Author Topic: How to setup R&P ??  (Read 4218 times)

kentuckyken

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 107
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Gotta start somewhere!
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies
How to setup R&P ??
« on: Feb 03, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »
Are there any links on how to setup my old ring and pinion on a new Detroit ?  :inthedark:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: How to setup R&P ??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2007, 03:09:33 PM »
i don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you don't already know how to do it yourself, you shouldn't be setting up any gears.....

considering how important gears are, i would leave setup to someone who knows that they know what they are doing
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2007, 04:15:19 PM »
or you can research on how to do it...this is a great place to start...
http://www.gearinstalls.com/index.htm
also www.4x4wire.com has some nice write-ups as well
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »
i don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you don't already know how to do it yourself, you shouldn't be setting up any gears.....

considering how important gears are, i would leave setup to someone who knows that they know what they are doing

There is nothing wrong with his question.  Everybody has to start somwhere.  As long as he researched enough, he should be fine.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »
if  youve  rebuilt  some engines  successfully  then i say give it a shot

those links are good,  ZUK is the man  for diffs
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »

remember "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".  Some steps are just more expensive than others.  :grad: Read up on it all you can and you may need to buy or borrow (If someone is nice enough to loan them out) the proper instruments for the set up process. I was once told, "never be afraid of taking anything apart because you can always find someone who CAN put it back together".  :biggthumpup: good luck with your learning experience.  :crossed:

kentuckyken [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Gotta start somewhere!
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2007, 06:37:12 PM »
Jimbo74 yes you do sound like a jerk ... and worse.

To everyone else , thanks. Yes I have built several kick a$$ Chevy SB's. I have my own 36" knee mill and lathe and to my credit I have patents pending on some tools that I designed and built. I have made target triggers for 22's with a 3oz. pull that WILL NOT go off even when the gun butt is slamed on the floor. (to those that may know what that means)

But like the replies say, I gotta start sometime. I've never needed to install R&P gears b4 so I never needed to know before.   :beerchug:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2007, 07:03:47 PM »
try these:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gear_setup/

http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html

those helped me out when I did my first set (only set)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »
also, the gears usually come with a little paper giving a brief overview, and stating the mfrs recommended backlash.

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
I didn't want to jump down jimbo's throat or anything, so i just posted the links that i've been reviewing/studying for months on end. but fordh8r said it perfectly..."a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step" so so true.

I've never been afraid of tearing into anything.

EI...I bought a 2001 GMC Sierra in 2000 6 weeks later i was dropping it to the ground and had to cut my frame. I never did it before, but it's 6 years later and never had anything wrong with it. It's about diving into the kool aid with or without the sugar and seeing how it turns out...chances are, you're neighbor has a cup waiting for you.  was that a good analogy? :)

The tools to do it are cheap for the most part...magnetic base, dial indicator, bearing puller, some sort of press, assortment of brass drifts, probably home made spanner tools, digital micrometer, (there is a tool out there to measure pinion depth, gear marking compound, always buy master install kit with new gears, 30m socket i believe, torque wrench is a bit expensive, but i find a nice impact wrench should do the trick...punches, ball peen hammer...i think that about covers it...most of that you can get for under 50 bucks, and some you might already have 
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2007, 10:05:22 PM by Loki »
MY BUILD UP THREAD

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:03:52 PM »
ken, more power to you if you feel comfortable doing it

thanks for calling me a jerk, and welcome to the site

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:16:43 PM »
YOU GO, BOY!   :woohoo:   Oh sorry, just came out  :dunno:  Good going on your accomplishments.  :thumbsup: Enjoy the gear building!  :flamer:

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2007, 04:45:10 AM »

This is the type of responce I would expect on Pirate, but not here.

You are just opening yourself up for a bashing.

I see you took it like a man and welcomed the newcomer, that was big of you.

Carry on
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2007, 06:34:31 AM »
  This is the type of responce I would expect on Pirate, but not here.

You are just opening yourself up for a bashing.

I see you took it like a man and welcomed the newcomer, that was big of you.

Carry on

I would like to think I know something about cars, but I understand and acknowledge there is just so much that I don't know, and I personally wouldn't want to attempt to do gears on my own, at least not without the help from someone who actually knew what they were doing. The cost of gears and an install kit are already expensive enough, and for me to read an online writeup and then feel confident enough to experiment with my self, i just wouldn't when would i get it right? thousands of dollars into the hole? to me, that wouldn't be worth it. i don't have the extra $ to throw around like that.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:11:13 AM »
Kentuckyken, do you have an old toy 3rd member around that you can practice with first?  Maybe that would help.

kentuckyken [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Gotta start somewhere!
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2007, 07:41:25 AM »
Loki - Looking back over what you said I needed, I've got an eight pound sledge. You think that'll be enough to work on a toy truck? Naw I've got everything but the digi mic, mines a 30 year old B&S that's still as clean as the day it was made. My hydraulic press is my own build with air over hydraulic that'll bend 2x2 bar stock. The bearing seperator will have to be made in the old South Bend. I've needed one before but never wanted to buy an offshore crappy one but never needed one often enough to make it. This time I will.

Jimbo74 - Now then ... You said "jerk" to start with, I was just carrying it on  :blah:. The reason I have to install my R&P myself is what you said about money. That is IF I buy a Detroit Locker. I don't have the money to pay to have it setup for me. If I did believe me I'd let someone else do it. My hands hurt me very much when I have to hold tools or even a phone. Ten minutes of holding my 4" angle grinder yesterday had me in the house running hot water over my hand trying to get the thumb muscle to relax. I can't shake hands with anyone either. Enough history...
So the morale is, don't judge someone by your fears until you know their skills. Here's some of my fun stuff that I was doing until a year ago  http://www.kentuckyken.photosite.com/
So, Friend or Foe ?   :beerchug:

Hottrod81 - This is my first Toy. I bought another for the front axle and rear springs (85). These old rotted Toys are getting hard to find around here. I've had to rebuild the rear half of this frame (88). The 85 I bought had a 3 foot long rusted and gone hole in the midsection.

I have an old friend that was an automotive instructor in Dearborn, Michigan that the dealers sent their new mechanics to his classes to get their training. He's just on the other side of town if I need any help. Don't know if I'd call him though. He's got so much money coming in now that he seems to have forgot his old friends with grease under their finger nails. Funny how 30+ year friends can't return phone calls....

The BIGGEST problem is getting the Detroit without the ol lady putting a bump on my head !!! ... I gotta hide that sledge!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:03:43 AM »
dude,  read up on  ZUK's  instructions  you'll be fine,  im in arkansas,  if i can help  feel free to ask
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:28:07 AM »
Well put, kentuckyken (In post #15)  :biggthumpup:  I love grit and eloquence. Oh and if I hadn't said yet, Very big  :welcome: from Nor Cal. and x2 on any questions you may have as I'm an experinced gear builder myself. I used to build a lot of D80's for fed-ex when I worked at Freightliner A few years back (man Those guys could blow  :pokinit: up). Since then I've built several toy thirds and stuff for other makes and models. Just take your time with building and checking as you go and most importantly the break-in period. You wouldn't want a properly set-up set of gears to fail because of improper break-in. Again good luck and  :welcome:.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2007, 08:52:36 AM »
Just took the time to look closely at those pics you have and WOW pretty cool. I don't know what a lot of those pieces were exactly but it obviously takes a fair amount of skill or talent or both to do that (none of which I posses for such work, of course). But my favorite was the exploded view of that deer.  :laugh: Ring and Pinion I'm sure is well within your abilities.

kentuckyken [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Gotta start somewhere!
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:03:19 AM »
Fordh8r - Thankx. The small brass castings were some antique reproduction work I did for a cabinet shop in NY. The Stag head was made from orginal 1800's weathervane for a guy in IN. They were cast in zinc. I hate breathing that crap! I love casting but my back doesn't. I need to make an overhead trolly to transport the flask outside. Melting castiron with propane is a challenge but sometimes I get lucky.

Xtreme4x4 is on the tube ... gotta runnnnnnnnn

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:21:36 AM »
8lbs should be plenty...i'm sure if you have all that, you'll have a dead blow too ;) i'd say it's worth the 20 bucks or so for a bearing puller...saves time.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
Have you thought about trying an Aussie locker? I believe it is signifigantly cheaper than the Detroit, and just as strong.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/productreviews/aussie/

http://www.offroadlockers.com/make.php/TMa0fad5/a11a/20/.html
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2007, 07:56:16 PM »
Unless you change the pinion bearings with a differant brand you should be in good shape and only need to set the backlash.

Just change the ring gear over to the new carrier and set the carrier bearings so you have the proper backlash and preload.

I usulay set the backlash by feel and it works out well for me, but I have done a lot of them and would recommend a dial indicator for your first time.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:19:01 PM »
the best way in my openion is to make friends with the owner of a local 4x4 shop (may take some time) and then ask him to look over your shoulder wile you set up your therd
thats how i learned

kentuckyken [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Gotta start somewhere!
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »
Oddmar - Thanks for those links, I hadn't found much info on the Aussies but I had been wanting to check them out. The step by step with pics is almost as good as someone else doing it  :yesnod:

Willy Mammoth - I guess the "feel" method would work if I was welding but since I haven't put in R&P's for 30+ years I'd rather do the paint method, and of course a dial indicator. I've got those covered :yesnod:

Yotaboy79 - There's NOT any 4x4 shops around here that I've ever heard of.  If there was I still rather learn from the net as shops around here have a lot of "experts" that don't know :pokinit: The big engine shop here has ruined to many parts for me over the years. They totally ruined a set of 375 Fuelie SB Chevy heads without even saying they were sorry !  :mad: Hey I got the TOY sittin on all fours today  :beerchug:

Thanks everybody, I think I can pull it off and if I go with the Aussie I might not even have to hide under the bed when she finds out   :yikes:

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2007, 09:18:17 PM »
Post up some picks when you can.

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:13:55 PM »
Are there any links on how to setup my old ring and pinion on a new Detroit ?  :inthedark:

All your doing is installing a detroit using your old gears? Easy stuff. Read up. Get a dial indicator guage and do it. All you have to to is set up the back lash. You will not have the hassle of setting pinion depth since you are not changing the ring and pinion.

:thumbs: :beer:
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2007, 10:18:35 PM by 4X Flyin »
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

papa mike

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 328
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2007, 06:32:39 AM »
Loki - Looking back over what you said I needed, I've got an eight pound sledge. You think that'll be enough to work on a toy truck? Naw I've got everything but the digi mic, mines a 30 year old B&S that's still as clean as the day it was made. My hydraulic press is my own build with air over hydraulic that'll bend 2x2 bar stock. The bearing seperator will have to be made in the old South Bend. I've needed one before but never wanted to buy an offshore crappy one but never needed one often enough to make it. This time I will.

Jimbo74 - Now then ... You said "jerk" to start with, I was just carrying it on  :blah:. The reason I have to install my R&P myself is what you said about money. That is IF I buy a Detroit Locker. I don't have the money to pay to have it setup for me. If I did believe me I'd let someone else do it. My hands hurt me very much when I have to hold tools or even a phone. Ten minutes of holding my 4" angle grinder yesterday had me in the house running hot water over my hand trying to get the thumb muscle to relax. I can't shake hands with anyone either. Enough history...
So the morale is, don't judge someone by your fears until you know their skills. Here's some of my fun stuff that I was doing until a year ago  http://www.kentuckyken.photosite.com/
So, Friend or Foe ?   :beerchug:

Hottrod81 - This is my first Toy. I bought another for the front axle and rear springs (85). These old rotted Toys are getting hard to find around here. I've had to rebuild the rear half of this frame (88). The 85 I bought had a 3 foot long rusted and gone hole in the midsection.

I have an old friend that was an automotive instructor in Dearborn, Michigan that the dealers sent their new mechanics to his classes to get their training. He's just on the other side of town if I need any help. Don't know if I'd call him though. He's got so much money coming in now that he seems to have forgot his old friends with grease under their finger nails. Funny how 30+ year friends can't return phone calls....

The BIGGEST problem is getting the Detroit without the ol lady putting a bump on my head !!! ... I gotta hide that sledge!
   dude  looks like you can make anything    ,,give it a try  just take your time   and  check the clearances