Author Topic: NEED POINTERS AND HELP ON BODY WORK!!!!! - UPDATED (PICS)  (Read 2624 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
NEED POINTERS AND HELP ON BODY WORK!!!!! - UPDATED (PICS)
« on: Mar 19, 2007, 12:01:01 PM »
I wanna start filling in or popping out the dents and dings in my truck, but have never done body work before... can anyone giev me pointers as to where to start, what to use and what to look for??? My truck is extremely clean and i wanna start making it as straight as possible...

I have a general idea of what to do, as far as sanding, using bondo (or something thats better than), and primering... i just want ya'll to help me, thank's

military_stang
:respect:
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 12:16:11 PM by military_stang »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: NEED POINTERS AND HELP ON BODY WORK!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
if  its not  ate with rust   just remove  the aflicked part  and  tap the dent out with a hammer

got pics  of  where you need to straighten ??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
use a 6"x3" sanding block- always remove paint before applying bondo- never wetsand bondo- if you want to use rattle can primer use sandable filler primer-  here are a few pics of some body work I have done I have been doing bodywork since i was 15 Im now 23 and still not 100% perfect if it dosent turn out perfect just redo it till it is perfect sometimes a pregnant dog sometimes easy.   ps use a light weight body filler or original BONDO brand BONDO. good luck

rude86

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since Sep '05
  • if it aint broke you arnt trying hard enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
run while you still can body work sux.
member of team marlin crawler

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »
dents add character   :cheese: keep it like it is or better yet add some more  :beerwhack:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2007, 07:57:15 PM »
run while you still can body work sux.

X2!  Just walk away if you don't have incredible patience and a good eye for detail.  I lack both, yet I still keep trying to do my own bodywork. 

There's been some very good advice given.  Remember to be VERY patient with your body filler, making 1/8 inch passes until it's level rather than filling a deeper dent all at once.  This is more for the deeper dents you can't get behind to push/hammer out, but you really wanna get the surface as flat as possible before you even mix up your filler. 

Also make sure you give the filler ample time to fully dry before hitting it with primer, otherwise you'll for sure have cracks appear in your finish coat.  You should invest in a good filler like evercoat, and would be wise to go over that with a finer spot filler like dolphin glaze.  You'll have a tough time getting all the little pin holes filled, but get most before hitting it with sandable primer and the primer will help with the rest.  You'd be surprised how much the right color paint will hide :wink:

You may wanna find a reputable smaller body shop, make nice with them and see if they'll let you just sit back and quietly watch them work.  I learn a lot by hands on work, but it's always helpful if you can watch somebody who really knows what they're doing work a panel.  A guy I used to work with has been working to take over a small high end body shop for the last few years, and is already in the process of buying out the owner.  The owner is kind of a pompous jerk, but incredibly knowledgable and a great teacher to the right person.  I've seen countless projects he's worked on, including a gorgeous acura nsx that had been rolled, shortly after having fixed a roller ferrari.  Looked showroom perfect when it left his shop.  :psss:  shoulda seen the vw bug that was all corvette undercarriage.  Front and rear suspension, vette dash, etc.  Frickin neat!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »
I was in the process of doing body work on my 4Runner before I rolled it.  In fact I was planning on painting it a few days after I rolled it.  So long story short, 6 months later it is still in primer, some of which has been ground through to the original paint, and down to bare metal.  But assuming that you are not as stupid as me and you don't plan on doing body damage here is some advice.  If you are going to do the body work you migt as well do it right so you don't have rust coming through or bondo popping out in a few months.  If you are dealing with real rust, always cut it out and weld new stuff in.  For surface rust make sure that you get it down to bare, rust free metal.  For dents try to get as much of it out as you can by hand with a hammer and dolley.  Try to reserve bondo for small surface imperfections that are only as deep as 1/8 inch.  Anything over that you may be asking for trouble.  Purchase a DA sander and a good set of sanding blocks (like Durablock)  For materials don't skimp on quality.  Get good quality materials from primer to clear coat.  For primer you can use spray cans, it won't be horribly cost innefective, but it may be cheaper to just buy a gallon of descent primer.  If you will be painting over existing paint always use a primer sealer.  Remember that primer does not protect againt rust, so minimally you should rattle can over areas where you primed bare metal.  However, moisture can still get under the paint so try not to leave it like that for too long.  If at all possible take the truck off the road until you finish with everything.  Try to have it planned out so you have an idea of what you want to have done when.  For minor dent repair and priming anybody with patients could do it.  Painting, however is not for everybody.  It takes some amount of skill and an eye for detail.  The equipment can also be somewhat expensive.  Well, I hope this doesn't scare you off because doing bodywork isn't all that bad.  Keep us informed if you need any more help, I hope this project goes well for you.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2007, 09:18:03 PM »
It takes some amount of skill and an eye for detail.  The equipment can also be somewhat expensive. 

Both are very true statements.  Aside from the actual bodywork, paint can be a huge pita to do right.  I painted for the first time in atleast 7 years the other day.  Painted 3 1/2 of 4 panels on my work boat before I figured out how to paint with the shitty gun (kept spitting and sputtering).  Went back over the first panel a second time and got it better, still not great though.  Didn't help that I was painting white over white either :hammerhead:  It's no fun trying to fix somebody else's mistakes either!

Doing your own bodywork and paint isn't terribly cost effective either.  Just purchasing quality supplies and tools can easily push you over the cost of having a shop do it.  Bear in mind also, if you're planning on doing the bodywork and having a shop paint it, you need to ask the shops if they'll do that first.  A lot of shops will not shoot over somebody else's bodywork.  Any imperfections will reflect poorly on them.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2007, 05:12:20 AM »
Thank you all for your awesome advice, and i will be taking it all into consideration. This truck is my baby and i wanna see the body as straight as it came off the show room floor. The dents are not that deep at all, i just really didn't know where to start... sweet, thank you all again

military_stang

ToyotasRok

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »
How good of condition is your truck?  Like clear coat is still on there?  My truck is kinda faded but I did a bunch of body work and it came out looking great.  If its still super shiny then it can be a pain matching colors and getting every thing to look right.

I would first pound out your dents then sand area, then fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, clear coat, wet sand, then wax.  Its a lot of work and takes time to do it right.  For rust a good grinder and some phospheric acid does the trick.

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2007, 05:31:02 AM »
The clear coat is coming off on the hood and the roof, but other than that all of the metal is straight and there is not one major dent or ding on the whole truck....

military_stang

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2007, 12:06:18 AM »
If that's your truck in your avatar, you and I have the same color toys with the same problem :thumbs:  Pretty common for late 80s/early 90s toys :down:
RIP KYOTA

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2007, 05:58:40 AM »
Yup thats my toy, and i wanna get  it painted but i am afraid of ruining it by wheeling...

military_stang

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
This is some of the body dents i want to fix....

military_stang

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »
I know they are hard to see, but they are about the size of a quarter, maybe a little bigger... and about 1/4 to 3/8 deep.... I will be getting better pics when it gets alittle nicer outside...

military_stang

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
Yup thats my toy, and i wanna get  it painted but i am afraid of ruining it by wheeling...

military_stang

Face the inevitable, if you wheel your truck your going to get dents. Beware, after getting your first dent on the trail you'll forget about the dent and focus on how much fun your having. Their not dents their memory's of what not to do. Also you can add as much protection you want (sliders, bumpers, exocage) your still going to accumulate dents. HAPPY WHEELING :)
Starting from scratch again...

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
and see, this is the truth.. i guess it's just hard having such a good body and tearing it up... oh well, i guess i would always by a new one if i really wanted to.. but knowing me, as soon as i put the first big dent in her, i won't care about the other's....HA

military_stang