Author Topic: Engine tick  (Read 1975 times)

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Engine tick
« on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
I have tried everything I can think of to shut my 22R up.  It's making a very loud high pitched valve sounding tick.  It sounds like a single tick rather than several things ticking like you would expect from improperly adjusted valves.  It seems to be timed to tick about once or twice per engine revolution.

I have adjusted the valves, pulled the fuel pump and run the motor with it off to rule it out, checked that the timing chain guides are in place, and run the engine without the valve cover to rule out rocker/cover interference.  The engine has good oil pressure.  50psi or above driving.

The motor was a fairly fresh rebuild from the PO and I had the HG replaced at which time the mechanic noted that the cam was going flat.  We replaced the cam, rockers and HG and the ticking continued.  The replacement cam went flat also.  I took it back and he put another cam and rockers in and it continues to tick.

I don't think it is an exhaust leak because it does it under power and under compression.  It doesn't get louder or quieter when you accelerate or let the truck decelerate under compression.  I can accelerate up to 4k rpm and let off and as the vehicle slows the ticking remains at the same volume and decreases in rate with the engine RPM while I would expect an exhaust leak to quit due to reduced exhaust gas when I close the throttle.

I'm totally stumped and don't know where to go from here.  The new cam looks ok so far and the noise has been there the whole time so I don't think it's related to the cam issues I've had but I guess it could be in some way that I'm unaware of.

Does anybody know where I should go from here?  Past experiences or even anything you've even heard of?

I'm desperate.  At this point I'm ready to say screw it and drive it until something breaks or it starts to smoke or lose oil pressure.

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Engine tick
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:22:52 PM »
Sounds to me like there is something going on with the cam/head/valve train.  Could there be mis matched parts or did the PO rebuild the original engine?  I share your frustration but hang in there I am sure you will get pointed in the right direction on here.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:27:23 PM »
my 22r has a tick... i never had a problem with it, the valves might be a little off, but the noise was there before i redid them, and its still there, me adjusting it made the tick worse....

I've replaced the timing set and hg as well, with the hg i had the head rebuilt too....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:09:45 PM »
A 22r engine will have a ticky, mechanical sound.  Your last cam probably went flat either because they didn't use assembly lube or they didn't break it in properly.  Can you post up a sound file of the tick for us?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

RRMike [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »
I will.  I'll take the camcorder out tomorrow and get a minute of video and find somewhere to host it.

I have an 86 efi runner and it sounds nothing like this.  It's a VERY noticeable tick.  I think it's louder now than it was before.  I talked to a guy I know today who's a Toy guy and he said it could be one or more bolts backing out of the flywheel if nothing else checks out.  Knowing the quality of the rebuild I've seen evidenced so far by the PO I wouldn't put it past them to have not put loctite on the bolts and or not torqued them properly.  That would totally make my day :shudder:

tufsurf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:49:12 AM »
I had a tick recently that was much louder than the usual injector tick. I replaced the timing chain tensioner and problem solved. I put a new T/C kit on my 22re and after about 500 miles it started ticking really loud. the tensioner went soft and the chain wasnt meeting the top gear properly.

RRMike [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2007, 05:09:54 PM »
I can't find my camcorder and can't think of another way to get a decent quality sound file.  I tried using my GF's pda but couldn't figure out how to make it record.

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »
I PUT OIL IN MINE! SHUT IT RIGHT UP

J/K
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

RRMike [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »
Figured I'd come back and post the resolution to this.  I took it to a Toy guy I know and he re-adjusted the valves.  He set them tighter than I had them and one was pretty loose, I guess I skipped one, and that was causing the tick.  They are quiet now :thumbs: