Author Topic: Daily Driver No More (For now)  (Read 6009 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Daily Driver No More (For now)
« on: Aug 31, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »
This is for all of the people here who have no choice but to Daily Drive their Trail Rig, like me.

Just wondering how everyone's truck is doing? :wave:

I am happy to say that it has been nearly 1 whole week!! since I have driven my Rig!! :thumbs: :greengrin:
I just got gas this afternoon in my bike, a full tank of 89oct Shell was just :bowdown: $6.75. Apart from the two recent trips I took my truck to, I have only spent about $25 on gas this whole month.

I am gonna try to hold out and drive just the bike for as long as possible before it starts raining. It is saving me much more than just gas money. Everything on my truck is going to last longer now that I have stopped daily driving it. Tires, Engine, Brakes, etc.

My rig has been my daily driver since Oct of 2004. It's been 5 days since I drove her last. That 5-day streak is the longest ever since I've owned it.

If you daily driver guys can somehow pickup another cheap car (like a ford festiva for $300) then I would highly recommend it. I am getting around town quicker, gas is much much cheaper at 50 mpg, and I have gotten over the fact that I can't show of my rig to everyone where ever I go.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
Re: Daily Driver No More (For now)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2006, 07:32:18 PM »
im still dding mine as of now and hating it more and more everyday but im going to look at and hopefully buy a 99 dodge with a cummins on monday so that should solve that problem but for now my truck is getting great gas mileage and im only spending about $25 a week on gas going from work and back which isnt bad for what the truck can do and what it has been through

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2006, 08:28:07 PM »
im still dding mine as of now and hating it more and more everyday but im going to look at and hopefully buy a 99 dodge with a cummins on monday so that should solve that problem but for now my truck is getting great gas mileage and im only spending about $25 a week on gas going from work and back which isnt bad for what the truck can do and what it has been through

good mileage but when you do have to fill up.  i have a 24 valve cummins and when i fill it up its over $100.  diesel is more than gas now

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2006, 08:49:27 PM »
   Just a few short weeks til I retire mine :woohoo:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:14:40 PM »
I've got a work truck, so I don't drive my rig all that often, but it is still my DD :down:  When I get picked up by a fire dept, I'm buying a late 90s Taco :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »
Damn, guys, it must be nice to have :twocents: !  Mine is a DD till I die, at this point, unless I find a better job.  I've been busting my ass just to get some 2nd hand tires and *maybe* some sliders.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:30:28 PM »
Damn, guys, it must be nice to have :twocents: !  Mine is a DD till I die, at this point, unless I find a better job.  I've been busting my ass just to get some 2nd hand tires and *maybe* some sliders.

I wish I had $$  work truck is saving my :moon: thats for sure :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:42:21 PM »
i couldnt afford the gas with my 94 suburban, going to college, work, and other stuff i'm driving over 400 miles a week. last tuesday (aug 22) i bought a 2006 honda shadow 600cc, anywhere from 53-65mpg. saving me hundreds each month on gas, even with my suburban getting 15mpg city and around 18 highway.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:46:01 PM »
i'd love to have money. but for me getting the bike is actually going to save me hundreds of dollars each month in gas alone, not to mention maintainance (rear axle bearings dying in the suburban right now). i'm spending 138 a month on the bike, 25 for insurance, and 143 for the suburban payment. gas for the bike is about 20-25 dollars each week, the same with the suburban is about 100-120. being a college student and only working part time, money is tight for me, extremely tight but will be getting alot better here real soon.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:50:58 PM »
. being a college student and only working part time, money is tight for me, extremely tight but will be getting alot better here real soon.

I've done that, but I lived at home then.  Now with a $500 rent payment, it get's a little tough.  I get paid salary.  For 80 hours/two weeks(12.50/hr).  Which wouldn't be bad.  except i work at least 100+/two weeks(8.00?hr).  And I am the highest paid worker at my job, so I can't really pregnant dog about it.

sorry for that.  :rant:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2006, 12:21:37 AM »
I've done that, but I lived at home then.  Now with a $500 rent payment, it get's a little tough.  I get paid salary.  For 80 hours/two weeks(12.50/hr).  Which wouldn't be bad.  except i work at least 100+/two weeks(8.00?hr).  And I am the highest paid worker at my job, so I can't really pregnant dog about it.

sorry for that.  :rant:

sounds like you need a better job

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2006, 12:26:40 AM »
i have put prolly 100 miles on my truck in the last 5 months its nice havin a bike

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2006, 01:48:39 AM »
You aint kiddin boy :thumbs:  I probably fill the bike about every 1.5 weeks, and it's never over $10, so I'm probably spending about $30 or so on gas a month.  The kicker was, there for a while I was going salmon fishing on my days off, and I'd spend about $25 in gas each trip, about 3 times a month.  I stopped going because I have a trip coming up and still need to buy some camping gear, but I also sold some parts off my bike to help fund the trip, so I've been dd the truck.  The good part of it is, some guy had a cracked filler neck and put 53 gallons of gas in his waverunner, we pumped all we could outa the engine compartment and into a barrel, and the guy never came and claimed it.  Guess who got about 18 gallons of free gas?  There were a couple gallons of 2 stroke oil in the barrel, so it's premixed, but as long as I put it in a few gallons at a time it's running fine.  I even think it's running smoother at lower rpm!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3731
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2006, 08:17:25 AM »
Mine hasn't been a DD since I got it. With diesel prices so high now my 04 F350 sits in the driveway. So now I'm DD my 80 Toy 4x4  :greengrin:
Time to go wheelin!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2006, 10:45:21 AM »
I wish I could buy a 2wd toyota, but the money I got is going towards a 4x toyota.  But I live only 2 miles from work.  Which is a good thing, but is also a bad thing for my motor! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2006, 02:01:31 PM »
sounds like you need a better job

Either that, or move back into my truck and save the 500 a month.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2006, 04:03:30 PM »
Except for the last 2 all my 4x4's were my DD's, and my next one will probably be a DD. The one thing I notice is when the truck was a DD I had a better feel for it offroad. I knew it better and felt better in it. Just an observation.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »
I agree with ya RS!  My old el camino, I would get her sideways all the time for fun!  And when the roads were icy I could go anywhere without chains or studs!  Because I knew my rig! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen