Author Topic: GAS PRICES  (Read 23389 times)

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: GAS PRICES
« Reply #30 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:46:11 AM »
And now they are higher too. they were closer to $4-5/gall. until recently, so it's not just us.
They don't have an oil baron president, what's their excuse?
Sorry Glen, but I think it's too easy an answer to point finger and blame the prez, I'd look more at both alternative fuels, and bringing oil production home instead of relying on people that dislike us.
But we know what the tree huggers will have to say about that :slap:
:blah: :blah: :blah:  :tantrum:   BUSH BUSH BUSH  if Bush isnt to blame  how come during the past 6 years gas had doubled here,  when in europe  its only increased 20%

:tantrum:  im tellin ya  when that :lipsrsealed: gets out of office 

ok im offrant  :thud:   europe  doesnt even compare to us  because  they  have different taxes and their  economy isnt as dependant on oil as we are,  and thats our problem 

i guess what im getting at is  i find it hard to pay $3/gallon  when the oil company's  are :woohoo:  look at our record breaking profits :woohoo:

:kickbutt:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:50:53 AM »
:smooch:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:55:12 AM »
You got to stop watching those left wing commie pinko news stations, the media loves nothing more then to find another reason to jump all over the republicans case. Unbiased media MY :moon:   :slap:

How does Bush contributing to the rise in gas prices help his party? that doesn't make any sense.
And BTW, it is not BUSH in and of himself, that makes up what goes on in the White House. The president is a figurehead, and has many facets of administration.
If anything they would know that if they want the republican party to stay in power during the next election, or any current elections they would not PURPOSEFULLY be raising gas prices. :slap: They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot like that.

I don't have the right arguments for this debate. Wait till Abnormaltoy gets in here to explain things.
We already had this discussion on another thread just a week or two ago.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »
and FYI:

Blame this on Bush too while you are at it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4672716.stm

Shell reports record UK profits 

Soaring crude prices are boosting oil companies' profits
Soaring oil prices in 2005 have helped Royal Dutch Shell report a record annual profit for a UK-listed company

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 26, 2006, 11:01:32 AM »
:dunno:  monkey see monkey do :dunno:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 26, 2006, 11:05:54 AM »
  i find it hard to pay $3/gallon  when the oil company's  are :woohoo:  look at our record breaking profits :woohoo:

:werd:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 26, 2006, 11:08:14 AM »
:dunno:  monkey see monkey do :dunno:

:headscratch:  :screwy:  That doesn't make any sense, and is not a debate to my argument.
They would not shoot themselves in the foot.

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 26, 2006, 11:10:23 AM »
OK I am going to stay out of this thread for a while till my blood starts boiling, I am SICK of this blame game!!
Maybe WE should be the ones trying to do something to CONSERVE fuel rather then just not wanting to have to pay $3/gall to fill up our 12-15mpg SUV's and Trucks.

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 26, 2006, 11:14:46 AM »
can i shoot them :dunno:

i know  the pres  isnt the one that sets  fuel prices  but  his "buddies"   know they can get away with murder,  CHENEY

and set prices to whatever they want

when i first got this computer 7 years ago  i had aol,  and talked with some brits  all the time,  I  was griping about $1.50 a gallon  and they told me theres was like $4 a gallon

so  our gas has doubled, to $3/gallon  theres has gone from $4/gallon to $5-6 /gallon

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 26, 2006, 02:39:08 PM »
Its not bush's fault, its the simpleness of Supply and demand.  Keep in mind, both india and china are in the middle of an explding industrialization.  These two nations alone make up roughly half(?) of  the worlds population. Guess what?  they need oil to power the industrialization :yupyup:  Same reason steel has gone through the roof.

2nd, Europe is a lot closer to the middle east than the US, so shipping costs don't amount to near as much. 

Of course the oil companies are reporting record profits, they're product is in huge demand, so the price goes up.  Just like toecutter said, his stocks are through the roof. 

We really can't do much about gas prices other than stop using gas, thus decreasing the demand.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 26, 2006, 02:57:57 PM »
 :psss: and amongst that supply and demand are over an estimated 12 million illegals resididing in our country also sucking down our fuel in their beaters.  :slap:

Where is the Mammoth?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #41 on: Apr 26, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »
or if u have a diesel make ur own fuel :thumbs:
but for must of us who have gas vehicles there are a few things u can do:
1. group your errands together, will save alot of fuel and miles on your vehicle
2. upgrade your exhaust and air intake on your vehicle. my 94 suburban is getting 17mpg city currently, and i havent even started on mods (my friend is getting 23 city in his 91 with a 350 and a 6inch lift)
3. buy something more fuel efficient, such as a motorcycle. or u could convert your dirtbike to a dirt/street bike with certain kits that contain turn signals, brake light. then u would need to file for a title (much easier in some states and impossible in others)
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #42 on: Apr 26, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
:psss: and amongst that supply and demand are over an estimated 12 million illegals resididing in our country also sucking down our fuel in their beaters.  :slap:

couldn't agree more. most of the hispanics in my area (many are illegals) drive 1 ton trucks, lift them about 12-20 inches, run the biggest and fattest tires they can find, and try to drag race down the streets ALL THE TIME!!!

USAF EOD tech

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Apr 26, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
or if u have a diesel make ur own fuel :thumbs:

:yesnod:  and biodiesel, although more costly right now, is available at some truck stops.

Where is the Mammoth?

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 26, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »
If you want to really stick it to them.....STOP BUYING GAS!

I was joking, but I really dont care about gas prices and my truck gets 10 miles per gallon.  It's crappy that they're high but it's a business and I understand in the capitalist system they will charge as they want.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 26, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »
and it's not the presidents fault.   :tantrum:

Where is the Mammoth?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #46 on: Apr 26, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
Chevron on Capitol in San Jose..........................$3.45

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #47 on: Apr 26, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »
and it's not the presidents fault.   :tantrum:
i'd agree with that. HOWEVER, :hehe: he keeps on overlooking our most obvious fuel alternative for diesels (ie, biodiesel) and trying to have more research done to find other fuels. nothing wrong with that, but if we have a clean, reusable fuel that is made here in the US and has a positive energy output (read the biodiesel thread), Y NOT MASS PRODUCE!?!?!? plus, its very cheap, and our dependance will not be as large on the countries that hate us.

for gasoline engines i know that ethanol works, but for mass production we cannot sustain both ethanol and biodiesel mass production, even if we stop all food shipments to other countries and allow our farmers to produce the maximum amount of food. hydrogen is powerful, but would be very bad in a wreck (a ten car pileup today wiped out downtown los angeles).

so for now, increase your gas mileage or swap to a diesel.

USAF EOD tech

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:08:25 PM »
i'd agree with that. HOWEVER, :hehe: he keeps on overlooking our most obvious fuel alternative for diesels (ie, biodiesel) and trying to have more research done to find other fuels. nothing wrong with that, but if we have a clean, reusable fuel that is made here in the US and has a positive energy output (read the biodiesel thread), Y NOT MASS PRODUCE!?!?!? plus, its very cheap, and our dependance will not be as large on the countries that hate us.

for gasoline engines i know that ethanol works, but for mass production we cannot sustain both ethanol and biodiesel mass production, even if we stop all food shipments to other countries and allow our farmers to produce the maximum amount of food. hydrogen is powerful, but would be very bad in a wreck (a ten car pileup today wiped out downtown los angeles).

so for now, increase your gas mileage or swap to a diesel.

Red, this is a great idea, except that if biodiesel became mass produced, the price would go up on it, AND, it would be harder for the home brewers to make their own, because instead of giving it to the little guy, McD's and the chinese place down the street could SELL it to the mass producers.  Also, who is going to produce it?  Easy answer would be the ig oil companies, but why?  biodiesel doesn't have to use diesel fuel, so they wouldn't need to have a hand in it.

Lastly, for some reason diesel is not used in anything besides trucks in the US (for the most part)  our first step should be mas producing the cars and such that use deisel motors.  The pres focuses on the other fuels because they're deemed feasible in an economy car.  No one has gotten the idea yet that a diesel vw rabbit gets some kickass mileage, and can run the biodiesel :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #49 on: Apr 27, 2006, 08:17:23 PM »
at the sema show or whatever its called in detroit alot of companies (such as mercedes, toyota, jeep, and nissan) all have plans to offer diesel engines in midsized trucks and suv's. mercedes has also stated that they are seriously looking into bringing their diesel cars back to the US. volkswagon is already doing it like u said bd, and with other companies planning to expand their diesel market, i think we might finally be on the verge of a major growth in diesels.

mercedes also has an interesting idea on emmissions as well for a diesel, with no power loss (as they claim, but it sounds correct). there will be a second tank of some chemical that when mixed with the exhaust gasses becomes ammonia. in turn, the ammonia will convert the NOx gasses into nitrogen and water, reducing emmisions by 80%. (as claimed)
combine that with biodiesel, even fewer emmisions. then add an electric hybrid motor to that to improve gas mileage even more.

USAF EOD tech

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:23:13 AM »
Personally, I don't have a problem with the oil compaines making a profit. I think it is important that they do in order to stay in buisness. What I do have a problem with is when they are making a HUGE profit (in the 10's of BILLION's) while people are having to decide on eating versus filling their tank.

I also understand the prinicpals of supply and demand, which I do think affects prices of oil somewhat, but something just smells funny about all of this. They knew they could get away with >$3 per gallon last year due to the hurricanes...good excuse. Now they are doing it without any excuses, 'cause they know we'll pregnant dog about it, but will keep on buying regardless the price.

The only problem I see with the tax that one senator is planning, is that the only group that will benefit from it is the government, who already take too damn much of my money.

OK, I'm done ranting.

Cheers
Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Apr 28, 2006, 06:04:49 AM »
and it does not appear that there is any competition amongst the oil companies. If there were some would be offering their fuel at much lower prices to garner the appreciation of the citizens.
It's a buncha BS for sure, but until WE do something about it by conserving, they know they got us by the short and curlies.

Where is the Mammoth?

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Apr 28, 2006, 03:34:15 PM »
I just talked to a gas station owner today and he told me that HIS price is going up again this week over $.10 more.  Our price just went up $.15 last week and so after this weekend we will have had a $.25 increase in less than a week.  THAT SUCKS

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #53 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:21:49 PM »
Just made it to $2.99, here in Renton, WA.  I am definatley getting a street bike this summer, these prices are stupid.  I am also contempalting on buying som 35" all terrains on alluminum wheels just for daily driving.  They would last alot longer and be a whole lot less rolling resistance compared to my 35" bogglers.  I'm a broke hoe.   :rivers:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:25:54 PM »
Just something to think about.   People constantly pregnant dog about the price of gas, but when it really boils down to it, what are you paying for?  Yeah, everyone knows about all the taxes and stuff, and the oil company profits, etc.  But have you ever really thought about how much you spend to drive?

Ex. 
a car with a 10 gallon tank, that gets 300 miles on a tank of gas.  Say you pay $3 a gallon to fill it up, cost is $30.  You are only paying 10 cents a mile.  Not too shabby when you really think about it.  My truck has a 17.2 gallon tank, and at 2.50  I could put 17 gallons in for 42.50  Now fas is $3 a gallon, it now takes me $51 to fill up the same tank.  Granted, I really would rather spend the $8.50 on a movie ticket, but I'm not starving. 

Also, I have ZERO sympathy for those people that pregnant dog and moan about gas while they fill up their brand new escalade with premium gas.  They're the ones who chose to have to buy the expensive stuff, they're the ones who choose to drive the big SUVs. 

Yeah, gas prices suck. Yeah, I wish they were lower.  Do I necessarily agree that the Exxon(?) guy shoulb be getting a $400 million dollar retirment package?  no.  Do I necessarily agree that the oil companies should be raking billions of $$ in profit, doesn't seem fair, but we are a capitalist nation :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #55 on: Apr 28, 2006, 08:20:45 PM »
most common people don't need to pregnant dog about gas prices as much, (expecially soccer moms in their escalades or H2's), but people like me, delivery drivers, and people who are required to drive alot because of their job have every right to pregnant dog. when gas was 2.50 a gallon i was spending an average of 130-150 bucks a week on gas, getting 21mpg. now in my suburban (start my new job tomoro at sears automotive) i spend over 200 bucks last week alone on gas, and i'm getting 17mpg.

USAF EOD tech

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Apr 28, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »
well bd I dissagree some.  you didn't mention however that everthing that we buy goes up because of that increase in gas.  We expect to go down to the grocery store and buy something that normally only costed us say $2.00 then next time we're down there its $2.50.  If you think about it everthing starts to go up because it takes oil to transport it.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Apr 29, 2006, 12:12:26 AM »
well bd I dissagree some.  you didn't mention however that everthing that we buy goes up because of that increase in gas.  We expect to go down to the grocery store and buy something that normally only costed us say $2.00 then next time we're down there its $2.50.  If you think about it everthing starts to go up because it takes oil to transport it.

this can be true, but I haven't seen it yet :dunno:  at least not to a large amount.  Oil is a large part of our economy, but it seems like oftentimes, the only place the prices really get raised are at the pump :dunno:  I talked with a guy from the Sacramento corporate yard the other day, he said that their bulk gas and diesel prices (to fill up the city vehicles) hasn't gone up much at all :dunno:  I have yet to see groceries go up in price because of gas going up in price, at least in the stores I go to.  Something to think about is the cost of the extra gas, and how much more the company would have to charge for the product.  I mean, we can be looking at a matter of cents here per item, so instead of paying 2.50 for a gallon of milk, we wouldn't pay three, we'd pay 2.54, mabye 2.60

most common people don't need to pregnant dog about gas prices as much, (expecially soccer moms in their escalades or H2's), but people like me, delivery drivers, and people who are required to drive alot because of their job have every right to pregnant dog. when gas was 2.50 a gallon i was spending an average of 130-150 bucks a week on gas, getting 21mpg. now in my suburban (start my new job tomoro at sears automotive) i spend over 200 bucks last week alone on gas, and i'm getting 17mpg.

Red, do you get paid for mileage? if so what do you get?  I'm sure its not even close to what I would get if I drove my own truck for work (something like .43 a mile) since I'm in Ca, but what do they pay out there? 
even in this case I don't necessarily sympathize, you don't have to drive a suburban that gets 17mpg, and you don't have to work in a position that requires you to drive.  People choose their lot in life, it ins't arbitrary selection.  I'm not criticizing you for your job by any means, I wouldn't be happy (I'm not happy) with the gas prices the way they are.

:beerchug:

Why aren't you doing the biodiesel thing anymore?

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Apr 29, 2006, 11:05:17 AM »

Excellent point!  I've said this since gas first started going up in price a few years ago, and it has rung true.  I've noticed many things go up in price right along with gas prices.  Example: I buy the same type of bread, have for years.  Back when gas prices used to fluctuate, but always stayed right around the same level, it was always $1.28.  As soon as gas prices began rising to the (then) ridiculous price of $1.50 a gallon it went up 10 cents, and with each rise in gas prices it has gone up to nearly $2.  Yes, it's something small to COMPLAIN about, but this applies to nearly every service/good we purchase.  I understand inflation, but normal inflation rates are compounded by ever rising oil prices.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Apr 29, 2006, 11:40:08 AM »
What I don't get is that the oil co. are complaining about the outdated equipment they have, the price of oil per barrel, and the oil derricks that have to be repaired and or replaced.  And yet they still are raking in record profits.  And they say they aren't price gouging the public, but the very second the government says that they are going to check into tax returns of all oil companies and all their top exec's or checking into price gouging, the gas prices drop IMMEDIATELY!!  I saw on the news yesterday about some investigating into tax returns and gas prices dropped $0.10 a gallon in the hour!  Coincidence!   :headscratch: 

Instead of everybody trying to boycott certain gas stations or days to buy gas, just buy less!  Don't go to the store everyday, do it once a week.  If you can bike to work, do it!  Instead of driving to the corner market, walk!  I try to plan my trips anymore instead of just hopping in to my rig and running to town whenever we need something.  When I get my toyota, I don't want a v6.  I want a 4cyl!  There are alot of small ways we can do to help lower gas prices, even if it's the amount of money we spend out of our pockets. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen