Author Topic: What caused this to happen to my header???  (Read 3902 times)

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
What caused this to happen to my header???
« on: Jul 07, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »

A couple of days ago I took a pretty big hit to the bottom of my Runner on a big rock. Shortly after It developed a nasty exhaust leak. My Cat had cracked prior to the trip and I thought it just opened up the crack more. Well after I got home I was looking around under my truck and saw this huge crack.
There was no apparent rock rash on the header so I don't think it took a direct hit. I'm wondering if something is either too tight and not allowing enough flex or are things too loose and causing too much movement.

I took them both off and rewelded them but I don't want it to happen again. Any suggestions on what might have caused it?

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: What caused this to happen to my header???
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:22:21 PM »
I had a Downey header on my last rig do the same thing.  My Thorley hasn't cracked yet, but it hasn't been hit, either.  I don't think it's the fault of the header, just the way things are.  You're bolted solid on one side, the other side flexes, any hit and the hangers are gonna try to take up the slack.  take a big hit, and the hangers hit the frame and the truck keeps moving; somethings gotta give.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:28:40 PM »
hmmmm...does ur exhaust follow the stock routing exactly?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:37:26 PM »
His or mine??

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:40:30 PM »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:41:50 PM »
ok: me, not exactly stock, but pretty close.  header, hiflow cat and 2 1/4". why?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:46:04 PM »
ok: me, not exactly stock, but pretty close.  header, hiflow cat and 2 1/4". why?
well, if it was lower or in a different position it could more easily take a hit on the trail. He did say he took a good hit on a rock  :think:  :cheese:
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2006, 09:56:17 PM »
for me, no, not lower.  I made sure of htat( a buddy ran my exhaust)

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2006, 10:42:11 PM »
the exhuast pretty much doenst have much play.... smacking it on imoveable objects usually somehting gives..... the rock is harder than exhuast tubing......

how not to do it again, dont smack it on rocks

i say run a sstraight header out the hood, no more problems ;)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2006, 10:44:55 PM »
That can happen from the header having to support any weight. When running the exhaust pipe, cat muffler and tail pipe make sure the header is not having to support any weight or over time it will crack.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2006, 11:20:04 PM »
That can happen from the header having to support any weight. When running the exhaust pipe, cat muffler and tail pipe make sure the header is not having to support any weight or over time it will crack.

:clap2:

That and make sure the hangers can flex with the movement of the engine when it torques up or put a flexable connector in between the header and the rest of the exhaust.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2006, 11:23:26 PM »

i say run a sstraight header out the hood, no more problems ;)
u mean like this?  :headscratch:  :laugh:
RIP KYOTA

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2006, 11:44:29 PM »
My NW Offroad header cracked also. I fabbed up a hanger to replace the stock one off the bellhousing to the exhaust. I attached it to the header. No more cracks in the header, just in the muffler now. It seems to be from engine movement. I have broken a couple motor mounts through the years also. The engine will really move around when I give it gas when I am in low/low.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:42:08 AM »
Here is how it is ran. Nothing on my exahust sits below the frame. There was no signs of rock rash or dents anywhere on the header or pipe. I only have one hanger after the muffler. It seems to be just the right amount of flexability but maybe not. Something else I was thinking about is that I have poly motor mounts which provide all the vibration anyone would ever need. I want to go back to stock mounts but they want a hundred bucks a piece for them.

Oh yeah, anyone recognize the brand of header that is? It came with my truck along with the poly mounts.

The ugly straight pipe is gone and now it just dumps right after the muffler with the hanger in the same place.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2006, 06:40:06 AM »
Adding one of these between the cat and header would help the exhaust flex more...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D642210&N=115&autoview=sku
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2006, 06:42:56 AM »
The plate you have here for protection is really hampering the ability of the system to move when the engine flexes on the mount or the frame flexes during articulation, might wanna try and loosen it up a bit?

edit: The way yours cracked, I would bet that this section failed to let the system move and it was engine movement (torqueing) that actually caused the crack.  The flex joint between the cat and header would solve this problem.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2006, 06:44:40 AM »
you need to un weld it at the end of the header  befor the cat,  i use a extended slip joint, plenty tight with minimal leak,  but allows the engine flex  and keeps the pipe from causing twisting force on the header
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2006, 10:13:35 AM »
you need to un weld it at the end of the header  befor the cat,  i use a extended slip joint, plenty tight with minimal leak,  but allows the engine flex  and keeps the pipe from causing twisting force on the header

:yupyup: I had mine just clamped at the header too, then into the exhaust pipe. Had to adjust several times after runs here and there from it sliding a little under torque.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
Factory down tube had a clamp at the bellhousing to stabilize the header.  Do you still have this?  If not, try it.
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

4xtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2006, 04:53:59 PM »
The plate you have here for protection is really hampering the ability of the system to move when the engine flexes on the mount or the frame flexes during articulation, might wanna try and loosen it up a bit?

edit: The way yours cracked, I would bet that this section failed to let the system move and it was engine movement (torqueing) that actually caused the crack.  The flex joint between the cat and header would solve this problem.

Acctually it has 3/4" of clearance on every side of it. The plate is only there for structure rigidity since I cut out a huge chunk of a primary cross member.

The header has a ball flange that I guess I could loosen a bit. I like the idea of the flex joint though.

Factory down tube had a clamp at the bellhousing to stabilize the header.  Do you still have this?  If not, try it.

Don't have it. How would it adapt to an aftermarket header.

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2006, 06:09:43 PM »
A large heavy hose clamp would work. I made a strap to attach it to the mount I made,
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes