• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
exaust
« on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
I do a lot of freeway driving and i'm really trying more for gas milage but sound is allways a plus.
I'm looking to upgrade my exsaust. 2in, 2.25in, 2.5in? I live in Calif. Header: LC, other?
85 pu 22re; auto, but will be manual soon.
Ideas?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: exaust
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2007, 09:22:34 PM »
do a tuneup, just general stuff.... after that, i would only go 2.25 on the ehuast, will wnat a higher flow cat, and a new muffler, i like my flowmaster 40 or a magnaflow

intake should be dealt with too.. however its a little bit hard due to the way things are on the 22re
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »
hey, jimbo
keeping truck. Now doing some tinkering. So 2.25 sound good.

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2007, 12:36:19 PM »
anyone have opinions on the header? LC, Headman, etc.?

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »
no magna flows on toyotas unless you like the sound of rice rockets. and header lc's are your best bet from my experiance. have had many different ones on multiple toys and lcs have lasted the longest with out cracking to :pokinit:. and nwor are way to pricy and the wait is crazy. thorly and downey would be your next best bet if lc's are to pricy.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »
i love my flowmaster on both my toyotas
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »
will Thorly, Downey or LC affect my emissions?

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:27:11 AM »
nope, unless you dont get the CA smog model. 

high lakes wheeler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling The Crick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »
go to performance parts for all kinds of stuff, like headers. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/  :shhh: :driving:
Not jump'n the crick! Crawl'n it!

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »
no magna flows on toyotas unless you like the sound of rice rockets.

my magnaflow definately did not sound like a rice rocket... you could tell it wasnt a v8 but it did not sound like a honda or any of the rice rockets, it was louder and deeper

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2007, 10:44:10 PM »
any one ever use Pacesetter.

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:20:47 PM »

my magnaflow definately did not sound like a rice rocket... you could tell it wasnt a v8 but it did not sound like a honda or any of the rice rockets, it was louder and deeper
did you have a cat on it. every combo that i came up with a magna flow was to ricy for my liking and ended up swithching to flowmasters.

i have cracked pacesetters, to thin if you dive in bad rain or snow the constant heating and cooling will crack them.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:24:34 PM »
i do run a cat, catco brand

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 03, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »
any one ever use Pacesetter.

:nope:  junk, don't waste your money.  You'd be better off getting one of the aforementioned quality headers so you won't be buying a new one again soon. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:05:08 PM »
I have an unkown 4 into 1 header that sounded great with a glasspack, but I also had no cat.  I have a nwor tri-y header that will go on one of my trucks and be followed by an 18" magnaflow, the big bodied muffler.  I'm hoping for a nice, rich tone without being too loud but won't know until it's installed. 

I've had a downey header and was impressed with the quality, I'd definately buy one if it were most convenient, but if they all cost the same I'd go with LC engineering. 

Problems I've heard of with magnaflow were related to being used on crawlers, the bodies aren't as strong as some of the flowmaster, but I just plain don't like flowmaster.  I hate the fact that if anybody, kids and girls especially, hear your exhaust they always assume you have flowmasters.  My old roommates daughter heard my truck and said I must have flowmasters.  I explained I had glasspacks, she asks what they are and still replies that I have flowmasters :shake:  Ignorance is bliss I guess!

If you want good all around performance then I agree with going 2.25", but if you were looking for power I'd strongly suggest going bigger.  My truck ran best with 2.5" all the way back and actually lost low end grunt and throttle response when I necked it down to 2.25".  If I were to run a turbo I'd go 2.75-3" and let it breath!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 03, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »
What about back-pressure? I always was told that u need a little back-pressue, especially turbos. My cousin has a Audi S4 making 500hp, so I take his info on turbos serious and he said that turbos like some back-pressure, or at least the Audi's do.
But I think 2.25 would do well for me.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:10:12 PM »
Well, from what I've been told by somebody who ACTUALLY knows a lot about engines, setup and what they like you don't really need to worry about back-pressure on an r series.  I'm pretty sure that's how he put it :headscratch:

Like I said, I actually LOST low end grunt and throttle response when necking down from 2.5" to 2.25".  The only change I made was necking it down.  Prior to that change I could be idling up an incline, stab it and it'd pick right up.  After the change it would not want to rev up so easily anymore.   :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:19:22 PM »
ok, cool. thats what i want to hear. actual tests. now i'm thinking 2.5 again.

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:24:45 PM »
i was thinking, would a cat back of 2.5 do anything? Just thinking i could spread out the cost.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 04, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Maybe a little.  It's not nearly as beneficial to open up one end of the exhaust and leave the other end corked up, but there's no reason not to do it in steps as you can afford.
RIP KYOTA

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 04, 2007, 01:06:20 PM »
thanks for all the info. I think i'll do a cat back right now and the header later.
so what glasspack did you use? any recommendations on cats?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 04, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »
i have a catco brand cat... works well, its a replacement aftermarket cat, that i have heard is a little freer flowing than the stocker

i wouldnt run a glasspack on it unless you want it to sound like a civic... but thats just me......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2007, 07:17:53 PM »
you and Nate have differing opinions.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 04, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
Mine sounds nothing like a civic :nope:  It had a low rumble at idle, decent tone low-mid and sounded kinda like a race car at higher rpm.  I just went with the kragen glasspacks, but I'd recommend going with a name brand.  As for cats I've heard you can get a magnaflow on ebay for pretty cheap.
RIP KYOTA

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #24 on: Jul 05, 2007, 07:43:49 AM »
I'd stick with the 2.25" pipe.  You have to remember, these engines aren't very big in terms of displacement.  Also, they make a whopping 112 hp from the factory (22RE).  2.5" is overkill.  Bigger isn't always better for exhaust systems.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 05, 2007, 08:19:20 AM »
X2 Everthing I ever heard or read said to go with 2.25, header, free flow cat and muffler.

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 05, 2007, 08:59:41 AM »
i will never do any thing less than 2.5 on any of my toys. 2.25 is good for the street and mpgs or if you are going to run a short exaust ussally ending right behind the cab. but 2.5 for better sound and power. you cant run a 2.5 straight pipe other wise you will lose power. with 2.5 you have to run it all the wat to the back with some bends to make some back pressure.
yotas 4 life homie!

Twisted Minis

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 06, 2007, 02:19:25 PM »
I run a Thorley 4-2-1 header, with 2 1/4" exhaust, Magnaflow high flow cat (not much to it, but its legal) and a Magnaflow muffler. I think it sounds good, and its not a fart can ricer sound.

I'm uploading a clip where you can hear it.
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Twisted Minis

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,022
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins