Poll

Should i keep my 91 toy 4x4, or get a 2001 Dodge Cummins????

Yes, keep the Yota
4 (14.8%)
NO, GO FOR THE CUMMINS
1 (3.7%)
Keep the Yota and get the Cummins
19 (70.4%)
SELL YOUR TOY TO ME!!!!
0 (0%)
Don't know....(don't care)
3 (11.1%)
Undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Kepep my Yoter or get a Cummins  (Read 3845 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Kepep my Yoter or get a Cummins
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:42:24 AM »
Please help me out with a HUGE decision.... i know it all come's down to me, but i still want ya'lls input on this.

I do a little bit of hauling here and there, too much for my 3.slow to handle. I have always wanted a Dodge Cummins and i have found the perfect one that i want.

Here is my problem. The 91 Toy that i have now is in almost perfect condition, there is no rust on the body, undercarrage, frame or anywhere to the naked eye.... the only rust that is on it is the front and rear bumper (surface rust). The interior is in almost perfect condition, the carpet the dash, everything is in excellent condition.... and oh ya, the truck has all the paper work and receipts from all the work that has been done to it since it was born.....YES, a lot to take in.

Why sell such a beautiful truck??? To get a Dodge cummins to accommodate the hauling and have more room.... But, i want to know what y'all think....PLEASE....

military_stang
:respect:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Kepep my Yoter or get a Cummins
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:50:44 AM »
keep the yota  for trails,  and get the dodge  so  when you get crazy  you can haul the yota  to the trails
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:11:22 AM »
X2

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »
If you sell the Toyota, that means you can't post in the Toyota section anymore... right??    :gap: :gap: :gap:

So for that reason alone..  Don't sell the Toyota!!!  :D

If you can swing it, get both.  If not, sounds as if you can get more use out of the Dodge.  If that's the case, I'd get the truck that is more useful for what you need.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:00:39 AM »
Thank you all so far who have answered, i know it's not your decision as to tell me what to do, but it does help to get an outsiders opinion on the matter. I know my wife doesn't like to yota because it's a stick, and likes the dodge because it's and auto..... although it doesn't matter if she like the yota or not (cause she doesn't drive it), it's still important to think of what is going to benefit the both of us in the future......

Again, thank you for you input and please keep it comming....

military_stang

GV27

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:46:25 AM »
Keep the Toy for when the Dodge inevitably breaks down!  ;)

What about an auto Tundra?

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »
Keep the Toy for when the Dodge inevitably breaks down!  ;)

What about an auto Tundra?

That dodge won't break down. Oh wait the VP44 injection pump and tranny.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2007, 12:12:09 PM »
I know dodge's are notorius for having tranny problems, but whats with the VP44 injection pump????

And why not get a Tundra, haven't really thought about it to tell you the truth...

military_stang

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2007, 12:32:18 PM »
The VP44 is the fuel pump. The problem is when they go out, sometimes there is a failure code & sometimes not. Unless you take it to someone that knows how to trouble shoot it {which since it is a popluar failure} you can spend some  :twocents:   Good luck with your decision. Just get whats going to serve your purpose.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2007, 12:46:24 PM »
The VP44 is the fuel pump. The problem is when they go out, sometimes there is a failure code & sometimes not. Unless you take it to someone that knows how to trouble shoot it {which since it is a popular failure} you can spend some  :twocents:   Good luck with your decision. Just get whats going to serve your purpose.

Oh trust me, i want both.... i just have a huge fear of losing money on either end. I want and need a diesel, but want a Cummins... i know, it get hard when your stubborn, but that can also burn me in the end...

military_stang

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2007, 12:50:15 PM »
The VP44 is the fuel pump. The problem is when they go out, sometimes there is a failure code & sometimes not. Unless you take it to someone that knows how to trouble shoot it {which since it is a popluar failure} you can spend some  :twocents:   Good luck with your decision. Just get whats going to serve your purpose.

The VP44 is the injection pump. It is like a carb for diesels. The lift pump is what you are thinking of. The lift pumps on these trucks are garbage and when they fail you do not know it. When the lift pump fails it kills the VP44 injection pump over time. When the injection pump fails you are done. A new VP44 is well over a 1000$ to replace. Look for the injection pump to fail around the same time as the automatic tranny :laugh:

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »
Don't forget about the "killer dowel pin" also. These trucks have a few weaknesses but are great trucks. If you found the perfect one buy it up and don't look back. For the most part these are very reliable trucks when taken care of and the weaknesses are addressed.

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
How much do you haul? Do you need a diesel or just more torque than you 3 liter's gonna give you? If the diesel isn't necessary for the weight you haul, then start looking into a tundra. If you get the dodge and hold onto the toyota then you're going to eventually run into the problems listed above with the dodge; that means more money. Get another toyota and don't look back.  :twocents:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »
To tell you the truth, it doesn't seem like i do a lot of hauling now, but i actually do.... everytime i go to the dunes i haul at least a 20' trailer with bike's and 4wheeler's, and it's a whole lot more that the ole yoter can take. Plus i plan on hauling my 1967 Mustang back from Washington State when i get a bigger truck.

The other reason why i am looking at getting the Dodge is because when i get out of the military, i plan on going to work for my brother in law doing masonry work... so it would be nice to have a good work truck....

Oh, and one question; can tundra's haul as much, and how much gas mileage are we talking??? (not that it matter's much)

military_stang

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:32:26 PM »
I looked up a 2000 Tundra... it can tow 7100 pounds. From what I understand, they're fairly quick for a "full size" truck and will get better gas milage then a similarly equiped domestic. They're small for a full size, no doubt about it, but if you weigh in under its towing capacity then its something to seriously consider.
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2007, 05:34:51 PM »
I thought you were thinking about putting a Cummins in your Yota. Just remmember the 4BT is 800 lbs plus the trans & Tcaseyou will have to use to keep from breaking a Yota trans & T case.

BTW get a 7.3 Power Stroke  and for get the Dodge.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2007, 05:43:07 PM »
The 7.3 has its shortcomings too, but they are cheaper and easier to fix for the most part. The Cam Position sensor as well as other sensors on the vehicle are common points of failure. If you can avoid 4 wheel drive in these trucks do it since the front end components on the front axle are grossly under designed and wear out quickly. The ford super duty trucks and dodges are brutes for the most part, you will be able to haul anything you can dream of. The 7.3 is very easy to mod with aftermarket chips and homemade air intakes. But so is the 24valve. If I were you I would buy a 12valve Cummins truck. The 12 valve is the best diesel ever put in a light truck.

phi564

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawlin in KY
    • View Profile
    • high clearance offroad
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:24:41 AM »
7.3's are cheaper and easier to fix?  i'm not so sure about that one.  you can chage the injectors on an vp 24 valve dodge in 2 hours max.  you can't even get to the injectors on a 7.3L in two hours.  24 valve injectors are less expensive also.  there is plenty of aftermarket for both.  if you want a truck to haul with get a cummins, i dont care if its a 12v or a 24v both are strong.  like stated before you'll want to keep an eye on your tranny, if your torque converter starts sliping get a triple disc converter and a valve body in there and you'll be ready to go.  also you can put an inline helper pump in so if your lift pump goes out you won't burn up your vp44.

do yourself a vavor and buy the cummins.
01 Dodge 2500 Cummins dd/ tow rig
'90 toyota w/ 4.3 on propane/th350/toy duels
fj80 axles, 39" BFG krawlers, psc full hydro, 4.10's, detroit front, welderd rear

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:06:10 AM »
I'm not referring to injectors, I am referring to the above mentioned common failures, "the 7.3L has its SHORTCOMINGS, but THEY are cheaper and easier to fix for the most part. Hmmm.... Cam sensor 75$, and 10 minutes versus Injection pump, Dowel pin failure, tranny etc. As far as injectors go, you can just run additive and good fuel and they will last for a very long time. If the injectors do fail, it just gives you an excuse to swap in bigger ones.

Redeyejedi

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2007, 02:35:42 PM »
keep tha yota & get another......i dont think you'll regret the puchase of a tundra.
alcohol.....the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78234902@N06/

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:56:59 PM »
I have a cummins and love it I will say I dont like the build of the truck though. Find a manual trans dodge more reliable. Dont plan on going off road with the dodge as I have found they are worthless offroad and sink quick.

Good luck
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »
Dont plan on going off road with the dodge as I have found they are worthless offroad and sink quick.

Fords sink too. I don't think heavy Diesels with long wheelbases are fit for anything but basic off road travel. I will say that my Ford does well in snow. Most likely since there is so much weight on the front tires.

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:26:36 PM »
I think we live in a time when everything has a flaw. I personally have an old toy which I love and a dodge diesel which I enjoy as well. Ask me to pick one, over the other, Toy is as states its a toy, good for one thing trails. If you are on the road alot the dodge would be my choice hands down, Millage  (My) Toy gets on a good week 200 to 16 Gallons of gas. Dodge will go on average 500 miles to 32 gallons of fuel. Then of course there is bio diesel brew your own fuel.
I have never had a problem with the fuel injection either 170000 miles zero work on motor.
Well do you homework

2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

ctdellerman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:21:04 PM »
I also own a Toy and a Cummins Dodge.  If I was you I would sell the Toy and buy a Dodge.  My Dodge is a six speed so I would say stay away from the auto.  If you do get a Dodge with a manual trans all you need is a pyrometer and a chip called the Edge EZ for an amazing tow rig.  This isn't the highest horsepower and torque option but it is a good starting point at minimal cost.  The VP44 can be an issue if proper fuel pressure is not maintained.  Again an easy fix with several after market fuel systems available.  The dowel pin people mentioned earlier is only an issue with older trucks (01 is fine).  After you have your Dodge fixed up you can save for a Toy!  Goodluck, Eric
A wealth of info is available free at www.dodge-diesel.org - look in the 2nd generation section for the year range you are looking at
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2007, 04:54:24 AM »
Thank you all for the info on the the Cummins and what you would do. Most likely i am going to keep the yota and get the Dodge. Again, thank you all.

military_stang

idacurt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
The same thing happened to me and I kept my old truck while using the f-350 psd for hauling.Life changed and after two years of using the psd I sold it because I was not using it enogh to justify the expense.
In the end I'm glad I kept my old vehicle.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »
I agree that if its financialy possible for you, keep the yoter and get the cummins. that way, like others have said, when the yoter isnt street legal anymore, bam, youve already got your toy hauler. Good luck with your decision. I know i have a horrible time making decisions, especially when it comes to vehicles I love dearly. :)

As for the wifey, she oughta learn to like the sticks. My girlfriend hated sticks but I made her like em, and now she owns a manual toyota. She came to realize the benefits of a manual transmission. Thats the way it oughta be....  :thumbs:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

S-M-R-T

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Keep my Yoter or get a Cummins
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »
Cummins rock, but the rest of a Dodge truck pretty much sucks.  Dodges are ridiculously expensive to maintain.  If you need a tow rig I would buy an slightly older Dodge (90s) and with the cash that you save you won't have to feel bad about keeping the Toyota as well.  Either that or put the extra cash into bling.  The old 12 valves are cheap to pimp.

bnold

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:52:19 PM »
I have both and couldn't be happier!!   :)   You cannot beat the cummins in a pickup. period.  7.3 was a good motor... 6.0 is crap... duramax ok as long as you keep it stock...  Cummins will run and run..  Mine is just over 500hp and 1200ftlbs of torque and my daily driver...  Fuel supply was mentioned (lift pump)...  Just replace it with aftermarket and get a gauge.   VP44s will last forever if they have good fuel pressure...

If you have any questions about the dodge feel free to ask...  Know lots more about them than I do my newly acquired 85 yota

By the way I just turned 20 nad own them both....   No daddy or mommy.... My work and my $$$

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2007, 04:38:52 AM »
I know, it's just so hard... GOOD GRIEF.... hey bnold, i'm an active member of that forum, and my user name is the same as it is here...

military_stang