Author Topic: Best frickin night of my life!!!  (Read 5567 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Best frickin night of my life!!!
« on: Oct 11, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
So my friends girlfriend's little brother has my dream car.  I've drooled over it a couple times, tried talkin shop with the kid but he didn't seem to care too much about it.  So I'm at my friends house waiting for her to show up so we can watch a tv show, when he looks out the front and says "uh oh, shelby had to drive the Z".  240z baby! 

Soon as she walks in I had to ask her if she'd take me for a ride, and ofcourse she did cause I'm such a nice feller :grin:  Soon as the show goes off I jump up and hit her up for the ride but told her she shouldn't let me drive.  She said she had actually planned on it, but since I said it she was the driver.  She got a little kick outa me gigglin like a school girl when I was gettin in, I just couldn't help myself!  We went a little way down the road, couple miles maybe, before she asked how far I wanted to go.  I didn't wanna keep her up too long so I says go ahead and turn around wherever she can.  On the way back I had to say, "I suppose if you really wanted me to drive I could behave myself", to which she replied, "Just don't do anything you wouldn't do with my dad in the car!". 

HOLY CRAP!  That thing practically drove itself.  Smooth, smooth smooth.  There were a couple little issues I'd hafta fix if it were mine, like a little clunk in the front, slightly loose front end and sticky 2nd and 4th gear, but what the hell, I was driving the car of my dreams!  All the controls seemed to function properly and smooth also, and the car sounded so frickin cool!  Gotta love a nicely tuned straight 6  :eyebrow: 

Anyway, enough jabber.  As I was leaving I decided I had to snap a pic.  What good would this thread be without a decent pic?  Well, still pretty good, but why not throw some eye candy out there  :burnout:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

chevyLUVtoyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Best frickin night of my life!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2006, 12:51:37 AM »
nice car. my buddy has one with a 383 and a 5 speed.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2006, 01:17:59 AM »
That'd be fun :thumbs:  One of the motorbike videos has one with something like 700hp runnin dead on with an R1.  The guy was doin rolling burnouts at will in 2nd or 3rd gear, and they lasted for frickin ever.  My friend is building one for drag racing, I think he's goin twin turbo v8.  I'm gonna see if I can snag all his stock stuff he pulls out, just incase I find one of these.  I wonder how hard it'd be to do a twin turbo setup on the stock 6?  Paging Willy Mammoth, mark, you're needed in isle 1...
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2006, 05:38:06 AM »
He'd be the man to ask :yesnod: you might want to PM him and alert him to the thread.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:00:56 AM »
I love old Datsuns!!   :woohoo:   My favorite are 510's and I'm part of a small 510 club..
I like to Drive!

4inchToyotas

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -260
  • Male Posts: 351
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Wheeling does exist in the ATL
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Cruisers
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:50:50 AM »
buuuuden buuuuden buuuuden
2006 Tundra DC 4x4 - DD/Tow (if I can ever find a place to store a trailer)
1983 Hilux - 20/22r Weber 32/36 carb, 4" ProComp suspension, 5.29's Lockrite Front, Spool rear, 34x10.50x15 LTBs

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2006, 08:02:16 AM »
:drool:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2006, 08:15:13 AM »
That one looks really clean in that photo.  :yesnod:
I like to Drive!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2006, 09:50:02 AM »
My aunt has two, she has a 240z and the 280z!  Both are just cherry!  I love to them for a spin when she's down!  They are very cool cars!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2006, 09:57:16 AM »
Used to have a '70... I had to ride in the excuse for a back seat once :disturbed: That was NO FUN!!! :nope: Notice I said only once :yupyup:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2006, 05:54:34 PM »
That one looks really clean in that photo.  :yesnod:

It aint just in the photo :thumbs:  I'll hafta snag some pics in the day.  The dad bought it for the son and they basically restored it.  A couple gauges didn't work, which is actually really comon for those it seems, but the interior is just as nice as the outside.  They're not poor by any means, and I'm pretty sure he spent what he needed to to make it nice.  While I was there I saw a 69ish firechicken convertable project in the garage, and he made mention of a kit cobra he had back there too. 

I looked on ebay for a z and only saw several, one of which was already up to over $13,000 :yikes:  I checked a certain classified section and found quite a few reasonably priced in a certain area.  Can't say where just yet :shakehead:
RIP KYOTA

logan

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:18:56 PM »
i always figured those things for 4cyls untill i saw a beat up one at the pick and pull,those motors are pretty huge for a car that small

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »
i always figured those things for 4cyls untill i saw a beat up one at the pick and pull,those motors are pretty huge for a car that small

Yea, and they can be made to make lots of power too. I had one we used to drag race that did 12's with only adding a factory turbo, intercooler and 25 psi of boost. It would rip the tires loose in all but 5th gear.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006, 03:42:22 AM by MrsWillyMammoth »
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

logan

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 58
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:34:49 PM »
a factory turbo can make 25 psi? :yikes:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »
after seeing Adam Corrola's 510 I fell in love with that Datsun. I'd love to have one of those one of these days.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2006, 10:07:58 PM »
One of my buddie's moms had a 280z when we were in HS.  They sold the car, because it wasn't really being driven, and no way in heck were they gonna let a high school kid drive it around :yikes: 

That thing was sweet.  White with a red interior, it also had a 383 with a 5 speed in it.  I rode in it once, and that thing could haul!!!  I think they got something like 10K for it :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2006, 10:37:49 PM »
Yea, and they can be made to make lost of power too. I had one we used to drag race that did 12's with only adding a factory turbo, intercooler and 25 psi of boost. It would rip the tires loose in all but 5th gear.

25 psi????? did you have to do anything else for the motor to handle that much boost? what did it run prior to the turbo?

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2006, 02:44:03 AM »
25 psi????? did you have to do anything else for the motor to handle that much boost? what did it run prior to the turbo?

Inside motor, no. Out side motor, yes. Fuel enrichment tricks, hotter ign, stronger clutch, adjust rod on turbo to get boost from 5 psi to 25 psi and run the best gas I could buy (116 octane). Mind you best times were short shifting at 4500 rpm. and 110 mph in 5th through the lights.

Always wanted to build a special motor, but never got a round tuit.

There are some links on the board somewere to videos of it up against Mustangs, a 66 GTO with a big block and a noisy Mazda RX7. None of them could keep up.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2006, 03:44:34 AM »

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2006, 08:55:34 AM »
Smog!  If I'm gonna do it it'll hafta be 73 or older, only want a 240.  Shoulda never sold my 72, but what's done is done :down:
RIP KYOTA

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »
Smog!  If I'm gonna do it it'll hafta be 73 or older, only want a 240.  Shoulda never sold my 72, but what's done is done :down:

Why '73? California's up to '76 now for no smog.... well, for however long it's gonna last.  (It wasn't '76 the beginning of the year, but recently it's gone up to '76 :hyper:  :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2006, 09:51:47 AM »
280's also have the lame 5 mile an hour bumbers wich make it ugly and heavier.    240 is definatly where its at!

... A couple gauges didn't work, which is actually really comon for those it seems, but the interior is just as nice as the outside.... 
They all have little electrical gremlins, my friends 510 has multiple grounds.

here is a pic of his car, super nice first page.   http://www.steve510.com/ 

after seeing Adam Corrola's 510 I fell in love with that Datsun. I'd love to have one of those one of these days.

Ive always loved them :yesnod: and your right Adams is super clean, but good luck trying to find parts for that FJ20 DOHC engine he has in that.

Side note; Adam Corrola likes his 510 car but absolutely doesn't like the 510 comunity.  Cant really blame him though, He is on a national show so he get's lots of calls from crazy 510 owners across the country. 

I wish I never sold my 510  :down:

I like to Drive!

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2006, 04:34:22 PM »
The 280's also have a 2.8L instead of a 2.4L. Now, if you want to get fancy, you could find a crank out of a Maxima diesel and put it in a 2.8L. this would give you a 3.0L L motor. I think they were called a LD28 and only came in the Maximas.

BTW the Maxima gas engine is a 2.4L with the oil pickup in the front. The boss is there if you want to drill it for a rear pickup.

If you put a E31 head (early 240) on a 2.8 you will have a high compression engine with stock parts. You should at least put the 280 valves in so it will breath.

Oh and the 73 240 and 74 260 both have the square Hatchi carbs that aren't worth a crap. That is why the 280 went to EFI. The EFI on these cars is very simple and can easily be tweaked.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »
Why '73? California's up to '76 now for no smog.... well, for however long it's gonna last.  (It wasn't '76 the beginning of the year, but recently it's gone up to '76 :hyper:  :thumbs:

wtf?  since when.  I thought the stopped doing the yearly advance of not having smog?  :headscratch:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2006, 04:56:34 PM »
The 280's also have a 2.8L instead of a 2.4L. Now, if you want to get fancy, you could find a crank out of a Maxima diesel and put it in a 2.8L. this would give you a 3.0L L motor. I think they were called a LD28 and only came in the Maximas.

BTW the Maxima gas engine is a 2.4L with the oil pickup in the front. The boss is there if you want to drill it for a rear pickup.

If you put a E31 head (early 240) on a 2.8 you will have a high compression engine with stock parts. You should at least put the 280 valves in so it will breath.

Oh and the 73 240 and 74 260 both have the square Hatchi carbs that aren't worth a crap. That is why the 280 went to EFI. The EFI on these cars is very simple and can easily be tweaked.

The man knows his Datsuns..   :bowdown:    :clap2:  I prefer the looks and simplicity of the earlier ones.    Ive also been toying with the idea of getting one.

:psss: I don't like the Hitachi's either. Weber DCOEs or 45 Mikuni's are nice.  I was under the impression that the first year efi in the 280s were problematic at best.  I'm not sure though Ive really only played on the 510s.    I guess if you really wanted to get fancy just drop a later Nissan V6 (forgot witch one) in with Turbo.  :yupyup: .  A guy had one last year on a fun run and it was awsome.  That was the first time I really started liking the Z cars.

:gap:

I like to Drive!

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »
The EFI was the same from the start in 75 through 83 with very little changes. It was a Bosh design built by/for Nissan.

I don't think they even used a O2 sensor till 82? Only sensors are water temp some have air temp. If you add in restors in the water temp circut you can change the fuel mixture a little or enough to drowned the engine. Hence the custom fuel enrichment for the turbo.

The 260 and 280 also have longer frame rails under the floor.

What else do you care to know.  :cheese:

I spent years working on the early Z's up to 83. After they went to the new body with the V6 I kind of faded away.

This is the LAST one I restored, it is a 78.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:04:33 PM »

The 260 and 280 also have longer frame rails under the floor.

What else do you care to know.  :cheese:

I spent years working on the early Z's up to 83. After they went to the new body with the V6 I kind of faded away.

This is the LAST one I restored, it is a 78.
:suprised:  WOW, that is awsome!!  Nice work.  If I think of something I will definatly ask you  :yupyup:

:thumbs:

I like to Drive!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:06:46 PM »
And AHHHH helped! :flamer: :whip:  like everythang we do..... oh... and btw...

We do NOT do projects... ANYMORE!! So ya'll just STEP BACK and don't ask! !!  !!! !!!!!!!  :bat:
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2006, 06:14:38 PM by MrsWillyMammoth »

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2006, 06:19:07 PM »
But that is sweet isn't it! ~buffs fingernails on poofed chest~

Where is the Mammoth?