Author Topic: i know this sounds stupid  (Read 4051 times)

sof'indetermined

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
i know this sounds stupid
« on: Aug 11, 2006, 11:12:22 AM »
i just noticed that my 87 runner (22RE) does not have a tps. the p/o took it off and left it unplugged i asked him and he said he got the wrong one for it and never got the right one so he left it off and that it doesnt really matter anyways, are there any drawbacks to not having one? gas mileage or power or anything?? seems to run fine.
83 yota that wheels
04 wrx wagon that hauls butt
assorted crap that mostly doesnt do anything

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: i know this sounds stupid
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2006, 11:14:30 AM »
:eek:   thats weird
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2006, 11:16:16 AM »
um...someone lied to you....the truck should not run at all with out a throttle position sensor

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2006, 11:31:09 AM »
It will run just fine without a TPS , but your losing a lot of power and gas mileage. I just found that mine is bad on my '89.  I tried adjusting it and it didn't help so I unplugged it (just to see what it would do). It didn't change anything , it ran exactly like it does with it plugged in. But , like I said mine is bad. Better get your wallet out , a new one from autozone was $110 !!! I haven't put mine on yet but I know it will make a lot of difference. I have had tps trouble with other trucks and it makes a huge difference if it's working right.

So, to answer your question, YES you need to get a TPS. But, it WILL run without one , it just won't perform as good. Also make sure you adjust it right or it won't help much.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2006, 02:36:38 PM »
Not to hi-jack, but is there an easy way to tell if it's bad? That sounds like my truck, has absolutely no power. Might have to invest in one.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2006, 04:22:17 PM »
but your losing a lot of power and gas mileage.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 11, 2006, 04:45:55 PM »
Not to hi-jack, but is there an easy way to tell if it's bad? That sounds like my truck, has absolutely no power. Might have to invest in one.

you can test it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2006, 04:55:02 PM »

you can test it

Like at a parts store?

www.wheelingarizona.com

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2006, 04:58:52 PM »

Like at a parts store?
unplug it,  if it doesnt change  then yours is bad

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2006, 05:22:26 PM »
Duh, I'm not thinking right now. :hammerhead:

unplug it,  if it doesnt change  then yours is bad

www.wheelingarizona.com

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2006, 08:50:40 PM »
wow thanks for the help, i get pretty good gas mileage 15-20 mpg and power isnt noticibly less than other friends 22re equipped trucks. it hasnt been on there since i got it so i have no before and after to compare. i used to have a honda that with it unplugged would not run period so i imagine different makes are different. which would also explain why some of you think i was lied to but really i can see where it is supposed to bolt in and see the wire hanging there, well i will rob one off my buddys truck and run it and i will tell you all what i come up with.
83 yota that wheels

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2006, 04:42:00 PM »
:popcorn:

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2006, 11:44:21 AM »
Now tell me if you think this is tps problems. Sometimes mine truck will fire up and then stall when i start it for the first time in a couple hours. I have to give it some gas as it starts to keep from stalling it. When i get to higher alttitude like the rubicon its worse and the idle is really weak and stalls easily. Also my mpg is 13 on a new 22re with 36" iroks. Do i need a new one?
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2006, 04:29:43 PM »
Now tell me if you think this is tps problems. Sometimes mine truck will fire up and then stall when i start it for the first time in a couple hours. I have to give it some gas as it starts to keep from stalling it. When i get to higher alttitude like the rubicon its worse and the idle is really weak and stalls easily. Also my mpg is 13 on a new 22re with 36" iroks. Do i need a new one?

My truck was acting up like this a few days ago.  I had the idle set to factory 750, but it seemed so weak, like it wanted to stall all the time so I just turned up my idle to about 1000.  It has a much more confident idle, and makes it easier to drive.  Of course, turning up the idle speed may just be a band-aid for a bad TPS.  I gotta unplug mine and see if it makes a difference.  Perhaps you could try the same.
Welders Hold the World Together!

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2006, 04:46:31 PM »
Mine has the same problem, sorta.  Sometimes I have to give it gas when starting, then it wants to stall, have to feather the gas for a second then it's fine. But only when the engine is cold, after it's been running for a while it's fine.

I got mine running today and unhooked the TPS while it was running and only a slight difference was heard/felt. :dunno:

www.wheelingarizona.com

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2006, 11:12:06 AM »
mine does the same thing as yours tice with my tps unplugged still. i am getting ready to leave and go get one to put in and see if it makes a difference. thats the biggest problem i think i have related to the tps is it wanting to stall when i first start it up. my idle is at about 1000 rpm too. anyways ill find out later today if it makes a difference. :crossed:
83 yota that wheels

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »
ok so i put in a working tps out of another truck of the same year and model. it screwed up the idle. it did that thing where it surges bad and sitting in one place out of gear would not rev up past 2000 rpm. i tried to mess with the adjustment on it and no matter where it was it wouldnt run anywhere near right. i dont really know what to do ill probably just leave it off and continue to run without it. any ideas on what my problem is????
83 yota that wheels

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:04:18 PM »
no takers?? im really lost on this one. i dont know hardly anything about throttle position sensors but i know there is something else wrong here but i dont know what.
83 yota that wheels

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:13:55 PM »
someone  made some adjustments  somewhere, most likely to the mass air sensor  so it would run ok without one,  if it gets ok mileage and runs strong  dont fix what aint broke

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:38:46 PM »
sounds liek a combination of tps and maf sensors... a friend of mine thebeast8888 had a long issue with his truck acting like that, turned out that some harness of his maf somewhere was frayed and screwing up the signal, it ran, but barely and wouldnt run right, would die if you didnt give it gas

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »
Weldo and tice you guys have same problems i do. When its cold it dosent want to start so i have to give it some gas. Im pretty sure its a tps problem. I should go buy a new one and throw it in there and see how well it runs
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:58:40 PM »
Yeah thats the same kinda problem I have. Plus I have no power. I can barely get to 55 on a flat road!!! Granted my motor has 260,000 on it. Try a new one and let me know. I might try it if it works. Also, mine will stil run, bad, is I unplug the mas.

www.wheelingarizona.com

Bork

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Tuyutes ere-a fur Sveden!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:43:35 PM »
Zee oonly stoopeed qooesshun is zee oone-a thet is nut esked. Zee TPS Sensur is reqooured tu pruperly edjoost zee fooel und timeeng coorfe-a. Veethuoot it, zee cumpooter ooperetes in a clused luup mude-a.

Bork
Tuyutes ere-a reelly cuul. Tuu bed zeey ere-a nut frum Sveden

beater82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Mar '04
  • metheads suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:59:18 PM »
My wifes 4runner had a bad tps. We dyno'd it at my buddy's shop and had like 40 hp.
Do you have aFsm? When installing a new tps there is some adjustment involved if I remember right. To the other folks that are wondering if their's is bad or not, see if a code comes up, grab your fsm and an ohmmeter and follow the manual. If you don't have a "factory toyota service manual", spend the $100 and get one. I would have never figured it out if I did'nt have one. The truck went from doin' 30mph in 2nd gear with the hazards blinkin' and my wife cryin' behind the wheel on hills to pullin' them in 4th after the tps was replaced.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2006, 11:19:56 PM »
Bork is right, if the TPS (or oxygen sensor, or temp sensor, or the like) are removed, then the computer will be running in a limp mode, or a closed loop mode. It will not have the ability to predict throttle changes and follow it with the proper fuel and timing changes needed to counter the change in air flow and manifold pressure.

It will run alright, but thats like asking a chipmunk to act like a squirrel.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2006, 04:58:52 AM »
ok so i put in a working tps out of another truck of the same year and model. it screwed up the idle. it did that thing where it surges bad and sitting in one place out of gear would not rev up past 2000 rpm. i tried to mess with the adjustment on it and no matter where it was it wouldnt run anywhere near right. i dont really know what to do ill probably just leave it off and continue to run without it. any ideas on what my problem is????

You got a bad TPS. Fork out the cash and get a new one. If you got one that has been wet before it will act exactly like you described. Moisture will fry a TPS every time. Ask me how I know.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 17, 2006, 02:11:58 PM »
My problem is kinda funny.  Sometimes my engine will idle at around 1100 rpm.  Sometimes it'll be around 600.  Other times it'll start out at 1100 and slowly sink to 600.  This is all with the engine at operating temp.  When it's down at 600 it feels like it wants to stall and has a real rough idle, like you can see the motor rocking on the motor mounts.  I tested and adjusted my TPS with an ohmmeter and it should be OK.  Also when I unplugged the sensor at idle the engine speed did change a good bit, it went up.  My particular problem may be a timing issue.
Welders Hold the World Together!

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:17:31 PM »
ok the tps i put in was good. its in a truck of the same year and model and everything and the truck runs great much better then mine. i also have another brand new one that came with the truck still in the official toyota box because the p/o couldnt make it work. both of which no matter how adjusted makes the truck not run when installed. it surges bad and no matter what will not rev over 2000 rpm with either tps which once again both work and are for sure good. having it unplugged it runs fairly well which makes me think its related to that specific part but it doesnt make sense to me. maybe somewhere the wire harness is messed up?? looks ok to me. i assumed the tps that came with the truck was bad which is why i tried my friends. the only real reason im trying to figure this out is it doesnt make sense to me, its still my dd so it doesnt really matter as long as it runs but id like to figure it out but i do apreciate all the help so thanks (but im still lost)
83 yota that wheels

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 19, 2006, 12:15:44 PM »
check you maf and look for a screw by the outlet side on top, if you can see the screw then some one has removed the plug and messed with the air bleed, then check timing, and vac leaks.  oh and make sure there are no holes or tears in the tube from the maf to trotle body.