Author Topic: 22RE - FI. Running too lean?  (Read 3432 times)

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
22RE - FI. Running too lean?
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:02:16 PM »
I got my Thorley header put on today and it runs great.  (speedo cable catching fire (!) aside - whole other mess I gotta fix tomorrow. Not my fault, either.).  But...  The pipes are a bit blueish.  It's obviously running too lean.  So how do I make it run richer given that it has FI?  Or is it normal for these pipes to get like this when you first run them?(its got about 50 miles on it since it was all put together)

Oh - the timing is good, the plugs were replaced a few months ago(checked them - look fine) - has plenty of power... just seems to be running on the lean side now...(course it has loads less restriction - the previous exhaust was 1 3/4 and a half plugged cat)  Fuel filter looks clean as well.  I can't find anything wrong with the engine - it just seems to run lean with the new header?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: 22RE - FI. Running too lean?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »
my header went bluish too. ran fine so?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:14:58 PM »
It is normal for headers to run "hotter" than the stock manifolds, because of the thinner tubing in them. The stock manifolds get hot on the inside, but it takes longer for the heat to travel thru the walls to get to the outside, so more of the heat goes farther back in the exhaust. The headers allow more heat transfer in the engine compartment. This also allows the headers to cool off faster than manifolds, after the engine is shut off.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Plekto [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:08:13 AM »
K - thought so.  Guy at the shop said that was the chrome slowly cooking itself off.  Runs fine now other than it wanting to die at idle now that it has back-pressure.  Feels like my EGR is plugged again or I have a vacuum leak.  Fun fun fun this weekend... heh.(God I hate smog...)

Before: no power until 2K rpm and nothing beyond 3K(holes and tiny pipe with clogged rusty cat, respectively).  Now it pulls all the way up to 4500rpm and I actually *passed* someone yesterday in 5th gear. 

So Thorley header and straight-through muffler with 2.25 inch pipe - 200% recommended.