensor.... but you most likely right something to do with the conversion..... in that case im out of ideas lol
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

speedstar751 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
Well i have eventually worked out what my mystery brake warning light was, turns out I ran the engine check light from ECU to my brake warning light in the dash as the 22R dash doesn't have an engine check light. After more research I haven't connected my speed sensor wire out of ECU so when i get speed up it throws the warning light on.