Author Topic: Steering Extension for 3 inch body lift for 80 pickup  (Read 3765 times)

Doc Holiday

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Steering Extension for 3 inch body lift for 80 pickup
« on: Jul 12, 2006, 04:13:46 AM »
Hi, i got a 80 yota pickup 4x4 with stock push pull steering, imready to install my performance acsessories 3 inch body lift, my question is, do i need to extend my steering shaft at all or do i not have to do anything, do i have to losen any bolts up before putting the 3 inch body lift in .
thanks for any help!

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile

dammit, i dont know what to do, anyone done a 3 inch lift before!!!
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2006, 03:16:15 AM by Doc Holiday »

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
yes you will need to extend the rod
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
I have that drop drag link that you'll need. It is only about a year old, with no rust. 100 bucks and it's on your doorstep. I have been looking to get this to somebody that needs it, as I am going with different steering....

Please let me know if interested.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
i thought you didnt need a drop drag link for a 3 inch body lift, i thought it just had to losen some bolts and the steering shaft will extend it self.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i thought you didnt need a drop drag link for a 3 inch body lift, i thought it just had to losen some bolts and the steering shaft will extend it self.

hmmm yet you fealt the need to start yet another thread instead of just asking the question on your build thread

Pete,   we might be able to work something out on that drag link
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
hmmm yet you fealt the need to start yet another thread instead of just asking the question on your build thread

Pete,   we might be able to work something out on that drag link

I needed that drop drag link on my yotee when I had a three-inch body lift.

Glen, we'll see what we can do if Mr. Holiday doesn't need it....
mrkupfer@gmail.com

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
Why on earth would you possibly need a drop drag link because of a 3" body lift? A body lift has absolutly no effect on the drag link. Yes you need to extend your steering shaft. There is a plastic sheer pin on the steering shaft that you can drill out and it will let it seperate. The firt gen trucks have a small, course splined slip yoke on the steering shaft instead of a rag joint. If you do not extend the shaft you will have very little spline engagement on this slip yoke. Very dangerous.

A drop drag link for a body lift? Thats hilarious.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
Why on earth would you possibly need a drop drag link because of a 3" body lift? A body lift has absolutly no effect on the drag link. Yes you need to extend your steering shaft. There is a plastic sheer pin on the steering shaft that you can drill out and it will let it seperate. The firt gen trucks have a small, course splined slip yoke on the steering shaft instead of a rag joint. If you do not extend the shaft you will have very little spline engagement on this slip yoke. Very dangerous.

A drop drag link for a body lift? Thats hilarious.

Hehe, you got a point there. I was thinking about the unnecessary lift application I had! You are so right...I am inserting my skull through the wall. HA!

I don't know what I was thinking. It helped me because of the huge lift, so actually, Mr. Holiday doesn't need that drop drag link after all!

I am officially a goob. Well, I know it helped with the bad angles of the extreme lift, but all my speaking privelages have currently been revoked!

mrkupfer@gmail.com