Author Topic: getting ready to install radio in my 81. is there a wiring harness available?  (Read 3401 times)

NeverEnough188

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Oct '06
  • mine drags....
    • View Profile
so basically i am getting ready to put some tunes in this thing and i want to have everything i need to get it done smoothly. will i have to hard wire it into the truck or is there an aftemarket harness that connects the deck to the stock plug/s?

Travis
{Travis}
81 longbed 2wd 22r. bone stock winter beater
92 s10 extended cab. bagged, shaved, getting SFBD and 4.3 build. check it out!
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2871366#post2871366

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
so basically i am getting ready to put some tunes in this thing and i want to have everything i need to get it done smoothly. will i have to hard wire it into the truck or is there an aftemarket harness that connects the deck to the stock plug/s?

Travis
depends on how good you are at wiring. if u can do it yourself then fine. if not then yes, any good car audio shop should sell adapter harnesses. Just be prepared to pay more than you would like $$$
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
It shouldn't be too difficult, just read what wire goes to where. How clean it is will depend on how much time you put into routing the wires. It shouldn't be much more than a power, ground, left +/-, right +/- speakers, and maybe some aux inputs. I'm going to have to do the same to mine soon.
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

NeverEnough188 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
  • mine drags....
    • View Profile
i have been doing installs for about 4 years now so i know what i'm doing. just wanted to know what i needed as i've never dealt with this model before. think the local wally world would carry the harness i need?
{Travis}

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
i have been doing installs for about 4 years now so i know what i'm doing. just wanted to know what i needed as i've never dealt with this model before. think the local wally world would carry the harness i need?
not trying to be :moon: but if u have been doing installs for 4 years i would think u would know where to get them
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

NeverEnough188 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
  • mine drags....
    • View Profile
yeah but who knows if they carry them for something this old. usually its just harnesses for newer vehicles. hell the dash doesnt even look like it will take a standard single DIN deck
{Travis}

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Make your own harness, it's not very hard.  All you need is a power wire, a wire for the deck memory, a ground, and wires for the speakers.  I doubt you will find the wiring harness you are looking for.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park

Travis
NO,  you will have to actually  wire it yourself
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yeah but who knows if they carry them for something this old. usually its just harnesses for newer vehicles. hell the dash doesnt even look like it will take a standard single DIN deck
picture it,  1981  Japan,  Little Japanese dude installs  radio into truck,  do ya think he knew what a DIN was  :haha:

um NO,  you will have to ,um  "clearance"  the hole 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

NeverEnough188 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
  • mine drags....
    • View Profile
well i think thats all i need. thanks for the help guys! maybe i'll fiberglass a housing for the deck in the stock bezel. the wiring shouldnt be too hard either. i know the speakers are gonna get some special treatment with their placement in the doors. fiberglass pods ought to do the trick.
{Travis}

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
my 6x9s settled nicely in the holes the previous owner cut in my b-pillars. Personally I like them much better there than in the doors. Out of the way. Oh and the wiring is easy just grab a haynes and a test light to see what wires do what.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
I got a wiring harness from Crutchfield but the factory wires did not match up with what the harness needed.  To get the deck working you just need a ground, positive, and an ignition wire.  Just groung to a screw or fing a ground in a factory harness.  For positive I ran a wire with a fuse straight to the battery just for peice of mind.  I think I disconnected the lighter and used its positive to send power to the stereos ignition wire, just be sure that yours works off of the ignition.  Then you just hook up the antenna (should just plug in) and run speaker wire to all the speakers.  I wouldn't even bother trying to use the factory speaker wires.  So you only really have to worry about the ground, positive, and ignition wires and then it gets easy from there.  Good luck!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I didn't think any of the factory wiring was sufficient in my first gen, so I just wired it all myself.  Ran my own fused hot to the battery, used a test light to find a switched power and ran a short ground to the firewall.  You wanna keep your ground as short as possible, less than 18" usually.  You usually get speaker wire when you buy speakers, so you're basically covered there, but I have a spool of bigger wire I usually use too.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!