Author Topic: cell phones and their companies  (Read 3151 times)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
cell phones and their companies
« on: Nov 21, 2006, 12:43:08 PM »
alright i know just about everybody on here has a cell phone, my questions are:
1. what company has given you the best connection and service.
2. how long is your cell phone holding up?

my family was with verizon wireless when we lived in houston, excellent service, and the 2 phones i had never quite working, even after i ran over 1 of them and the other was in my pocket while i was water skiiing  :smack: . but since i've been with cingular (past 2 years and another 7-8 months to go) i've had shitty reception, takes 2-3 calls on average for people to reach my phone, and i've gone through 4 phones (now need a 5th) in the time i've been with them.

so just curious what companies yall think are good, and if they still make the military grade phones anymore. basic, durable, just downright reliable.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: cell phones and their companies
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
I just got a new contract with Verizon after the old one ran out.  What I have found is the their phone selection isn't spectaculer and they like to cripple functions to monopolize your wireless useage, but far and away Verizon has the best coverage in the nation.  I have never had reception problems with Verizon in FL, CT, and now KS...as well as everywhere else I have been just to visit.

I got a Nokia phone, it is pretty decent.  The Nokias and Samsungs seem to hold up quite well to abuse.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:03:54 PM »
I've been with Verizon before it became verizon!  At least 14 years now and no problems!  I live in a remote area and it does pretty good!  Went to cali this summer, and now problems!  Except for the fact, that if you plan to travel, don't have local plan!!   :yikes:   I have many friends who have other companies and they are always switching from one to the other!  I agree with Cteng, that verizon has the best coverage!  I love the nextel type of features, but you are real spotty on coverage!  ATT/Cingular seems to have alot of problems where I live!  I agree again that verizon is limited to phones, but whatever works I'm happy with!  Since my first phone was the brick phone, lasted ten years, killer reception, but heavy.  And my second phone works good, but certain features I don't like!  Just do your research, don't just buy the cheapest plan! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:43:21 PM »
I believe it depends on where you are located as well as to which company might be better for you. What is good for us in FL might not be the same on CA.

We were told by trucker friends years ago that Verizon always worked best for them. They haul from GA to CA to FL and back. We have Verizon now and I can't say I'm overly impressed, but not dissatisfied either.

I miss our Nextel direct connect capability but I do find we have better reception with Verizon then with Nextel. I could never get a signal in Ocala Nat. Forest with Nextel and I do get a weak signal with Verizon. 

Listening to the XM trucker station, though, it does sound like Cingular is one of the worst you can have.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:45:46 PM »
I have been with cingular for about 4-5 years now. Most of my travels have been along the gulf coast say withinbetween 2miles and 1/2 a mile. Cingular worked all along there better than anyother phone service the people in my crew had. I have never been north of the Louisiana state line with it though so I cant say how it does out of the extream southern parts of the nation... the phones do hold up like crap though. ring now I am on my 6th phone.
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2006, 06:01:47 PM »
I've been with Verizon 2-3 years. Great service, I can get calls in the boonies down in a canyon where Tmobile wouldn't go. I have a new(ish) phone because my other one got run over...I could see anything on the screen but the phone still worked. I had/have Audiovox, they seem bullet proof. It's got a bunch of crap I never use, but it's hard to get a plain jane phone.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

RAZOR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2006, 08:41:35 PM »
Audiovox, they seem bullet proof.

:yesnod:
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2006, 02:04:17 AM »
It's got a bunch of crap I never use, but it's hard to get a plain jane phone.

Crap I just took another picture of my ear!!!  I heard somebody say that one day!   :rofl2:  Then there's my bro-in-law that has a problem with taking pictures of his pocket!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2006, 04:41:26 AM »
Is his pocket empty :rofl2:

I can't stand the new phones, they are too small and always changing the ringer volume without knowing about it till someone says "why don't you answer your phone?"

Nextel was cool, but service came and went. It may be I only knew this cause the phone would have this loud BEEP every time the service came back that would make you jump out of your skin.

I do miss the direct connect, but don't miss the BEEP.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2006, 05:11:16 AM »
Oh yeah, that beep was bad! Especially when we'd be on a long road trip.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:18:54 AM »
People with those direct connect phones annoy me even more than std cell users.  I hate that freekin BEEP and then they talk real loud into the stupid handset and now I have to listen to both sides of their conversation.  BAH!  Cell phone BE GONE!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2006, 08:43:54 AM »
  Cell phone BE GONE!

I'm kind of a dinosaur with technology...I didn't get a CD player until the early 90s (when I found out how easy it was  to use while playing guitar), I put off getting a cell phone until Anna turned 16 and started hanging with boys...what a terrible time in a father's life, still gives me the heebie-jeebies! But now, if I go out with out my phone I feel like I'm in another country and can't speak the language. I guess I'm hooked on 'em.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:23:07 AM »
so basicly most of yall are sayin that verizon is the company to go with? they have a limited phone selection, but their phones seem to be holding up pretty well though, unlike my cingular phones. i'd go look at their selection of phones but they dont have a center in midland yet, which is why we went to cingular :yuck: . whats the most basic phones they have? i dont care about having a camera on it, i've got my own digital camera that takes real good quality pics and its easy to carry cause its about the size of my wallet.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

southernoffroader

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2006, 08:48:54 PM »
My Alltel has been very reliable. I have driven from Fl. to Ca. and never lost signal even through the desert. The Ocala National Forest is no challenge at all. I have had Alltel for 8 of the last 10 years and swear by it!!!!!!!!!