Author Topic: What is this? 3.0 Water pump q  (Read 7359 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
What is this? 3.0 Water pump q
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »
Got a small issue.  My water pump went out, so I got to tearing down the motor yesterday.    pulled a good water pump off my spare engine, and went to go put it on.  UH OH!  there is a difference :down:  I need to know what the tubing coming off the thermostat housing is, and what I can do about it.  Can I use the water pump from the spare motor?  or do I need to go buy one without the tube?

1st pic are the two pumps together
2nd pic is the pump I want to put on my truck ('91 3.0 )
3rd pic is the one I just took off  ('88 3.0)
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: What is this? 3.0 Water pump q
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 04:53:40 PM »
the  one thats in the truck now  didnt have the tube  or did??

i'd say  if you dont NEED the tube  just plug the hole
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:06:31 PM »
the  one thats in the truck now  didnt have the tube  or did??

i'd say  if you dont NEED the tube  just plug the hole

didn't.  The one from the truck is the dirty.  I thought about that, but I'm not sure how to go about plugging the tube.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »
yeah, jason, I went thru this with a customer a few weeks back.  Toyota used 2 pumps on the 3vze.  One with and one without a bypass tube.  This seems to be the only difference, so cap it and run it if you don't need it.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:31:10 PM »
yeah, jason, I went thru this with a customer a few weeks back.  Toyota used 2 pumps on the 3vze.  One with and one without a bypass tube.  This seems to be the only difference, so cap it and run it if you don't need it.

How would you recommend capping that bypass tube?  definitely not something I'd want coming off/out.  Also, do you know where the bypass tube goes?  I'm just curious as to why the tube is even there :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2006, 09:06:52 PM »
yea i'm with glen, if the old one didn't have the tube just plug it. You dont want to hear my jerry rig idea's for plugging that hole  :gap:
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2006, 11:22:18 PM »
Look for a rubber plug to slide over it and hose clamp on.  It should be made of the same type of rubber as your radiator hoses.  I don't know where to look, maybe napa or ace hardware :dunno:  We run caps like these but bigger on our houseboats, but they're a factory omc part so I don't know where to find something like it.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:22:21 AM »
yea i'm with glen, if the old one didn't have the tube just plug it. You dont want to hear my jerry rig idea's for plugging that hole  :gap:

Prolly about the same as mine :dunno:  I was thinking filling the tube with permatex, then hammering it flat : :_oops:

-Ronald Reagan

mikerob

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:32:08 AM »
Tomorow i can come over and show you where the hose goes too it was hard to explain on the phone

k5kell

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:06:27 PM »
Would it be possible to pull the tube out of the water pump housing and tapp it? Might be more time consuming but possibly stronger.
-Kell-

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:32:50 PM »
I would go for the right pump for the app. That tube looks like potential trouble. Just recently bought a factory water Asian pump from toyota for the 3VZE 3.0. It was 99.00.
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2006, 05:59:10 PM »
Tomorow i can come over and show you where the hose goes too it was hard to explain on the phone

:thumbs: sweet

Would it be possible to pull the tube out of the water pump housing and tapp it? Might be more time consuming but possibly stronger.
-Kell-

:dunno: thats a good idea, didn't think about that.  :headscratch:

I would go for the right pump for the app. That tube looks like potential trouble. Just recently bought a factory water Asian pump from toyota for the 3VZE 3.0. It was 99.00.
I'd usually agree with you, but I have a hard time just tossing a good pump, especially since its almost brand new :thumbs:  it just came off a different motor.  But that is a valid concern.  :hmmm :think:

I'd still really like to know where that tube goes to though.  Obviously on this motor there isn't a reason to have it, but I'd like to know to expand my knowledge :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
its probley just a bypass tube, so water can move around the t-stat when it is closed. I have seen alot of thos with cooling issues, that may be how toyota tried to fix the problem.
PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
Update for those of you that care.  I went out to the barn that my old motor is in, and took some photos.  The tube connects to a hose, that ocnnects to that round thing (I have no idea what it is, same diameter as an oil filter)  and that has a tube that goes into the block.  The motor in my truck doesn't have any tubes going to or from that thing.  another cooler of some sort?  Oil cooler or something?  I was getting waterin my oil on the old motor, and that thing was full of the oil/water mix.  :dunno:

I think I'm just going to plug the hole on that water pump, and use it.  I'm not gonna deal with swapping all this stuff out.

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2006, 03:41:52 PM »
:headscratch:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2006, 03:42:37 PM »
so i've got a few options I guess.

1.  plug the tube and run it.  What would be the best way to do this?  removing the tube and tapping it isn't a real feasible option.  I've also considered finding a rubber cap, and hoseclamping it on.  Also, I've considered filling it with permatex, and then hammering it flat, then hammering the end back over on itself.  After its hammered, then clean the permatex that oozed back out the hole into thew thermostat area.  :dunno:  

2. buy a new water pump without the tube.  Enough said, but I don't care for this option as much, because I have a good waterpump already, and don't want to spend the $$ on a new one.  I know they're about $100, but thats $100 that I've already spent essentially.  

3. reroute the water from that tube back into the cooling system.  My dad suggested this, and I like the idea, if it'll work :dunno:  I'm not sure where I would tap it into with a 3way tee.  

Ideas?  thoughts?  suggestions?

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2006, 04:12:50 PM »
cuta piece of hose  about 3 inches long,  secure it to the pump,  insert old tranny bellhousing bolt into other end of hose and clamp it off

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2006, 10:16:06 PM »
cuta piece of hose  about 3 inches long,  secure it to the pump,  insert old tranny bellhousing bolt into other end of hose and clamp it off
this is basically what I decided to do :thumbs:  quick ad easy, and not permament in case I need to do something else

-Ronald Reagan

mikerob

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2006, 10:36:52 PM »
were you able to get the pulley off??

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2006, 11:27:14 PM »
were you able to get the pulley off??

ya.  Made myself an SST outta angle iron, and got the crank bolt loose, then the puller popped it right off :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

damaged110

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 2
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2006, 12:30:29 PM »
Hi this is my first post hope you guys dont mind . just for anyone that would like to know that round thing is a oil cooler. most trucks had them.

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:12:04 PM »
that thing is an oil cooler it was added to the 3.0 in 1992 i think and it's on the 3.4 too
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

mikerob

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2006, 12:58:31 AM »
that thing is an oil cooler it was added to the 3.0 in 1992 i think and it's on the 3.4 too

Actually mine is a 90 and it has this oil cooler on it.