Author Topic: anyone swap a 2nd gen pickup cab on a 3rd gen frame?  (Read 4787 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
anyone swap a 2nd gen pickup cab on a 3rd gen frame?
« on: Jul 07, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »
I can get an 87 x-cab pickup for a wicked price and was thinking on swapping that cab on to my 91 frame. I just SAS'd my 91 so i want to keep that frame but i'm kinda sick of the no room that my single cab allows hence swapping the 87 x-cab over.

I know it's going to take some fitting but i'd like to know if i'll have to make all new mounts or what?
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
I see that this is very very old, but I have to ask if anyone has ever done this?? Looking at doing a 85 xtra cab frame for my 92 extra cab.  bed mounts are not needed...
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
the front two body mounts will work possibly the second set as well the third set most likely won't. Are you putting it onto the frame of the truck in your avatar? because the 2nd gen extra cabs are much smaller so the front body mount to the rear i believe is a further distance on the 3rd gen frame, dont quote me on that though.
89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
I'm 95% sure it will not just bolt on and go. You will probably have to lower it down on the frame and cut off the old mounts and make new ones. If your good at fabbing and sas'd your own truck then it shouldnt be that hard. I'd say its probably a weekend project. then wiring and all that stuff which shouldnt be that hard.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
the front two body mounts will work possibly the second set as well the third set most likely won't. Are you putting it onto the frame of the truck in your avatar? because the 2nd gen extra cabs are much smaller so the front body mount to the rear i believe is a further distance on the 3rd gen frame, dont quote me on that though.

Yes it is the truck in my avatar.  And I know for a fact that the rear cab mounts won't work like you said.  I was hoping that the front 4 would line up, and I would only have to fab the 2 rear  most mounts.

I'm 95% sure it will not just bolt on and go. You will probably have to lower it down on the frame and cut off the old mounts and make new ones. If your good at fabbing and sas'd your own truck then it shouldnt be that hard. I'd say its probably a weekend project. then wiring and all that stuff which shouldnt be that hard.

I didn't think about vertical alignment...  Another thing that is stuck in my head is the mounting for the V-6 engine... The SA frame has a much larger arc at the front axle than the IFS frame.  This is an obvious reason that this frame is more desirable for a crawler, but I think it may arc up too much for the mounting of the V-6 motor.    However, I found a good frame yesterday, and I am determined to get my running gear and cab mounted to it!  I don't like the 125" wheel base, and I have FUBARed the front of my frame!
PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?