Author Topic: Flat towing  (Read 6672 times)

jafish

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Flat towing
« on: Aug 18, 2006, 04:41:26 PM »
I have a 85 Toyota that you can read about here ( http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26565.new#new ). I was wondering if it'd be ok to flat tow it from Kansas to Ohio (750 miles) as is. I know I need to remove the rear drive shaft and ensure that the hubs are in 2 wd. However, with 5.29's and Detroits, will it be ok? i.e. bad for the gears, lockers, steering, etc... I once saw a Toyota truck being flat towed down the road by a bus, and the driver didn't know that the Toy's steering was locked in the turned position, so the front tires were being drug down the road sideways. Luckily he had just turned out of a gas station and we got his attention quickly. Anyhow, I just don't want something like that to happen to me.
Josh

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Flat towing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »
i dont know exactly how you keep the steering wheel from locking, but other than that, it should be fine, the fluid in the diffs will be ok and without hte driveshaft nothing else will turn that needs to have oil lubrication

my steering wheel doesnt lock anymore, it used to, but it jsut doenst anymore?

might jsut leave it in the key on position...

youre probably going to need trailer lights, the magnetic kind or some sort, as im sure the cops will say somethign about it...
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2006, 04:49:01 PM »
you'll be fine, just leave the key on :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of unhooking the battery and leaving the key on.
Josh

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2006, 07:55:44 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of unhooking the battery and leaving the key on.
yea, im sure what the bus guy did  was turned the key off when he got something out of the truck at the station, 

just make sure the key is on  and the rear shaft is out and tow like a mad man

dirtoyboy  is in stlouis  maybe he will be back befor you do this, he just towed a guy from colorado to missouri  with his toy
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »
dirtoyboy  is in stlouis  maybe he will be back befor you do this, he just towed a guy from colorado to missouri  with his toy

Does he hire out? I doubt I could afford it even if he did.
Josh

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2006, 08:02:31 PM »
NO NO NO! never tow flat! NEVER!!

put air in the tires frist!  :think:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2006, 09:50:49 AM »
NO NO NO! never tow flat! NEVER!!

put air in the tires frist!  :think:

:rofl:

Pull the rear ds, what I did was to mark the the ds on both ends of the splines and only remove the rear 4 bolts and slide the ds out and leave the rest just hang, but you can only do this if you have the ds in the standard way where the yoke is to the tcase. You can also just tie it up, just make sure it is secure, sucks to get to your destination and find half of your ds missing. You don't really need to disconnect the battery just turn the key to the on position then turn it back to the acc position the steering wheel will not lock in that position. Of course the hubs should be unlocked and most importantly if you leave the front piece of the ds in you cannot drive it off the front axle, it will bang around. It will not hurt your locker either.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2006, 10:17:15 AM »
All good points of advise above. One thing I learned when I was flat towing, was that is alot of weight to pull with no brakes (3500lbs).  I towed to moab once with a 01 4runner and the truck pushed the 4 runner all over the road. When on a tow bar, you now have two points of articulation, one at the ball and the other at the front tires. So when the tow vehicle turns, there is a delay before the towed vehicle will start the turn. Normally this is not really an issue EXCEPT, if you are braking and turning at the same time. The towed vehicle will still be going straight while the tow vehicle is turning and depending on the weight of the tow vehicle, it can push your rearend around pretty easy. Flat towing with 4 runner = scary. Flat towing with F350 stroker = fun.
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2006, 07:14:54 AM »
I may actually be screwed now, my friend who was going to tow it for me with his 03 Super Duty diesel is trading it off for a car, and my backup just totaled his Silverado on the highway near Kansas City.
Josh

old school toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2006, 08:13:59 AM »
Why do you have to remove driveshaft???  Can't you put the transfer case in neutral and tow that way???
1988 4runner

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2006, 08:44:14 AM »
Why do you have to remove driveshaft???  Can't you put the transfer case in neutral and tow that way???
because it then spins the internals of the tcase, if you are goiing 10-20 miles NBD  but going 700  its far better to remove the shaft,  easy cheap insurance

Jafish,  you could tow it useing a dolly,  ive done this with my 79  towing a 86 4x4  didnt go but 40 miles but it can be done  and is easier than flat towing
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2006, 08:02:22 PM »
Jafish,  you could tow it useing a dolly,  ive done this with my 79  towing a 86 4x4  didnt go but 40 miles but it can be done  and is easier than flat towing

I could, but I'm still at the crossroads of having no tow vehicle.
Josh

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2006, 08:12:35 PM »

i towed an '83 (loaded with gear) from CO to MO (1000+ miles) on my 22re (on a uhaul dolly) so it can be done. and yes, this is my dd too. I wouldn't recommend towing that far unless it's absolutely necessary (we were stuck out there) She made it but I think she's still angry at me :slap: dont tell oldskool i posted this pic here either. i think he's still a little sensitive
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »
thats crazzy
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2006, 08:27:04 PM »
yup  :screwy:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2006, 09:22:36 AM »
All good points of advise above. One thing I learned when I was flat towing, was that is alot of weight to pull with no brakes (3500lbs).  I towed to moab once with a 01 4runner and the truck pushed the 4 runner all over the road. When on a tow bar, you now have two points of articulation, one at the ball and the other at the front tires. So when the tow vehicle turns, there is a delay before the towed vehicle will start the turn. Normally this is not really an issue EXCEPT, if you are braking and turning at the same time. The towed vehicle will still be going straight while the tow vehicle is turning and depending on the weight of the tow vehicle, it can push your rearend around pretty easy. Flat towing with 4 runner = scary. Flat towing with F350 stroker = fun.

I think it depends on the vehicle, I could tow my Willys and my Ranger with my 80 Toy and I could tow my 80 Toy and my Willys with my Ranger but it was very squirlly while my 80 Toy didn't budge.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2006, 11:17:25 AM »
If ya don't have access to a tow rig, just go to u-haul, get a truck and throw down some ramps load it up and drive away!  This is how I will probably do it when I get mine!  Everybody I know is getting rid of their big pickups!  I know a couple friends had their Harley's break down along the way back from Sturgis did this! 

Another trick is AAA!  I've know people to buy a rig, and have no way to get it home, but they have AAA, so they call the towing co.  :thumbs:

I'd always try to tow with a trailer or a dolly, never flat tow!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 21, 2006, 11:46:31 AM »
If ya don't have access to a tow rig, just go to u-haul, get a truck and throw down some ramps load it up and drive away!  This is how I will probably do it when I get mine!  Everybody I know is getting rid of their big pickups!  I know a couple friends had their Harley's break down along the way back from Sturgis did this! 

Another trick is AAA!  I've know people to buy a rig, and have no way to get it home, but they have AAA, so they call the towing co.  :thumbs:

I'd always try to tow with a trailer or a dolly, never flat tow!

I thought of this, I've actually seen pics of it done on the internet, but, how would you tie it down? I'd hate to have it bouncin' around in there.
Josh

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2006, 12:01:20 PM »
the only way in a van like that is pull it all the way till it bumps the front then somehow wedge the rear of all 4 tires,  but i really dont recommend this as you will be liable for damage to the van

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2006, 12:11:54 PM »
Rent the the straps that lock into the rails that goes down the sides of the truck!  And strap it down!  And let the air out of the tires that will act like wheel blocks.   If ya got the e-brake on, tires empty of air, and straped to the rails inside the truck, you should have no problems!  How fast do ya think ya can drive a u-haul truck?
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jafish [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 22, 2006, 06:01:40 AM »
Looked into it, it's still outside my price range, it'd be around 600-650. So, I'll keep tryin' to figure it out.
Josh

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 22, 2006, 07:34:06 AM »
The only bad things about flat towing is that you break something and need a trailer to get it home.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2006, 09:27:08 AM »
The only bad things about flat towing is that you break something and need a trailer to get it home.

I've always found the best cure for this problem is to not break your rig. :gap: