Author Topic: 1st Gen 4Runner CB Radio Install - blackdiamond  (Read 5207 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
1st Gen 4Runner CB Radio Install - blackdiamond
« on: Jul 12, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I thought I would separate my CB radio installation to make it easier for others to find.

Today's project was installing everything from the antenna to the radio.  The radio is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.  Everything is complete with the exception of the solder connection on the radio end.  I can't seem to find mine and my neighbors are being really quiet so far today so I'll track one of them down later today.

Pictures of the progress so far to follow.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have having difficulty getting the pictures to post right side up so will work on that, but for now here's list of parts used:

(1) FireStik MK-204R Adjustable SS Door Jamb Antenna Mount Mini-Kit - $31.10 @ Amazon.com

(2) FireStik FL3-B Three Foot FireFly Antenna With Tuneable Tip (Black) - $15.99 @ Amazon.com

(3) PL-259 Right Angle "L" Connector - $6.99 @ Amazon.com

(4) Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring - $12.87 @ Amazon.com

(5) Cobra 18WXSTII Mobile CB Radio with Dual Watch - $67.78 @ Amazon.com

The angle connection may be necessary depending on how much room I have behind the radio in the upper DIN location.  I have moved my stereo to the lower DIN location to provide full support to the CB radio that is expected to be a "friction" fit into the slot.

The mount seems to flex before the springs gives so I'll be ordering a medium duty spring to see how that compares.  I don't want the antenna to be floppy, but the springs should provide some protection for the mount.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Let's see what we have for pictures now.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
You can see that the cable connection to the antenna allows me to absolute minimum amount of cable exposed as is possible.  It's a straight shot into the tail light housing.  The rubber grommet that the tail light wiring goes through already had a hole in it so I just pushed it though.  The cable runs inside the drivers side body panel to the moulding on the door jam where it goes down and under the moulding in the door jam and then up and around the pedals and such.  I was expecting a little more excess that is there given the 18 foot of cable.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's the inside just waiting for the Cobra to arrive.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's a link that could prove useful.  There are dash mount kits available to allow a direct fit between some CB radios and the DIN mount.  The Cobra models listed are cheaper than the one I have, but with the price of the dash mount it would work out to be pretty close.  The advantage would be a direct bolt in installation.

http://www.wearecb.com/in-dash-cb-radio-mount.html

furok23

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Any particular reason you opted to go with CB instead of race radios?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here is the final install.  I cheated a little bit on the wiring because I had never removed the power to the battery (was disconnected) and ground from a subwoofer amplifier that is no longer in the truck.  That made two of the three connections really easy and the orange one I just piggy backed on the one for the tachometer that already shares with the stereo.  It all seems to work great.  I get a little noise with RPM, but I think it will be easily squelched when I'm within normal range of a signal.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Any particular reason you opted to go with CB instead of race radios?

Easy answer is that's what SqWADoosh and the rest of the Washington Wet Wheelers run so it seems only right if I want to play.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
CB's are almost required here.  As most the roads I travel on are also used by heavy equipment, and log trucks.  So, you don't want to come around a corner and come face to face with a loaded log truck.  Cause you are gonna loose.  They will call off the mileage, and you better pay attention to the mileage yourself. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen