Author Topic: tick tick ticking???  (Read 1759 times)

mado13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
tick tick ticking???
« on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:41:58 PM »
okay, heres my problem.  I have an 82 yota 22r with 217xxx miles on it.  Just recently it started making a noise that sounds like an exhaust leak but i cant find one anywhere.  It only make the noise when its accelerating in gear, it dosnt make it in neutral or when the clutch is in.  I thought it might be needing a valve job but it only makes this noise when im in gear.  Any ideas?
Thanks for the input!
Marty

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: tick tick ticking???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:47:40 PM »
okay, heres my problem.  I have an 82 yota 22r with 217xxx miles on it.  Just recently it started making a noise that sounds like an exhaust leak but i cant find one anywhere.  It only make the noise when its accelerating in gear, it dosnt make it in neutral or when the clutch is in.  I thought it might be needing a valve job but it only makes this noise when im in gear.  Any ideas?
Thanks for the input!
Marty
where is sound coming from? front or back of truck? its hard to say. could be lots of things
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »
Ya might pull the valve cover and check the timing chain guides. I rebuilt a motor a while back and after the owner got it hot one time, the guides (plastic}got brittle and broke within a month. :dunno:  He ketp driving it with the guides broken and wore a hole in the timing cover= water in oil.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

mado13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:18:20 PM »
the noise is coming from in front of the cab, enigne and tranny area.
Ill check the guides, thanks again.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:17:01 PM »
Could be clutch coming apart too.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's possible one of the springs is coming loose.  I've had some come loose in mine before and get stuck between the flywheel and disc, made some noise and couldn't shift
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jmp

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
Check the bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the downpipe. Sometimes they can rattle loose,this usually fries the gasket between the two causing a hissing noise.

mado13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:11:37 PM »
okay, heres an update.  I pulled the valve cover off the other evening.  The chain was fine and i checked the valves. One had a huge gap and so i fixed that and checked all the others.  When i fired it up afterwords, tick tick tick, still.  I am stumped.  The clutch should be good but how do i check that.  Any more help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers