Author Topic: Brake bleeding help!  (Read 2171 times)

stillakid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -141
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rockrunner
    • View Profile
Brake bleeding help!
« on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:00:43 AM »
Flame away  :flamer:but I'm having a major problem with my brakes and getting them bled correctly.  First I have an 84 4runner and I just put the wider IFS rear axle on the runner with a u-bolt flip kit.  Once I had everything bolted on, I tried to bleed the brakes and I can't seem to get all the air bubbles out.  If I open the front brakes, everything is great (no air).  If I check at the proportioning valve above the spare tire, no air.  At the rear wheel though, the air keeps coming.  I've used about a 1/2 gallon of brake fluid at this point.  Am I missing something?  Can air be getting in somewhere if there are no leaks with fluid coming out?  OR is there something else I need to change because of the axle swap (master cylinder?). 

I'm lost at this point so I need some advice... :maddest:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Brake bleeding help!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:24:13 AM »
how are you bleeding the brakes??
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:25:59 AM »
Just keep your front and proportioning valve closed, bleed the rear until there is no air. Took me about 5 rotations to get all the air out of mine after the swap.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:41:32 AM »
i bypassed the LSPV  years ago  :yesnod:

but  i can see having the  bigger brakes  it  might be needed :dunno:

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 09:54:06 AM »
Yup...you might want to open each rear valve and just push fluid right through it...your problem is that you have to get the lines plus the cylinders filled with fluid...thats quite a bit of air.
Another solution is a pressure bleeder which will go much more quicker... :gap:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:27:26 AM »
Yup...you might want to open each rear valve and just push fluid right through it...your problem is that you have to get the lines plus the cylinders filled with fluid...thats quite a bit of air.
Another solution is a pressure bleeder which will go much more quicker... :gap:
use the buddy system  and work slow

stillakid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rockrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:48:21 AM »
I've been using the buddy system.  The wife was sitting in the truck for like 2 hours on a couple of different days.  Pumping and holding but still air in the system.

I just thought of another strange thing.  If she would pump the pedal like 5 times and hold it down, and I open the front brakes or the proportioning valve at the rear, the pedal goes down to the floor.  If she pumps and holds and I open either of the rear brakes, the pedal does not go down.

what should I check next?  Do I need to take the wheels off now and check to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking in air  somehow?  Or just keep pumping and holding with my little glass jar and rubber hose?

Does that help any more?

Greg   :tantrum:

stillakid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rockrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
Can you buy a power bleeder for a reasonable amount?  If one is not too much money, I might just try that.  What does one cost?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2006, 11:31:35 AM »
I've been using the buddy system.  The wife was sitting in the truck for like 2 hours on a couple of different days.  Pumping and holding but still air in the system.

I just thought of another strange thing.  If she would pump the pedal like 5 times and hold it down, and I open the front brakes or the proportioning valve at the rear, the pedal goes down to the floor.  If she pumps and holds and I open either of the rear brakes, the pedal does not go down.

what should I check next?  Do I need to take the wheels off now and check to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking in air  somehow?  Or just keep pumping and holding with my little glass jar and rubber hose?

Does that help any more?

Greg   :tantrum:
:smack:   take the LSPV arm off the axle  and tie it up to the frame, then bleed 

sorry  :_oops:

stillakid [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rockrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »
The LVSP arm the that weird arm that goes from the proportioning valve and bolts with 2 bolts to the left side of the rear axle, right?  I never did understand what that thing did.  So I should tie it all the way up and then try bleeding again?

I'll try that and let you know.

thanks
Greg :usa:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2006, 02:54:39 PM »
Can you buy a power bleeder for a reasonable amount?  If one is not too much money, I might just try that.  What does one cost?

they are like $50 you can get them may places, i believe the brand name is motive power bleeder
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Saber

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 50
  • Member since Apr '06
  • What up "G"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:42:05 PM »
Save yourself a lot of time, money, and a buddy.  Pick up some speed bleeders and do the job by yourself...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RUS%2D639560&N=700+301361+4294907680+4294907510+115&autoview=sku

Anyone who has ever used a power bleeder will (or should) tell you they don't exactly work as advertised.  With speed bleeders, absolutely no air will enter due to a spring loaded bearing inside.  Brake fluid and air has a one way trip out.  Hook up your clear hose, drain it in whatever and start by bleeding the farthest line first, working toward the shortest.  If you must keep your LSPV, bleed it last.  I too would recommend ditching the LSPV.  Chances are it's broken anyway.   :yupyup:

Best of luck!
***  SAS'ed '94 ext. cab - V6 auto - 4.88's - TrueTrac front & rear  ***

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
The LVSP arm the that weird arm that goes from the proportioning valve and bolts with 2 bolts to the left side of the rear axle, right?  I never did understand what that thing did.  So I should tie it all the way up and then try bleeding again?

I'll try that and let you know.

thanks
Greg :usa:
yes the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve

take it loose from the axle  and tie it  up to the frame  and leave it there, 

mad maud

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Nov '06
  • if at first you dont succeed...blow it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:36:36 AM »
try looking on ebay for an ezee bleed ,its just a bottle with a couple of tubes that attach to your spare  and use the pressure from that, dead easy, shouldnt cost more than $20
IVE TRIED TO GIVE A DAM AND FAILED

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2006, 03:44:16 PM »
Or just do what Saber suggested, but instead of Summitt Racing at $10.00 each, go to http://www.speedbleeder.com/automobile_applications.htm#Toyota and pay $7.00 each...that's 4 for $28.00...the little can and hose, having a buddy help pump, the 'trick' devices to get it done, those all suck compared to the simplicity of SpeedBleeders.

And i second the motion of getting rid of the LSPV...mine are always frozen up, and i always snap off the bleeder screws anyway. Go to Auto Zone and buy some new brake lines, too, if you notice it leaking anywhere. Brake line is cheap.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.