Author Topic: GAS STRIKE MAY 15th!!!!!!  (Read 13993 times)

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
GAS STRIKE MAY 15th!!!!!!
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
What do you guys and gals think about this? I don't have a problem with filling up on the 14th  :dunno:

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
Re: GAS STRIKE MAY 15th!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »
It's going to make no difference to oil companies, if everyone rode a bike for a month that might make a difference

Fearofrunner [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:57:34 PM »
yeah but what could it hurt? if enough people do it, might make a difference.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »
Another ghey gas strike...

Wanna make a difference?
Write you Senator or Congressman and tell them you want them to vote to allow the use of the US's own natural resources including those in Alaska and off the coast to drive down the percentage of energy resources we import from OPEC countries.

IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »
People are still going to buy gas they just might buy a day early or the day after.

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:03:52 PM »
Sorry, but the only way to put a hurting on the oil companies would be to stop needing oil.

It is in high demand and it is a sellers market. If we stopped needing it there would be too much and they could not get rid of it. That would make it a buyers market and the price would drop because they would be fighting to sell it off.

That doesn't mean go out and buy an electric car, you still need oil to produce electricity unless you get it from hydro, nuke, wind or solar.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:05:13 PM »
Another ghey gas strike...

Wanna make a difference?
Write you Senator or Congressman and tell them you want them to vote to allow the use of the US's own natural resources including those in Alaska and off the coast to drive down the percentage of energy resources we import from OPEC countries.

:werd:

"Striking" isn't going to change the minds of OPEC or the speculators paying over $61 a barrel. We've got enough oil under our control to last 'til the 2nd coming...we just have to grow a pair and stand up to "Big Environmentalism". Not only would it be good for the US, it would be bad for the bad guys... we wouldn't be financing terrorists or their supporters if we weren't giving them our $$$$.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »
it isnt going to make a difference.... now if we all decided we werent going to buy gas for a month, then it would make a difference.... 1 day means nothing.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »
Sorry, but the only way to put a hurting on the oil companies would be to stop needing oil.

It is in high demand and it is a sellers market. If we stopped needing it there would be too much and they could not get rid of it. That would make it a buyers market and the price would drop because they would be fighting to sell it off.

That doesn't mean go out and buy an electric car, you still need oil to produce electricity unless you get it from hydro, nuke, wind or solar.

I don't know how much electricity is generated from crude, but shifting electrical production to nukes from coal would free up an awful lot of coal that could be converted to oil further reducing our dependence on OPEC oil.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 02:18:19 PM »
it isnt going to make a difference.... now if we all decided we werent going to buy gas for a month, then it would make a difference.... 1 day means nothing.....

1 month, hah, that might hurt you, but doubt it will them. You just going to just sit adound and twittile your thumbs for a month? It is like quitting smoking, people will sneak around and buy gas and lie about it.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
How about picking one major company and  not buying from them,  they would have to do something, then pick another company and boycott them.  Gas companies can whine about how much it cost them a barrell but they are still setting new record profits.  In billings where I am from we pay more than most of the midwest yet we have 3 of the big oil compaies with their refineries right in town.  One day one of the oil execs got on a local talk show to justify their profits to try to calm down the locals the guy made an ass of himself and did nothing but reafirm that people were just getting screwed!!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »
I agree,gas strikes are about the stupidest thing I've heard of.It's common sence man,yeah no one is gonna buy gas that day big deal they're not gonna make as much money that day but they're gonna make up the difference the night before and the day after when everyone goes and fills up.It IS what it IS man,EVERYONE needs gas,regardless.I don't even look at gas prices anymore,I just gas up.I'm spending about $80 mon-fri.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
 This is off-topic but I think I need my eyes checked, I thought the thread said GAY STRIKE MAY 15TH!!!! :smack:   I need a beer!!!
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »
even if everyone did notpump gass on one day they would lose a lot of money, but that is just one day out of a year, but screw it i wont buy gass that day
4THEWKN

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 02:26:21 PM »
This is off-topic but I think I need my eyes checked, I thought the thread said GAY STRIKE MAY 15TH!!!! :smack:   I need a beer!!!

no you need to get to a :boobs: bar
4THEWKN

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »
  I thought the thread said GAY STRIKE MAY 15TH!!!! :smack:   I need a beer!!!

What? Is there going to be no more decorating shows while they're on strike! What will HGTV do?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »
We could all drive Mammoth's and get our fuel from fast food joints. Hell they might even throw in a burger or two for helping them out. :thumbs:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »
We could all drive Mammoth's and get our fuel from fast food joints. Hell they might even throw in a burger or two for helping them out. :thumbs:

No...we have to watch our transfats!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »
i think biodiesels are cool, i saw a segment on the powerblock last weekend that said all new diesels will accept biodiesel fuel.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »
i think biodiesels are cool, i saw a segment on the powerblock last weekend that said all new diesels will accept biodiesel fuel.....

They all will, but there is the matter of the correct type of hoses and it must be refined. The older ones will run on any oil so long as you can get it to flow.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »
if everyone rode a bike for a month that might make a difference

:gap:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
How about picking one major company and  not buying from them,  they would have to do something, then pick another company and boycott them.  Gas companies can whine about how much it cost them a barrell but they are still setting new record profits.  In billings where I am from we pay more than most of the midwest yet we have 3 of the big oil compaies with their refineries right in town.  One day one of the oil execs got on a local talk show to justify their profits to try to calm down the locals the guy made an ass of himself and did nothing but reafirm that people were just getting screwed!!

:dunno:  wouldn't do any good.  It seems like a good idea on paper, but if we all boycotted shell for example, they'd just sell their gas to chevron.  As mentioned, it is just a seller's market, and if they couldn't sell it to us, they'll sell it to another oil company.  Another oil company would be glad to buy from them, because then it means they are buying already refined fuel, so they would wind up getting more profit out of the little man putting his card in the pump.

A one day gas strike is just stupid.  People will still drive, so they'll make sure they fill up before the strike, or they'll just go fill up the next day.  Until people actually sack up and are willing to suffer a little to get the point across, any short term thing that the populace does is a waste of time.  You want to hurt the oil companies? we should all boycott cars.  If the majority of the population switched to public transportation, rode bikes, or even *gasp* carpooled to work, the oil companies would have an excess of fuel that isn't moving, and they would be forced to lower their cost.  This wouldn't happen over a day, or even weeks, but over the course of several months, they would certainly be affected.  Unfortunately we all like to pregnant dog and moan, but face it, most of us are just gonna keep paying the increasing prices. 

:rant:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
They all will, but there is the matter of the correct type of hoses and it must be refined. The older ones will run on any oil so long as you can get it to flow.

On a similar note guess what I saw at haaber freight the other day right next to the rubber o-ring kits?  Yup, viton seals/o-rings!  True, bio will eat your old rubber seals, so I'm guessing they just anticipated a possible change in fuel markets and just switched to viton stuff at the factory now :dunno: 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »
:blah:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 03:17:20 PM »
I've done 2 things that have drastically dropped my gas consumption.

1: stopped driving so much and consolidated my trips to town

2: started riding the motorbike more.

I was filling the tank in the truck between once a week and 3 times every 2 weeks.  I'm now filling the truck about once every two weeks and the bike usually makes it a week or more on one 4 gallon tank :thumbs:  This really only works out in your favor if you ALREADY own a bike, buying one just for good mileage will potentially take a long time to break even and start actually saving.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 08:32:46 PM »
since i live in Texas oil country i'll chime in.
a 1 day boycott wont do anything because will will either buy their fuel a day earlier or a day later and the oil companies will get there money nomatter what.

if you boycott for a few months and big oil starts losing some money what happens? little oil companies go out of business because they have nobody to sell their oil to anymore and the vast majority of the little oil companies are only in 1 section. either drilling or refining, not both. some little companies would survive because they would join a drilling/refining partnership between companies but would not be able to keep up with the prices that the big oil companies would be able to drop to, thus driving the remaining little guys outta business.

if we were allowed to drill into our natural resources we would increase our supply, thus reducing our dependance on foreign oil and lowering our prices. the eco nazi's assume that when their is oil being drilled that it makes a huge mess like it did way back in the day (oil shooting out of the derricks and things like that). in actuality, the drilling sites are very, very clean nowadays and the oil companies that are in charge of drilling (here in the US) are extremely conscious about their impact on the environment, and do everything they can to keep it clean.

with biodiesel, ALL, repeat ALL diesel engines run on it perfectly without any modifications with the exception of the fuel lines of 1994 and older diesels. biodiesel has more of a gelling problem in cold temps than petroleum diesel but that just requires an additive and its taken care of (in extreme cold a heated fuel tank is an excellent idea). when i had a diesel truck i made my own biodiesel, got my veggy oil from long john silvers. cost me an average of about 55 cents a gallon to make. downside? every time i was stopped for long enough i would get to smell my exhaust, which smelt like long john silvers. better for the engine, helps US farmers, and reduces all emissions by a large amount except for NOx increases SLIGHTLY. but if you retard the timing a few degrees NOx reduces as well. they have found a way to produce biodiesel from a genetically enhanced form of algae that they have growing at a phenominal rate, and produces 98% excess oil that is then used to make the biodiesel. with its current rate of growth/oil production, they would need roughly 150,000 acres to produce enough biodiesel for the ENTIRE US to drive a diesel vehicle. but, its still being tested. there is also thermodepolymerization. long word eh? basicly its breaking down trash through heat/pressure, thus producing water, a form of diesel thats sulfur free, and a salt. thats being tested up in oregon by a chicken slaughter house.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

91 super yoda

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -56
  • Male Posts: 400
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Axe' em Jacks
    • View Profile
    • Old Town Customs
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 09:00:50 PM »
man thats a lot to chew but basically he is right. a one day strike wont effect much, it will be a blip on their radar. what we have to do is not depend on it as much like consolidate trips, carpool, walk, ride a bike, etc. we have to alter the demand of the product which will in turn alter the supply which will make prices fall.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 09:13:30 PM »
I started the strike 4 months ago when I moved from 65 mile one way to work to 6 miles round trip. I'm going to start riding my bike to work  :thumbs:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »

if we were allowed to drill into our natural resources we would increase our supply, thus reducing our dependance on foreign oil and lowering our prices. the eco nazi's assume that when their is oil being drilled that it makes a huge mess like it did way back in the day (oil shooting out of the derricks and things like that). in actuality, the drilling sites are very, very clean nowadays and the oil companies that are in charge of drilling (here in the US) are extremely conscious about their impact on the environment, and do everything they can to keep it clean.

I would just like to back Red up on this. My entire job is keeping the oil on an offshore production platform in the Vessels/pipeline and out of the gulf. We have weekly inspections on all level/pressure sensors. Every hour we make rounds to check for any oil that might have started to seep from anything, and inspectors from the government that that can show up damn near anytime they want and start writing fines when safety equipment is faulty, even when no pollution has occurred, big enough to make bill gates wince (just guessing here) some fines 100K per day going back to the last inspection where it can be proved that the device was working properly. I have heard of platforms getting fined into the millions for shut down valves that closed a second too slow, or a paperwork errors.

The oilfield is not the same as it was in my dads generation, probably not like it was even 10 years ago really.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:17:51 PM by BikerTrash »
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
If only it were as simple as not buying gasoline for a day. Trying to get enough people to make enough difference for the right amount of time would be like asking people to stop having sex for X amount of time to lower the price of condoms. Good luck.

Its a shame the government can't get off it's high horse and admit it has been wrong for the better part of a century. The entire country could benefit from an amazing, renewable resource (that doesnt require turning food into fuel) that has more uses than just about anything........

Cannabis! :smoke:

Hemp has a multitude of uses and it grows at a relativly rapid rate compared to other biodiesel sources. Its a damn shame this incredible resource has yet to be "accepted" because we could really use it's help.

Anyway, what do I do to try and limit my gas use? I make the girlfriend drive me around.  ;) Well, that and I drive my Accord as much as I can. Though I've been getting tempted by motorcycles...kind of want to sell the accord and buy a bike. I live in a small town though and even driving my 4runner around isnt too hard on the wallet. I used to ride my mountain bike to school/work but the 4 miles up the mountain aren't quite the cake walk like the 4 miles TO town. Not to mention all those elderly drivers I had to "share" the road with.... :shake_head:  :maddest:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting