Author Topic: Build up a nice truck or start with a "beater"???  (Read 8216 times)

MadBadger

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Build up a nice truck or start with a "beater"???
« on: Dec 27, 2003, 10:11:30 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for some feedback on what I should do with my '91 Toyota. It's in really good shape, really nice interior, A/C, straight body with only some superficial scratches, no rust, almost new engine, 31" tires, and basically stock condition except gears and a locker. A friend of mine put in 4.88 Yukon gears and a Detroit locker. My dilemma is this: Should I keep working on this truck and do the things I want to do (SAS, custom built bumpers, bobbed bed, some "body armor", dual case setup, etc. etc.); OR should I get another older Toyota pickup that already has a solid front axle and start on it.

The problem with building up the '91 Toyota into a "real" off road vehicle is that it is still such a nice truck, I'd really hate to "mess it up" as will almost certainly happen. If I got an older truck in worse shape, I wouldn't cringe as much at the thought of cutting the bed off, welding/bolting armor to it, or denting and scratching it in the mountains. Plus, I figure with the cost of doing a SAS, I could almost buy an old beat up Toyota pickup with a solid front axle.

My biggest problem is that I already have the '91 and I don't want to sell it because it's such a nice truck; on the same token, I don't want to "mess it up" with modifications or from trail damage. Like a dumb***, I sold the '79 Toyota pickup I had to help buy the '91 (I wanted A/C and power steering since it was a daily driver in the Central Valley).

Either way, I'm going to have a while to think about it, I'm just doing things one step at a time as I have the time and money to work on it. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
theres no such thing as too nice to play with.  If I could afford it Id go buy a H2 and destroy that thing just to make people wonder why!  First thing Id do with your truck is dent it, the first one is always the hardest.  Im not saying rub it down a gaurdrail at 70 but give the truck some character.  My truck has always been my DD and a total beater, but things change and Im actually gonna paint it! (not krylon this time :yupyup:) Id vote for building it like you would a trail rig but just dont be so mean like you would a trail rig.  I think youll be money ahead (dont have to buy another rig) and much happier in the long run (a/c)
have fun and report what you end up doing.  
Good luck
WT
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
IMO you should get an older toy you will have more fun when you dont care if you slide your bed side on a rock or need to pivot on a tree with your cab :biggthumpup: Well thats just me 8) Most at least try to presurve the body :smack:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i cant beleive im going to say this :disturbed:but i have to agree with red, :yipes: :smack: :help:get a 79-85 or maybe even a LC and enjoy the rocks and trees as they should be :hammer: a rock isnt loved unless its rubbed :driving: :driving:and you can build your old beater into a more or less buggy and drag it to the trail head behind your 91,  dont worry about a trailer just put a towbar on the front :driving:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
You should buy my 85 with the recently rebuilt engine for $1000.  It would be a perfect starting point for you.
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

MadBadger [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
This is the problem, a whole truck for less than a SAS would be!!!!!!!! My dilemma deepens..... (95 Taco Truck I'll email you)

Dirt Mover

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 186
  • Male Posts: 355
  • Member since Sep '03
  • Chrome won't get you home
    • View Profile
Build the 91. I see alot of people build beaters and smash them thinking it's cool then they burn out on wheelin and you never see them again. I'm more impressed with a rig in decent condition hitting the hard trails. For off road only, ditch the sheetmetal. The buggies that are coming out look like the answer. My .02

Joe J

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You're new but not that new. :thumbs:  Build the '91.  You see a lot of new vehicles (2000/2002) that are "built" and "used" on the trails.  The combo of A/C, aux trans/oil coolers, lockers, dual transfer case and armor is hard to beat on a sunny afternoon in June around Florence Junction, AR or Moab.  Taking a bad line or just plain bad luck is what normally adds "character" to your ride.  Avoiding those two "characters", all your '91 should experience on the vast majority of trails is some pinstripping and "soft" dings. :hahaha:  

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I can't belive that Glen agrees with red???
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I can't belive that Glen agrees with red???

:smack:i know, :yipes:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Build the 91. I've never had a beater and don't. I've built a few nice trucks.All were nice but they did get a few small dings. It happens, even if you try really hard, driveing you truck though a rock garden your going to risk it. Even with armor it can happen but If you take your time and have respect for you personal property( truck ) and the land you'll probably get by with a lot less then others( that comes from whatching some beat the crap out of there truck and others walk right through the same spot dent free). I have a 90 SB now. I like the newer truck style myself, inside and out.  Since your local you may know "Steve" with the  white 1990 SB, bobbed bed and snug top, SAS, as clean as stock toy in 1990. I was just on a snow run with him today, nice truck. He takes it every where, Rubicon, Sledge and Jack Hammer, Dusy. It only has a small dent from the body armor flexing into the truck, he knows how to drive.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2004, 06:21:31 PM by CruzrDave »
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

MadBadger [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You all bring up good points, I guess I'm leaning towards building up the '91 now, Joe J is right, it's new but not that new, and it's nice but not too nice. I think as long as I learn how to drive it well enough as I get it build up, it should not get too dinged.

I think it would be really cool to have a "built up" truck that still looks sharp, plus even if I had a "beater" type truck, I still would be careful with it just because I don't see any use in needlessly damaging things I work hard for.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input and advice.

Maybe someday I'll win the lottery and then I'll build a single purpose buggy solely for off road use....

98runner chevota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 361
  • Member since Dec '02
  • PoP pOp Fizz fIZZ oh it must be a BIRF. It is!!
    • View Profile
    • PortlandBusinessGraphics.com
 :driving: :driving:For what it is going to cost to just do the SAS you could have a good trail rig used. What happens if you dont like running trails anymore you will have a trail rig that is your daily driver. But if you have a dedicated trail rig you can just sell it and drive your 91 all over the place still. There are many rigs out there on this board that are less then 5000.00  :beerchug:and are great trail rigs you cant build your truck for that.
I have my truck and my tow rig witch is my daily driver also and it is nice knowing that when you get off the trail you dont have to drive the broken truck home or get it towed home. The Con is a long way for AAA. Think about it if you are new to the wheeling game ride with some people befor getting into the build of your 91 also take into consideration that the truck will be down (INOP) for atleast 2 weeks or longer depending on who does that work. So many things to think about and so much money you can save or spend if thought out :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2004, 09:46:16 AM by xxx 85 toy »
1998 4runner with 4.3 liter Chevy vortex/ turbo 400/ 205 tcase/ hi pinion 44 up front with 4.88 arbs front and rear/ rear is a turbo with 4.88s/ 63" Chevy's in rear with 5 in Chevy's in front/

98runner chevota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Now on the same note. Your 91 needs the SAS plus axle 2500.00 gears and lockers 2000.00-2500.00 wheels and tires 35-37" beadlocks 2000.00-3000.00 and that is just to get it on the trail. You can get a whole truck that has all of that and maybe more for less..
I love the idea that when im done for the day i can put it onto the trailer and drive home knowing that the truck isnt going to fall apart from the day or two of wheeling.
Mark
1998 4runner with 4.3 liter Chevy vortex/ turbo 400/ 205 tcase/ hi pinion 44 up front with 4.88 arbs front and rear/ rear is a turbo with 4.88s/ 63" Chevy's in rear with 5 in Chevy's in front/

98runner chevota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=18;action=display;threadid=1950
This is a buds truck in the bay area it is a very nice truck and done well. If you like the body of your 91 you will love this one.
I hope the info that has been posted help you out.   :smack: :slap: :beer: :beerchug:
Mark :driving:
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2004, 09:55:27 AM by xxx 85 toy »

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Doing a SAS is almost same price as a truck that already has a stright axle. If your serious about building a 79-85 your going to need- Hysteer, gears, locker, vented rotors, shocks, stronger axles, etc... Its the same for a 86-95. Only difference is you need a complete front axle to start with and a little more labor. If you don't do the labor yourself and do it all at once then its $$$$. If you gather parts little by little its easyer to do the swap in a short time. Its still cheaper to buy a built rig for 5K( if it has the goods) then buying a stock truck for 5K and dumping 5K in the front/rear axles, t-cases, etc..
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
I agree..Build it..Build armor too and just wheel it..Just don't let it look like my 2000 taco.. :smack:
All that happened with just one sort of hard flop. :slap: :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2004, 04:03:52 AM by mr4x42u »
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

MadBadger [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Man, that's too bad about your Tacoma. I know accidents can happen, I figure I'll just be as careful as I can with it and see how it goes. I figure I'm taking a chance of getting it wrecked every time I drive in town anyway.

I am planning to get all the parts gathered up little by little, so when my buddy and I start the work we'll (maybe) have everything there. I am planning on doing the SAS before anything else, my buddy said plan on about $1200 for everything, I know it'll probably end up being more than that.

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
Although I am getting rid of my 85, it has been nice knowing I can go wheeling in it and beat the hell out of it ( not that I have) but if I wanted to, and then come home and have my nice tacoma  to drive around.   Must be nice to have the kind of cash to go smash up a '00 Tacoma.   :dunno: :dunno: :twocents:
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2004, 10:33:49 AM by 95TacoTruck »
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
It sounds to me like you need to figure out what kind of wheeler you are or what kind of wheelin you want to do.  If you are just looking to get out on the trail and get up there in it, Then build the 91. You will be up there and out in it in class and comfort.  Now on the other hand if you looking to got up there and wind it up tell the vavles float and dump the clutch than build something older or looking to run the sluice box. You just got to decide what exactly your looking to do in your wheeler on the trail.
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
Man, that's too bad about your Tacoma. I know accidents can happen, I figure I'll just be as careful as I can with it and see how it goes. I figure I'm taking a chance of getting it wrecked every time I drive in town anyway.

I am planning to get all the parts gathered up little by little, so when my buddy and I start the work we'll (maybe) have everything there. I am planning on doing the SAS before anything else, my buddy said plan on about $1200 for everything, I know it'll probably end up being more than that.

No big deal..My feelings wernt hurt and thats what its for..Hell as long as its fun who cares what happens to it..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Preach It
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Waterman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jul '02
  • Marlin Toybox for SM-465 #001
    • View Profile
It all depends on what you want to do with the rig and how you view wheeling.  If your one of the "drink bud and thrash on your rig crowd", buy a beater as thats what your 91 will become.  If you wheel with a clear head and a light right foot, build the 91.  The advantages of a nice rig are many....as you stated, AC etc.  The cops also seem to ignore the nicer rigs and mess with the ones that are questionable street rigs.  I've had my 40 for 17 years and it still looks respectable...it has done the Rubicon too many times to count, Moab, Duzey, Barrett etc and is definately not a beater.  It does have a few character marks from places like Golden Spike and Pritchert Canyon in Moab, and Little Sluice on the Con, but still looks good when she's all washed up.  I only run 35's (weren't those big tires not too long ago?) but have the gearing (140:1 thanks Marlin) to be able to Crawl things like Little Sluice and Pritchett Canyon without destroying the rig.  Most of the major damage I have seen to rigs has been from one or a combination of three things.....Drinking, heavy right foot, or not paying attention.  I've rarely gotten a ding in a nasty section, most have come from relatively easy sections when I wasn't paying enough attention.  :pokinit: Happens.  My view would be to build the 91, enjoy the comforts that it provides, and don't be afraid of the hard stuff, just know your vehicle and drive it sanely...and enjoy......They say "chicks love body damage"....I've seen more "chicks" checking out really nice rigs than I have checking out the local beater...another plus for building a nice rig?  Enough rambling....regardless of what you decide, enjoy, have fun, and keep the rubber side down....Bob