Author Topic: probably pilot or throwout?  (Read 6276 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: probably pilot or throwout?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 20, 2006, 07:38:07 PM »
I have a spare trans laying around where you from blackdog?
CA.  Thanks anyway though :thumbs:

If you move the clutch fork closer to the slave and the noise goes away, it is the release bearing. Like Bubba said it may be locked up and dragging on the pressure plate. By moving the fork it stops touching and stops making the noise.

This means that the noise at least is not the trans.

Get the throw out bearing changed quick before it wares out the pressure plate fingers.

I honestly don't remember, but I thought it happened when I pushed the fork away from the slave, like when the slave pushes on it?  and the sound went away.  I actually just went out to the parking lot, and started it up, and it didn't make the sound :smack: didn't drive it around, but it made the sound from startup yesterday :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #31 on: Apr 21, 2006, 09:18:17 AM »
Are you pulling your t-case soon for the doubler? You might as well pull the tranny at the same time. You won't know 100% until you do pull it and take a look. My :twocents:.
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 21, 2006, 01:57:49 PM »
Are you pulling your t-case soon for the doubler? You might as well pull the tranny at the same time. You won't know 100% until you do pull it and take a look. My :twocents:.
I wasn't going to pull it for a few more weeks, I've got some firefighter testing on May 9-10, but because of this, I may go ahead and pull everything before hand, and measure everything up for my driveshafts :dunno:  may as well.  I don't want my truck crapping out on me in the middle of a 1000 mile round trip drive

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #33 on: Apr 21, 2006, 03:13:09 PM »
Wowzers dude. Under the gun, eh? It shouldn't be too hard, the basic you need to do is cut a hole in your floor board, shorten your shaft, and install, check tranny and replace any parts or whole tranny if necessary...

Can be done in a weekend easy. If you've got more time: make a front shaft, new crossmember, finish the interior. I think that's it right?

I dunno, I hate being under pressure myself. It makes me cut corners that I kick myself for later. :thumbdown:
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #34 on: Apr 21, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
yea i moved my crossmember back using some old ubolts,  till the truck-part-fairy brings me a MarlinXmember
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 21, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
Ok, Interesting situation now.  The squealing continues, but as I said before, it goes away with only minimal pressure on the clutch pedal (1/4"-1/2")  With my dads help, I tried it again, with him looking at the slave.  Before the slave even starts moving the shift fork, the sound stops.  Anything more than normal slave to fork contact stops the noise.  This leads me to beleive that I may simply have a bad throwout bearing.

Thoughts?

Wowzers dude. Under the gun, eh? It shouldn't be too hard, the basic you need to do is cut a hole in your floor board, shorten your shaft, and install, check tranny and replace any parts or whole tranny if necessary...

Can be done in a weekend easy. If you've got more time: make a front shaft, new crossmember, finish the interior. I think that's it right?

I dunno, I hate being under pressure myself. It makes me cut corners that I kick myself for later. :thumbdown:

I probably won't do everything before I leave, just get the tranny in order, and measure for the shafts.  I still have a 2 pieace rear, so I'm not so sure how much it'll cost and how long it'll take to get it modified.  I also have a 2nd gen xcab shaft that I'm hoping will bolt right up :crossed:  I'll have no idea until I actually measure, but I can hope.  I don't like throwing all new stuff in my truck and then putting a lot of miles on it all at once until I've driven it around locally first, make sure there are no bugs I may find in the middle of nowhere, because that is where I am going

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2006, 10:17:49 AM »
:dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

toyotasarebetter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '05
  • do it right the first time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 25, 2006, 04:56:28 AM »
Mine is doing the sameee thing.......... But mine sounded like a carrier bearing was going out at first.... And it only does it above half throttle and in every gear except four fourth.... But mine has never fallen out of gear.... The more throttle the LOUDER is gets.... I am thinkin it is the tranny sad face
85 toyota pickup, low end cam, 5 in alcan front springs all pro rears. 36 13.5 mickey tompsons... hysteer, 4 88s and detroits front and rear. u bolt flip rear... inboard shocks rear... bucket seats hurst shifter Bobbed bed. Doetch tech shocks..... and a heavy gas pedal... he he

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 25, 2006, 06:01:42 AM »
Sounds like you have a bad release bearing to me, at least.

The trans popping out of gear is probably caused by a failed shifter seat and bushing. Basically, when they go bad, you never really get it all the way into gear, so it's easy for it to pop out.  I'd replace that $20 worth of plastic before you go buying a new trans.  Shoot, you don't even have to remove the trans to fix that...

HTH,
Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

toyotasarebetter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '05
  • do it right the first time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 25, 2006, 12:27:53 PM »
No it stays in gear... It just makes a squeaking clunking noise when you are accelerating....and it does it in every gear except 4th
85 toyota pickup, low end cam, 5 in alcan front springs all pro rears. 36 13.5 mickey tompsons... hysteer, 4 88s and detroits front and rear. u bolt flip rear... inboard shocks rear... bucket seats hurst shifter Bobbed bed. Doetch tech shocks..... and a heavy gas pedal... he he

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 25, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a bad release bearing to me, at least.

The trans popping out of gear is probably caused by a failed shifter seat and bushing. Basically, when they go bad, you never really get it all the way into gear, so it's easy for it to pop out.  I'd replace that $20 worth of plastic before you go buying a new trans.  Shoot, you don't even have to remove the trans to fix that...

HTH,
Ryan

No it stays in gear... It just makes a squeaking clunking noise when you are accelerating....and it does it in every gear except 4th

I think he was talkin to me :yupyup: 

Ryan,
I figured its that shifter seat bushing. I'm gonna replace it one of these days, I swear :yupyup:  I think I've figured out the problem in all honesty.  I think my slave is shot. :dunno: I don't think its putting the pressure n the shift fork that it is supposed to, and as a result, the fork moves around in the belhousing.  Just putting pressure with one finger stops it from squealing, also after a the fluids get warmed up and I've used the clutch a few times, it stops :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 25, 2006, 09:00:12 PM »
You might try simply bleeding the clutch.  Those old 3.0's have a rubber flex line that is on the firewall on the passenger side that dries out and starts leaking.  Yours may have leaked enought to create an air pocket in the system, but not enought to render it inoperable.  I replace those lines frequently at work, so it's worth looking into.

When you go to buy the flex line, you can pick up the shifter seat and bushing too...  :yesnod:

Lemmie know how it turns out!

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 26, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »
You might try simply bleeding the clutch.  Those old 3.0's have a rubber flex line that is on the firewall on the passenger side that dries out and starts leaking.  Yours may have leaked enought to create an air pocket in the system, but not enought to render it inoperable.  I replace those lines frequently at work, so it's worth looking into.

When you go to buy the flex line, you can pick up the shifter seat and bushing too...  :yesnod:

Lemmie know how it turns out!

Ryan

That is another thing I've been wondering about.   I wouldn't be surprised if I had an air pocket, I just need someone to help me bleed the clutch, and I haven't really been around in the day light.  I already replaced that line : :hammerhead: it was rotted out, and the replacement was $40, so I just got some long hardline, and coiled it to allow it to flex with the drvietrain :thumbs: 

-Ronald Reagan