Author Topic: What kind of Car Guy are you??  (Read 10737 times)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
What kind of Car Guy are you??
« on: Apr 04, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »
I am just wondering how much 10W-30 you guys have running through your blood? Do you get excited by big blocks, straight pipes, burn outs and gross excess in all categories, or are you more of a non-traditional car guy that hates all things macho and excessive?

I am guessing that since this is a Toyota site and most people I know that drive these vehicles are haters when it comes to big motors, big power and bad reliability, most are non-traditional as I am calling it. I picture most Toyota owners as more economical and sensible. Probably less enthusiastic about brute power and the sensation of loud American muscle as well. I would imagine this isn't exactly the NHRA crowd that most traditional "car guys" are a part of. So I am curious as to how die hard "car guy" you are?

I will kick it off and say I am a pretty hardcore old school kind of car guy. I love all things automotive and generally modify and modify my vehicles until they come to be pretty much useless for everyday transportation. The louder the better as far as exhaust goes and there is nothing better than a huge smokey V8 powered burnout. I love big american muscle motors, and showing off. I watch all types of motorsports from drag racing to CORR to Nascar.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of Car Guy are you??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »
:yesnod:  definitely a American car guy here :yupyup:  I love my toy, but there is just something about the rumble of a big block :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »
I have an appreciation for anything that is not stock.My MAIN hobby is wheelin',so anything from a dented up 4 cylinder Toyota crawler to a lifted ass Superduty makes me  :drooling:  .However though,I like looking @ Low Riders,Rat Rods and anything someone has taken the time with to make out of the ordinary...  :smack: sorry,I know that doesen't make any sence.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
I have an appreciation for anything that is not stock.My MAIN hobby is wheelin',so anything from a dented up 4 cylinder Toyota crawler to a lifted ass Superduty makes me  :drooling:  .However though,I like looking @ Low Riders,Rat Rods and anything someone has taken the time with to make out of the ordinary...  :smack: sorry,I know that doesen't make any sence.

:dunno:  makes sense to me.  I got  a Truckin'  magazine subscription as a gift from some family friends (know I'm interested in trucks, didn't realize what kind)  but I do enjoy reading it.  Its really cool to see what some people come up with.  I'll never own a slammed truck, but the creativity behind some of them is awesome.  I guess its a respect for the "art" or craft of it? :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2007, 04:53:08 PM »
I guess you could call me a conservative. I enjoy long drives down the blossom trails in my Toyota Echo, or if I am feeling a little daring, I enjoy the breeze in my hair from the air conditioning system of my Buick LeSabre as I trek the coast lines of the pacific. I have recently become much more of a car nut :) since William from Greenpeace got me an invite to the Annual Sierra Club Banquet last November. I have to say, those people are the best and I know where I'll be donating my tax return this year!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2007, 05:35:19 PM »
I guess you could call me a conservative. I enjoy long drives down the blossom trails in my Toyota Echo, or if I am feeling a little daring, I enjoy the breeze in my hair from the air conditioning system of my Buick LeSabre as I trek the coast lines of the pacific. I have recently become much more of a car nut :) since William from Greenpeace got me an invite to the Annual Sierra Club Banquet last November. I have to say, those people are the best and I know where I'll be donating my tax return this year!

:rofl2:  I am dyin' here! Oh ... wait... no, that's right.. I'm diane here. Well technically I'm MrsWillyMammoth HERE but HERE I'm Diane. Not HERE on the Marlin board but HERE in casselberry... you know... where I'm sitting now...... um.. OK.. carrion.... :disturbed:

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2007, 05:36:36 PM »
:yesnod:  definitely a American car guy here :yupyup:  I love my toy, but there is just something about the rumble of a big block :gap:

:imwithstupid:

I love the old muscle cars, but do NOT bastardize them with low profile tires... it's got to be old school.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »
I love a v8 rumble and some old heavy iron. I like any car that can pull a front tire off the ground or smoke the tires. I am partial to trucks mostly and any 60 to early 80s chevy just makes me smile one of those "floor it" kinda smiles.
I prefer the modded vehicles. Anything that has some good old fashioned blood sweat and black boogers invested in it makes me happy.
There is no feeling like any other than being able to say "yea I built it".
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2007, 07:27:37 PM »

DANG IT! as I was reading the topic I was going to respond like this, until I scroled down a bit and found this! DANG YOU BIG MIKE! :willynilly:  just kinda takes the fun outa making fun of this now.

so...

next to my yota I like my 69 cuda. :burnout:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »
I love a v8 rumble and some old heavy iron. I like any car that can pull a front tire off the ground or smoke the tires. I am partial to trucks mostly and any 60 to early 80s chevy just makes me smile one of those "floor it" kinda smiles.
I prefer the modded vehicles. Anything that has some good old fashioned blood sweat and black boogers invested in it makes me happy.
There is no feeling like any other than being able to say "yea I built it".

Right on. I like anything that is out of the ordinary like Infernal said.

I was hoping somebody would argue the merits of Toyota versus American V8s or gas mileage vs. horsepower.

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2007, 09:42:01 PM »
 :wave:
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007, 10:15:03 PM by NT-OUTBACK »

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2007, 10:16:26 PM »
I love everything that has a motor. If you can race it, jump it, wreck it, crawl it, or cruze it thats the kind of car guy I am.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »
wow..ok, anything not stock gets me going. Nuff said.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2007, 10:53:46 PM »
Ok, you got me going now!  First and foremost, I bleed bowtie!  I'm with Diane, old school muscle is where it's at!  Nothing like a finely tuned small/big block Chevy that is tight, you can hear the monster 4 barrel just sucking air, and has that bumpity, bumpity sound to the exhaust.  And the sound of the pipes when your on it!  I love the old 49 to 51 chevy step sides, the old 63 impala's, early SS/RS Camaro's (Yenko, and other COPO cars), Malibu/Chevelle series, especially the El Camino's 59-72 78-87 years, and my neighbors 67 Pontiac GTO with the tri-pack.  If I was rich I would own a "hot rod", but with today's gas prices that is not reality anymore!  There are so many killer classic muscle, but my love is Chevy!  So, now my addiction is Toyota 4x4's!  The second generation is my favorite!     

I've always wanted to ask this ?   So, if you put the running gear of a chevy in a ford, is it still a ford or is it a chevy?   :dunno:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2007, 10:59:34 PM »

I've always wanted to ask this ?   So, if you put the running gear of a chevy in a ford, is it still a ford or is it a chevy?   :dunno:

So what about chevy in a Toy?
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2007, 12:38:12 PM »
In my heart I'm a German car guy, I always loved the looks and performance of the 911. The only reason I bought a Toyota 4x4 truck was to get country girls who know better  :eyebrow:

Real country girls don't like the Japanese too much. You would be better off with a country vehicle, like a tractor or team of goats.

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »
So what about chevy in a Toy?

I would call that a good start.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2007, 02:55:04 PM »
I'm all about the new age 4 banger technology.  The new stuff that Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Mitsubishi blow the old "theres no replacement for displacement" theory out of the water.  When your getting over a hundred horse per liter with a naturally aspirated engine that's beauty to me.  Big trucks are cool looking but I'll pass when it comes to 10" blocks and quad shocks, i don't mind going slow in my 23 year old yota and getting good gas milage.  Just means more money for beer, parts and good times with my buddies.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »
Hmmm, like a fine wine I am a sophisticated and complex mixture of ingredients, aromas and textures.  :biggthumpup:

I grew up in the original muscle car era and have a place in my heart for big cube, huge horse power, asphalt shredding, make liberals pee themselves cars.
My heart and mind are into higher tech, smaller displacement, finesse cars. I’ve always loved Ferrari, Maserati, etc.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:08:04 PM »
Hmmm, like a fine wine I am a sophisticated and complex mixture of ingredients, aromas and textures.  :biggthumpup:

I grew up in the original muscle car era and have a place in my heart for big cube, huge horse power, asphalt shredding, make liberals pee themselves cars.
My heart and mind are into higher tech, smaller displacement, finesse cars. I’ve always loved Ferrari, Maserati, etc.

A yes cant forget about the true F1 breeds, now that is the best of both worlds...big high revving power plants.  Now that's a sound one's gotta love.

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:09:08 PM »
im preferably stoked on the Lexus IS300. that car is sick.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:10:32 PM »
I'm all about the new age 4 banger technology.  The new stuff that Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Mitsubishi blow the old "theres no replacement for displacement" theory out of the water.  When your getting over a hundred horse per liter with a naturally aspirated engine that's beauty to me.

Very true, the power they can get out of small motors is amazing. But Subaru doesn't get that power with N/A motors and the other motors still don't have any torque at a usable RPM. There is no replacement for displacement no matter how much power a motor can crank out a 6000 rpm. When Honda can make a motor that has a flat torque curve that matches horsepower I will be very impressed. There is nothing like punching the throttle when a motor is idling and having immeadiate response and burning rubber.

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:12:36 PM »
I like bigass 70's BOATS on like 14" wheels and lopros.  gangsta LOL

If you know me now... you never saw that coming  :yupyup:
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:22:45 PM »
i am a motorized type of guy.... pretty much anything with a motor..... you can modify just about anything... i dont like rice, but that isnt to say i dont like hondas or sport compacts, fast is fast, no matter what.... i dont like big ass wings and and exhuasts i can fit my fist into (well unless its a diesel) im not a chevy guy, but i dont hate chevies either..... i love fords, but will admit ford made a lot of garbage cars, i dont like any fords excpt the mustangs and the trucks really.... im cool with whatever make, as long as it isnt all bolt on parts or bling bling stuff.. sure a little bling bling is fine, but with ricers, there is no point in a foot tall wing with stock tires and a huge airdam with a giant exhuast and a cold air intake..... now if that car had a smaller wing, less body kit, the huge exhuast, the cai, a turbo and fuel and computer mods with internals like cams, sticky tires, that would be a different story....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »
not much of a car guy... probably why i drive a truck :yupyup:

buuuut, if i had to choose, possibly either vette, supra from hell, or anything thats got a butt load of power with rwd!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2007, 03:41:22 PM »
A yes cant forget about the true F1 breeds, now that is the best of both worlds...big high revving power plants.  Now that's a sound one's gotta love.

Yep...it's the sound. A V12, V10 or (now) V8 at 18k rpm, nonasecond shifts and oooo (nascarguys) turning right and left...and racing in the rain! The only thing that matches it is GP or Super Bike racing.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 05, 2007, 04:04:08 PM »
Love any year Camaro till 93. 70-73's are my fav. with the 3rd gen. coming in right behind those. I really miss my 84. :rivers: I do like anything that will go fast though I really don't care for the sport compacts. I don't hate them but I would never buy/build one.  There is no replacement for displacment!!!! :driving:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #28 on: Apr 05, 2007, 04:16:45 PM »
Only old car I would buy would be a 1969 Cadillac Coupe Convertible (white of course)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 05, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »
I guess I'm an import guy.....I've always had small cars....here is a pic of my first car.. a 75 Triumph Spitfire, 1500 CC engine..I pushed the thing more than I drove it but man it was cool... I could drive it under a semi truck no problem :shhh:

i should have known something was up when I bought the car it came with a custom made tow-bar lol
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco