Author Topic: 22re running crappy  (Read 1761 times)

auckman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
22re running crappy
« on: Jun 18, 2007, 09:01:48 PM »
I have my tps adjusted, and my throttle screw all the way in, i have no codes on the diagnose and my truck is still running no power (1,500 on complete bore/valve rebuild)  and it misses a lot, I cant get the timing set because the computer wont retard the engine when i jump the two terminals.    Does anyone know anything about the mass air flow and if that could be the problem without tripping a code???  I am out of places to check, i know my timing isn't to far out, but i dont know for sure.  what else would cause my computer to not retard the engine to check timing??????           PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!!
giggity

highridin4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 237
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: 22re running crappy
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »
I have had trouble with the computer not retarding the engine when my idle is to high. besides that I dont know what else it could be maybe fuel filter, pressure regulator, pump, ignition module.

Scott

auckman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2007, 09:48:05 PM »
yeah, i dont understand that with my idle screw all the way in, why it still idles at 1100 rpm.  also, it seems to me like its running rich??? any ideas
giggity

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2007, 11:13:38 PM »
Well first of all, make sure that when the crank is sitting at 5 degrees, the rotor on the distributor is pointing toward the  terminal for the #1 spark plug wire.  If it's not, your lucky it's even running.   Also, check for a vacuum leak, that will cause it to idle high all the time.  Spray some brake cleaner or something flamable around the intake and vacuum hoses and if the idle changes when you spray a certain spot, that's where the leak is.  Oh, and make sure there isn't any bubles in the coolant system.  If a coolant sensor is measuring the temp of an air bubble in the system, the idle will be high because it will register colder than the coolant.  To rid your cooling system of bubbles, park your truck on an incline with the front end higher than the back.  Pull off the radiator cap and let the truck idle with the heater on full blast.  Keep adding water to the radiator untill it is full and the air comming out of the a/c registers is hot - the temp gauge should be half way up.

A mass air flow sensor that is off a few teath will cause it to go lean or rich,  but won't make the idle go that high and would give a code 25 or 24.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

mcg_916

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2007, 05:01:51 PM »
i had the exact same problem and im almost possitive its ur timing. i timed my engine without jumping the terminals and i was certain it was dead on but i had absolutely no power, tried everything; tsp, fuel filter, plugs, rotor, cap, wires and still no power, i finally decided to time it again and i DID jump the termials and saw that my timing was WAY off, anyway i adjusted it it and now my truck runs like a beast

mcg_916

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2007, 05:04:27 PM »
oh btw, my engine still skips, rarely but it skips none-the-less, anyway if you sovle that one fill me in  :headscratch: